S&w 66-2

Discussion in 'Handguns' started by MuddyWaterMan, Aug 19, 2009.

1. MuddyWaterMan

MuddyWaterMan Active Member

Jun 25, 2009
    Houston
    First pistol I ever bought (21st birthday present to myself) was my S&W66-2.
    I have been reading a lot about them not handling the .357 rounds. Anyone got experience with these? Should I just use it as a .38? I would hate to but getting rid of the gun is NOT an option.... Pretty much sits on the nightstand now that I have my 640-3. Any feedback , tips, advice or sage like responses would be greatly appreciated!

2. Bullseye Shooter

Bullseye Shooter Active Member

Apr 28, 2008
    Texas Panhandle
    The only thing that will wear out shooting hotter loads is the cylinder stop (that little widget under the cylinder that comes up from inside the frame to lock the cylinder up). It will wear normally since it moves up and down locks the cylinder in place when you pull the trigger and the hammer drops. If it is worn, the cylinder can rotate even if the revolver is cocked, which is a bad thing and it can mess up timing. I wore one out on my Model 14 (K-38) and all I shoot are target loads since it's a .38 Special.

Any good gunsmith can replace in no time at all, so it's not a big deal.

3. Bullseye Shooter

Bullseye Shooter Active Member

Apr 28, 2008
    Texas Panhandle
    Both the Model 66 and Model 14 are K frames, by the way. I forgot to mention that in my previous post. The 66 is just the stainless version of the Model 19.

4. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Active Member

Jan 9, 2009
    Round Rock
    I have worked on hundreds of model 66's. The primary problem I saw was a condition called End Shake Cylinder. The crane (the part the cylinder rotates on) will get peened shorter with time. This process is sped up by shooting Magnums. After about 500 or so fullhouse Mags, you may feel some fore and aft movement on the cylinder. This is pretty easily corrected with End Shake Bushings from Power Custom. The good news is once you install them it may take 1000 mags to prompt more service.

Generally the K-frames should be shot primarily with Specials and sparingly with Magnums.