S. TX post-hurricane gun confiscation?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by sharky47, Oct 29, 2008.

1. sharky47

sharky47 Active Member

May 4, 2008
    A trusted friend of mine called me last night and told me he had an aquintance inform him that after the hurricane(s) recently that the LEO's were going around to known firearms owners and confiscating lawfully owned guns. She claims that multiple guns were taken from her and when she tried to get them back - she was informed that the firearms had been destroyed.

Now, I know this sounds like "my friend's girlfriend's sister's brother told me" kind of story, but I know most of the people in the info-chain. On top of that, this has happened before, except for the destruction of firearms. Now I know our sack of crap governer supposedly signed a law banning this type of activity - but everyone knows how well people calling themselves government tend to obey even their own rules.

Anyway, please - if anyone can confirm or debunk this story - chime in, with references if you have them, I would like to put this to bed......

2. Texas1911

Texas1911 TGT Addict

May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    I've heard nothing of the sort.

3. sharky47

sharky47 Active Member

May 4, 2008
    ^^^
    Right, I hadn't either - but then there are alot of things that I hadn't heard of until somene who was directly affect told me about.

Again, I hope you guys/gals can prove this wrong, but I wouldn't be surprised if there was any sliver of truth to it either.....

4. juwaba98

juwaba98 Well-Known

May 9, 2008
    North Zulch, TX
    Where at? There were a lot of storm affected areas in Texas. I know several people in such areas that have indicated nothing of the sort. More details to the allegations are necessary to disprove this. First impressions have pegged my meter but who knows.

bsmeter.jpg

5. Texas1911

Texas1911 TGT Addict

May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    I would assume she knows badge numbers, names, and/or what local PD was carrying this out?

6. juwaba98

juwaba98 Well-Known

May 9, 2008
    North Zulch, TX

Yeah, you would've had to have your head in the sand to miss that one. I haven't heard anything till the OP of this thread about it happening here. I'm sure specific details are forthcoming...........

7. JKTex

JKTex Well-Known

Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas
    There is no way to debunk hearsay and partial stories.

The thing that really pops out at me is "LEO's were going around to known firearms owners"..... Known? This is Texas, how are they "known"?

I'd like to hear more detail from the acquaintance of your trusted friend. A trusted friend should know basic details like, where and when.

Crap, I can't find that little smiley dude with the BS flag. :texas:

8. juwaba98

juwaba98 Well-Known

May 9, 2008
    North Zulch, TX
    JKTex,

Which one you lookin for? I gotta couple options for ya............

302449.gif

:bs:

bs.gif

and of course the meter I already used.

9. TxShooter

TxShooter Member

Mar 16, 2008
    Houston Metro Area
    I can easily debunk this story in the Galveston County area including the Bolivar / Crystal Beach / Gilchrist area. Mass gun confiscations simply did not occur and no weapons have been destroyed by Law Enforcement whatsoever since the storm. Weapons that are destroyed are done pursuant to court orders, not done on the whim of a law enforcement officer or official. Most LEOs I know are pro second amendment and stronly believe in the right of the individual to own firearms.

If you have a specific name of a person that claims this happened to them, please let me know. I would be very interested in checking this out as I know of NO STORM RELATED GUN SEZIURES in our area.

10. sharky47

sharky47 Active Member

May 4, 2008
    ^^^
    Thanks guys, I was hoping it was BS. I am going to attempt to get more info out of the complaintant just to satisfy my curiousity.

And yes, there is a way to know who owns guns, at least the ones bought by dealers - it's called a form 4473. Due to the GCA of 1968, the commercial sale of firearms had to go through FFL holders (GCA '68 has been proven to be a translation of Nazi law), leaving a paper trail. Then you have NICS check records - now I know they are supposed to be deleted, but I'll believe that when my $hit turns purple and smells like rainbow sherbert......