• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Riley

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 20, 2023
    Austin
    I have carried a S&W M&P Shield M2.0 9mm with a Hogue Handall and extended magazine in a Trex arms sidecar 2.0 for a littler over a year. It’s still too small for my liking.

I want to move to a Glock 19 or Glock 45 in a Tenicor holster.

This is for multiple reasons.

1. Size. I have been regularly dry firing and practicing a solid grip. The size is nice for concealment but a huge factor when considering capability. (This is also a pro because I want to shoot USPSA with my carry gun)

2. Capacity. I don’t like carrying two mags that only total what one mag could carry in a larger gun.

3. Commonality. Not to say that the Shield doesn’t have commonality with mags, accessories, and holsters. But, the Glock has much more.

FINALLY:

For those with some insight, should I be leaning toward the 19 or the 45. I’m literally on the fence. Thanks!
    Gun Zone Deals

Chewbacca7685

Certified Golf Cart Driver
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2023
    Mission
    I have carried a S&W M&P Shield M2.0 9mm with a Hogue Handall and extended magazine in a Trex arms sidecar 2.0 for a littler over a year. It’s still too small for my liking.

I want to move to a Glock 19 or Glock 45 in a Tenicor holster.

This is for multiple reasons.

1. Size. I have been regularly dry firing and practicing a solid grip. The size is nice for concealment but a huge factor when considering capability. (This is also a pro because I want to shoot USPSA with my carry gun)

2. Capacity. I don’t like carrying two mags that only total what one mag could carry in a larger gun.

3. Commonality. Not to say that the Shield doesn’t have commonality with mags, accessories, and holsters. But, the Glock has much more.

FINALLY:

For those with some insight, should I be leaning toward the 19 or the 45. I’m literally on the fence. Thanks!

From my minimal perspective of experience with Glock, if concealability isn’t a huge concern for you, have you looked into the 19x? From what I understand it’s similar to the 45. I’ve recently gotten my hands on one and ended up ordering it to replace my little Taurus G2C as I’m not the biggest fan of all these tiny 9mm guns either. It has a 19 length slide but a 17 size frame. Obviously the longer grip can be an issue for some to conceal but, at least in my case, I’m a bigger dude and am not worried about that. I like the extra space for my sausage fingers. It doesn’t have the magwell flare like the regular gen 5s which can help concealment and I like the tan color and that it comes with 3 mags, 1 17rd and 2 19rd. So ya got plenty of capacity. And it comes with night sights from the factory instead of the usual plastic garbage. The trigger even feels decent for a Glock.

With that said it’s super easy to control thanks to the larger frame so I would think it could bode well for USPSA. The biggest drawback is the lack of an optic cut. So if you plan on using an optic I’d go with the 45. I think there’s an mos version.

Again, just my limited take as I’ve never really been a Glock person until I stumbled across the 19x and got to try it out. But I’ve been doing my homework on it lately as I plan to make it my edc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Riley

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 20, 2023
    Austin
    From my minimal perspective of experience with Glock, if concealability isn’t a huge concern for you, have you looked into the 19x? From what I understand it’s similar to the 45. I’ve recently gotten my hands on one and ended up ordering it to replace my little Taurus G2C as I’m not the biggest fan of all these tiny 9mm guns either. It has a 19 length slide but a 17 size frame. Obviously the longer grip can be an issue for some to conceal but, at least in my case, I’m a bigger dude and am not worried about that. I like the extra space for my sausage fingers. It doesn’t have the magwell flare like the regular gen 5s which can help concealment and I like the tan color and that it comes with 3 mags, 1 17rd and 2 19rd. So ya got plenty of capacity. And it comes with night sights from the factory instead of the usual plastic garbage. The trigger even feels decent for a Glock.

With that said it’s super easy to control thanks to the larger frame so I would think it could bode well for USPSA. The biggest drawback is the lack of an optic cut. So if you plan on using an optic I’d go with the 45. I think there’s an mos version.

Again, just my limited take as I’ve never really been a Glock person until I stumbled across the 19x and got to try it out. But I’ve been doing my homework on it lately as I plan to make it my edc.

I did look at the 19X first and I do like it, but I’m leaning toward the 45 for a few reasons. The biggest is that the 45 can take any mags while the 19X is finicky with which mags it will take. Also there is a gap that the 19X has that the 45 doesn’t that some people says pinches them in recoil, probably nbd? But maybe annoying. Also, it’s black which will, in my head, conceal better?

Chewbacca7685

Certified Golf Cart Driver
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2023
    Mission
    I did look at the 19X first and I do like it, but I’m leaning toward the 45 for a few reasons. The biggest is that the 45 can take any mags while the 19X is finicky with which mags it will take. Also there is a gap that the 19X has that the 45 doesn’t that some people says pinches them in recoil, probably nbd? But maybe annoying. Also, it’s black which will, in my head, conceal better?

Yea I’ve seen that one of the biggest drawbacks is mag compatibility. For my own purposes I’m not really concerned because it’s only the gen5 baseplates that won’t allow it to line up. Previous gens, extendo sticks and magpul mags I’ve heard work just fine since they have the smaller baseplate anyway.

Where’s the gap on the 19x? I didn’t notice anything in the one I shot. As far as color you’re probably right, but if it’s concealed in a good holster with a good belt in the right spot and stays covered it could be bright pink for all I care lol.

I wanted to keep S&W in my consideration as well but I borrowed a friends shield plus one day and haaaated it. Everything from the grip to the trigger just felt terrible. I remember having an M&P 9 compact 10+ years ago and liking it but I guess they just aren’t for me anymore. For me as an edc I was just looking for something that fits my hand comfortably, shoots well and goes bang. I know with Glock I don’t have to worry about it. Plus I won’t really miss it as much while it’s sitting in an evidence locker lol. Just a utilitarian carry piece. I know we all like to hate on em but at the end of the day it’s proven and undeniable.

Now I can move on to my AR builds lol.

TxAgZ28

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 21, 2010
    San Antonio, TX

I'm curious about this gap as well ? Never heard this issue. I have a 19X I've put a couple thousand rounds through and never been pinched.

It won't take Gen 5 magazines, but that's no problem. Gen 3/4 magazines are plentiful and cheap. Sometimes, you can find the 17-round coyote colored factory 19X magazines for cheaper than the black ones.

I recently installed the Glock Performance Trigger on my 19X and it's a great upgrade for the Gen 5. If you do go G45, my suggestion is to get the MOS version. Gives you options down the road for an optic if you so desire for your competition shooting.

Riley

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 20, 2023
    Austin
    Yea I’ve seen that one of the biggest drawbacks is mag compatibility. For my own purposes I’m not really concerned because it’s only the gen5 baseplates that won’t allow it to line up. Previous gens, extendo sticks and magpul mags I’ve heard work just fine since they have the smaller baseplate anyway.

Where’s the gap on the 19x? I didn’t notice anything in the one I shot. As far as color you’re probably right, but if it’s concealed in a good holster with a good belt in the right spot and stays covered it could be bright pink for all I care lol.

I wanted to keep S&W in my consideration as well but I borrowed a friends shield plus one day and haaaated it. Everything from the grip to the trigger just felt terrible. I remember having an M&P 9 compact 10+ years ago and liking it but I guess they just aren’t for me anymore. For me as an edc I was just looking for something that fits my hand comfortably, shoots well and goes bang. I know with Glock I don’t have to worry about it. Plus I won’t really miss it as much while it’s sitting in an evidence locker lol. Just a utilitarian carry piece. I know we all like to hate on em but at the end of the day it’s proven and undeniable.

Now I can move on to my AR builds lol.

I'm curious about this gap as well ? Never heard this issue. I have a 19X I've put a couple thousand rounds through and never been pinched.

It won't take Gen 5 magazines, but that's no problem. Gen 3/4 magazines are plentiful and cheap. Sometimes, you can find the 17-round coyote colored factory 19X magazines for cheaper than the black ones.

I recently installed the Glock Performance Trigger on my 19X and it's a great upgrade for the Gen 5. If you do go G45, my suggestion is to get the MOS version. Gives you options down the road for an optic if you so desire for your competition shooting.
    Sorry, apparently I mistook this for the 17 gen 5 discussed here.

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    <>

After fooling with GLOCKS for decades, I’m going all G26’s.

If you need a carbine, get one ! Several carbines now accept GLOCK magazines.

Once more, my mantra is that the best carry gun is the one which is MOST LIKELY TO BE THERE when needed.

<>

TxAgZ28

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 21, 2010
    San Antonio, TX
    Sorry, apparently I mistook this for the 17 gen 5 discussed here.

I see, you're talking about the half-moon cut on the grip. Not all 17 G5's have it, and I could see where you would get hung up inserting a magazine, like the video showed. Thankfully, the 45 and 19X don't have it at all!

Best of luck !

Top Bottom