• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • m5215

Pistoleer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2018
    McKinney, TX
    I tried to remove the front and rear sights on one of my 5906's as they need to be replaced but even after treating them with Kroil for 24 hours they are frozen in place. The hex screw on the rear sight snapped when I attempted to unscrew it so the hex sides in the screw are stripped. After wearing out 2 new sight removal punches from repeatedly trying to remove the sights neither one of them even slightly moved.

Anyone have any suggestions or perhaps know a gunsmith in the Plano area that can work on a 5906?
    Gun Zone Deals

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    From which side are you using a punch? Do you have a slide micrometer or a divider?

Measure one side of the dove tail. Then the other side. If one measures bigger. Push the sight that direction.

On the set screw. It's gotta come out. Use a torx bit on the set screw. Find a size big enough to where the torx bit has to be tapped into the set screw bore. Gently, while firmly pushing the bit down. See if it'll turn. If you strip it with the bit you used. Go up a size. Say from a T10 to a T15.

If it doesn't move, no problem. You'll need a butane torch. Heat the set screw up. Spray with the oil. Let set 10-15 mins. Try to turn again.

If it doesn't turn. Heat and turn at the same time. It'll come out.

Tapping the sights. Brass drift and a ball peen hammer.

Last edited:

m5215

Pistoleer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2018
    McKinney, TX
    Unfortunately it's not working out for me and I don't have a torch that I can use. I am going to have to get a gunsmith involved with this as I don't want to damage this 5906 as it's literally in mint condition so I am going to have a professional take care of it.

If anyone knows of a gunsmith that can work on a 5906 preferably in the North Dallas area please let me know.

m5215

Pistoleer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2018
    McKinney, TX
    Please let us know how it turns out, do I keep recommending them or write them off?

Avoid "Superior" Gun Care if you value the condition of your pistol. They scratched and marred the slide in several locations and the rear sight has multiple dents on it from both sides as they apparently smashed it into the pistol when installing it. I now have a pistol that is no longer in the mint condition that it was in when I gave it to them. To say that I DO NOT RECOMMEND THEM is an understatement.

gshayd

Ugliest house on the block.
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2018
    Beaumont, Texas
    I had a similar problem on a brand new Canik Pistol when I was removing the top plate to put a red dot on it. The hex head stripped out on one side that attaches the rear sight plate I purchased a screw removal set for around 10 bucks. Patience is the key here. I drilled out the head of the hex screw. then used the screw removal tool and tapped it in with a hammer. It caught and the screw came out with the tool in a drill. Sorry to hear about your experience with the gunsmith.

Top Bottom