• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JohnnyBoyy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 31, 2013
    Any opinions on the S&W 15-22?

I need a cheap plinker and from what I've read about them on another site, guys seem to be pretty happy. Any other semi auto rifles in this class you guys would recommend?
    Military Camp

Nortex

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2013
    Republic of Texas
    Ordered one, didn't like the polymer, never shot it...traded it.

I run a CMMG conversion in an actual AR. Good fun. The 1:9 twist is a bit much for some of the faster 22LR ammo tho. I might get a 1:16 barrel to put on there...or not.

So really, I tend to use my good ole 10/22 for 22LR semi-auto purposes.

mitchntx

Sarcasm Sensei
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 15, 2012
    Waco-ish
    And I sold my last 10/22 because I never shot it after having a 15-22.

My 15-22 has 20K rounds through it and my wife's pink cammo version has close to 10K rounds.
    They eat anything run through it ...

Last edited:

shooterfpga

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Conroe, TX
    Was looking into one myself recently. I ended up getting a conversion kit for my ar15 and looking at a marlin 795 or 10/22 for a dedicated 22.

JohnnyBoyy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 31, 2013
    How accurate are these out to 100yds? I know it's a 22LR so it will eventually drop off, but is the gun fairly accurate for 100yd ranges?

I was looking at their standard models and the more expensive match grade components. Is there a noticeable difference in accuracy for the match grade components?

40Arpent

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    If you want "match grade" accuracy at 100 yds, get a bolt gun (or a target/custom 10/22). However, my standard 15-22 is very accurate, for a seim-auto, out to 50 yards. Well, at least it WAS, until it fired out of battery and blew it's guts out. LOL

JohnnyBoyy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 31, 2013
    If you want "match grade" accuracy at 100 yds, get a bolt gun (or a target/custom 10/22). However, my standard 15-22 is very accurate, for a seim-auto, out to 50 yards. Well, at least it WAS, until it fired out of battery and blew it's guts out. LOL

Yeah, I can see how blowing it up could cause some accuracy issues.

Any favorites for a 22 bolt gun?

IXLR8

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    Republic of Texas
    My initial thought is that this should have been posted in the rimfire section....

American Rifleman did a comparison and selected the S&W 15-22 rifle as the best of the replica types. It was also the most accurate. It has the most similar controls to the actual .223 rifle. Just for reference, the CCI tactical ammo was the most accurate of the bulk ammo tested in it.

If I were buying a replica type .22, the HK 416 .22 would be my choice. It does not have as many functioning AR parts as the 15-22, but it really does look like its big brother...

Last edited:

IXLR8

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    Republic of Texas
    Cci tactical is pretty good ammo. Its also supposedly made specifically for ar type rifles.

I was really surprised that the CCI tactical ammo grouped consistently better in all of the rifles, and by more than a margin of error. I bought a lot of it as a result, and have not been disappointed except some of it seems waxy. The performance is excellent.

shooterfpga

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Conroe, TX
    I was really surprised that the CCI tactical ammo grouped consistently better in all of the rifles, and by more than a margin of error. I bought a lot of it as a result, and have not been disappointed except some of it seems waxy. The performance is excellent.

Ive been trying to get some more but others have found out how good they are haha.

40Arpent

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    IXLR8 said:
    If I were buying a replica type .22, the HK 416 .22 would be my choice. It does not have as many functioning AR parts as the 15-22, but it really does look like its big brother...

But unlike the S&W, which is mfr'd by S&W, HK does not mfr the 416 .22. It's made by a bb gun company.

JohnnyBoyy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 31, 2013

Any recommendations for where to buy? LGS or online?

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Personal opinion, support your LGS. May not always be cheapest, but get a good relationship with them and it will be worth far more than the slightly higher cost of a few firearms.

Plus, an LGS is taken for granted until they have to close up and you can't run up the road for what you need.

Again, just my opinion.

rt-texas

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 30, 2013
    carrollton
    Purchased MOE FDE version back in February from LGS. Absolutely love it, wife enjoys shooting it as well.

Paid $620 out the door back when everybody was in panic mode.

No regrets no second thoughts. Would do it again in a heartbeat.

JohnnyBoyy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 31, 2013
    Purchased MOE FDE version back in February from LGS. Absolutely love it, wife enjoys shooting it as well.

Paid $620 out the door back when everybody was in panic mode.

No regrets no second thoughts. Would do it again in a heartbeat.

I also like the MOE version, nice hardware included.

Ah the choices with so many fun different toys to grab.

9x19

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    They had a few teething problems early on, but S&W has corrected them.

My latest one is up to match my M&P 15 Sport... cheap practice, and more fun than you'd think at first glance.

Top Bottom