• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • thescoutranch

TN Transplant - We love living in TX
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 5, 2020
    Georgetown
    It’s interesting, he’s had an account on here since 2013 and looks like he used to be active and then went silent for years. Now all of a sudden he pops up again.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    I hope this is the final update.

The original owner of the account has been advised that it was compromised as of, at the latest, early April 2021. He was assured the account is closed and advised of the security measures he needs to take. He also has my phone number if he has questions.

As for the scammer, it appears he was working out of Nigeria. I haven't done anything extensive to figure him out but he did seem to make at least one mistake found in our logs where he signed in from home without using his VPN to appear to be hopping all over the western U.S.

As for the future, it worries me that some scammers are becoming this sophisticated. This guy gave himself away in many ways but his English was better than most and he took a substantial amount of time to tailor the scam to appeal to the specific audience found on TGT. If either the Python or the S&W sale had succeeded in ripping off the interested parties, the work he put in would have been adequately compensated.

What bugs me is I have no idea how many other scams he's running elsewhere, right now. Given his knowledge of what buttons to press to make firearms enthusiasts drool, I feel sure he's not going to give up after failing here.

Many thanks to Vaquero, Sam Colt, innominate, and everyone who brought this to the attention of the staff. Also thanks to texcross for letting us run with what we saw.

Lessons learned?
    • Hit the report button if something seems fishy.
    • Don't send money to someone you don't know.
    • Deal face to face whenever possible.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    ...As for the future, it worries me that some scammers are becoming this sophisticated.
    In another enthusiast sector I participate in, we’re also seeing across the board increased sophistication by scammers, down to the level of matching documentation for serialized parts and much better pricing that’s *just* under the expected price for the part. With a lot of painstaking research, that serialized part and accompanying documentation can be traced back to eventually find the disparity.

Definitely buyer beware and ftf transactions more so than ever.

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    In another enthusiast sector I participate in, we’re also seeing across the board increased sophistication by scammers, down to the level of matching documentation for serialized parts and much better pricing that’s *just* under the expected price for the part. With a lot of painstaking research, that serialized part and accompanying documentation can be traced back to eventually find the disparity.

Definitely buyer beware and ftf transactions more so than ever.
    All the more reason to not give a complete stranger access to your drivers license via photo.

BOS/Take a photo of your license ads should be required to give the buyer option of FFL transfer.

thescoutranch

TN Transplant - We love living in TX
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 5, 2020
    Georgetown
    Another scam that has happened on here was, someone replied to my want to buy ad. Their brother up in Montana happen to have the item I was looking for, So he passed on the contact information to me. It didn’t feel right so I did report it to the moderators and that person was Banned.
    Just be aware you’re a target if you have a want to buy item out there also.

A big thank you to all the moderators and administrators on TGT who help make this forum what it is.

Top Bottom