• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • blueangel64

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    Spring
    I got to attend a SA airshow a few yrs. ago. We had VIP seating in the Blue Angels section. Got to mingle with and get autographs of the B/A pilots after the show. All I can say is AWESOME!!! I had the privilege of working on "Fifi" a while back. I used to live in Midland, TX(home of CAF) incredible experience. The only thing I didnt get to do is fly in her.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    There were a helluva lot more Phantoms flying than 'Varks (5,195 vs 563, to be precise), and was flown by twelve nations in total compared to two with the F-111. Heck, earlier this year, Germany offered 20 F-4s to Croatia until replacements for the latter's Mig-21s are brought.

Plus, the Collings Foundation in Houston is still flying one, and there is one being used by the USAF Heritage Flight.

The Collings plane was the one that I saw. It was impressive. I think that some of the other Vietnam jets at the show were from the same place - an A4 and A1. Don't know where the C-47 came from, but at least it really was a C-47 and not a repainted DC-3.

Rhino

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 22, 2009
    DFW Area
    Which plane?
    This one...

IMG_1539.jpg

orbitup

Sticker Cop
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 6, 2010
    Waxyscratchy
    There were a helluva lot more Phantoms flying than 'Varks (5,195 vs 563, to be precise), and was flown by twelve nations in total compared to two with the F-111. Heck, earlier this year, Germany offered 20 F-4s to Croatia until replacements for the latter's Mig-21s are brought.

Plus, the Collings Foundation in Houston is still flying one, and there is one being used by the USAF Heritage Flight.

Yeah, I know I am just biased. I used to work in the engine shop at Upper Heyford and cut my teeth on the TF-30. It's a bit of a pig, but that's why I love it. I learned a lot. I went on to work on TF-34s (A-10) and that was like working with Legos compared to the TF-30.

Rhino

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 22, 2009
    DFW Area
    That's ok. At least you were polite. It's not cool arguing with a drunk guy about it NOT being a "Bird Dog" just like he flew in Vietnam and taking heat over stuff that is silly. Especially when you could call his "knowledge" so bad you wonder if he was really there or not. It's just sad.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    That's ok. At least you were polite. It's not cool arguing with a drunk guy about it NOT being a "Bird Dog" just like he flew in Vietnam and taking heat over stuff that is silly. Especially when you could call his "knowledge" so bad you wonder if he was really there or not. It's just sad.

Haha, I never argue with experts... unless I'm an expert in the same area.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    Dang Skully, that's a great pic! I work down the road from the 149 FW/182 FS and haven't seen that bird. They are a Formal Training Unit for the F-16, getting pilots qualified in that aircraft...

Cheers! M2

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    Dang again, I might just have to drive past the flightline this afternoon on my way home to see if that beautiful Viper is on the ramp...

Skully

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 16, 2011
    San Antonio
    Dang Skully, that's a great pic! I work down the road from the 149 FW/182 FS and haven't seen that bird. They are a Formal Training Unit for the F-16, getting pilots qualified in that aircraft...

Cheers! M2

I was stationed at Kleine Brogel AB in Belgium in 1991 when they had the NATO Tiger meet. The Belgian 31st Squadron from the base had an incredible paint job on one of their F-16's.

Here is a link:

1991: FA-94 « 31 Tiger squadron

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    111's always get the shaft. Except in Australia, they love'm.

Apparently not, as this is what they are doing with them...

191570-f111s-dumped-near-ipswich.jpg

RAAF Base Amberley F-111 fighter jets end up on Swanbank landfill site near Ipswich

F-111 fans are outraged many of the iconic RAAF fighter jets have been dumped at a landfill site near Ipswich.

A RAAF spokesman confirmed to Ipswich News on Thursday that 23 of the planes had been dumped at the Swanbank landfill site.

The jets had been located at RAAF Base Amberley, near Ipswich, before being decommissioned late last year.

The F-111s have been replaced by the Super Hornets, with the final four being delivered from the US to Amberley with a spectacular flypast over southeast Queensland in October.

(full story and video at title link)

orbitup

Sticker Cop
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 6, 2010
    Waxyscratchy
    Apparently not, as this is what they are doing with them...

That's a shame, and an awful site. But when you read the article you can feel the love they have for them.

The RAAF spokesman said a service for all involved with the F-111s, including the families of airmen lost in crashes, will be held at the memorial garden near the front gate of RAAF Base Amberley at 9am on Friday, December 2.

Top Bottom