• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rifleman55

Jul 17, 2008
    I haven't seen the pistol, but if it is set up for competition it will use full moon clips. It takes way too much time to load with speed loaders, and the extraction system that they used to use didn't work all that well.

London

The advocate's Devil.
    Sep 28, 2010
    Twilight Zone
    "9-29"

So they're trying to say it's a Model 29 in 9MM. I mean, technically I know that's pretty much correct, but damn, that's a weird marketing decision. Weird that they don't really explain what the Jerry Miculek thingis about, too.

That said I've ben wondering hwy 9MM revolvers aren't more popular. Ammo should be pretty much on par with .38 SPL at a much lower price.

London

The advocate's Devil.
    Sep 28, 2010
    Twilight Zone
    A snub nose would be nice.

The market for snub nose N-frames has always been pretty limited, but S&W has made a few. They're probably going to wait to see how this thing sells before they go full-steam ahead on different barrels.

shortround

TGT Addict
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    I would like to see Ruger reintroduce the SP101 in 9mm Luger. If they ever do, I'll jump on it like a duck on a june bug.

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    After reading a bit, this particular gun is purpose built specifically for a niche market of competitive shooters. And priced accordingly.
    We will probably never see one in standard configuration.

Acera

TGT Addict
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    That cylinder to frame gap looks fugly!

Longer cylinder or shorter frame would have been nice.

(Both Charter Arms and Taurus currently make 9mm compact revolvers. Hard to find, only seen one for sale by a retailer. Nice guns.)

Smith-929-close.jpg

HillRider

BANNED!!!
    Nov 5, 2013
    Helotes, TX
    It's funny how S&W will throw this thing out there but ignore the demand for more 632s in 327 Federal, an airweight version would be nice too, or even the 432s in 32 H&R. I hate to say that Ruger is spanking S&W right now as far as new revolvers go.

HillRider

BANNED!!!
    Nov 5, 2013
    Helotes, TX
    I think if S&W came out with a pocket-size airweight revolver with at least 6 rounds chambered in 327 Federal, 9mm, or .38 special +P, then we all could stop dinking around with these bulky, misshapen, and unreliable subcompact semi-autos.

seeker_two

My posts don't count....
    Jul 1, 2008
    That place east of Waco....
    With S&W targeting the competition market and selling it through the Performance Center, I'm sure they'll sell a half-dozen or so for every 100 Pitbull revolvers that Charter Arms sells....

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I guess I'm missing something.....but what is the point of having a revolver in 9mm?

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    I guess I'm missing something.....but what is the point of having a revolver in 9mm?
    It's the same reason they sell those belt attachments that function as a magazine of clips. (No, that's not a typo. Google "James Austin Moon Clip Server".)

Folks who are serious about shooting at the top level of USPSA with a revolver will buy these revolvers without batting an eye. They offer 8-shot capacity (more is better and 8 is the best you can do within the design envelope of any mainstream revolver frame) with enough power for competition. Also, given the way those guys, at the highest level, are willing to do anything to shave 10ths of a second off their times, I feel absolutely sure that the slightly tapered 9mm case will give them a (psychological, if not real) advantage in reloading time using moon clips.

ETA - They'll be bought up by guys who gear up like this:

Last edited:

Spcwolf

Apr 16, 2013
    Conroe tx
    I think if S&W came out with a pocket-size airweight revolver with at least 6 rounds chambered in 327 Federal, 9mm, or .38 special +P, then we all could stop dinking around with these bulky, misshapen, and unreliable subcompact semi-autos.

I second the 9mm or 327mag, if they would make it a 3 inch barrel on top of it all. I would sell my pocket auto.
    I would be curious how 327 compares to 9mm in ballistics in that short of a barrel.

Acera

TGT Addict
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas

Cheaper and usually easier to find ammo than a .38 or others.

Can be made with a shorter cylinder than traditional revolver cartridges, so the entire gun can be a little bit smaller.

Reliable power and almost absolute functional reliability inherent in a DA revolver.

Some folks don't like having multiple calibers around, one is enough (*reason we are shopping for one for herselves mom.)

Good thing we all see our individual needs differently and there are many choices for us all.

robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    Some folks don't like having multiple calibers around, one is enough (*reason we are shopping for one for herselves mom.)
    Good thing we all see our individual needs differently and there are many choices for us all.

Amen.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Irowland1994
    Top Bottom