• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • claymore504

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    Katy, TX
    Just curious what people think. How many rounds do you think have been put through this Operator 45ACP? I bought this new and these pictures are from when I broke it down to lube it before the first range session. I am fairly new to the 1911 and to me this looks like this handgun has been fired, a lot. However, I reached out to SA and they stated this wear is normal from fitting at the factory.
    ZH4ii6J.jpg

6ADw0Yp.jpg

QeA3TGk.jpg
    ARJ Defense ad

Last edited:

tekiwap

Fudds gonna fudd
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 16, 2021
    SWOK
    How many rounds do you think have been put through this Operator 45ACP? I bought this new and these pictures are from when I broke it down to lube it before the first range session.
    That don't look right. Did you but it new from Springfield? Or new from a shop? If you got it from a shop, does that shop have a range?

That looks more than the standard 3-5 test rounds and normal fitting at the factory. I think that gun is used.

Last edited:

lordmorgul

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 15, 2020
    Parker Co
    I don’t think mine looks like that after hundreds of full power rounds. I believe that’s not just wear, but deliberate fitting or “break-in” attempts outside the factory. If it’s truly new, then that one required much more hand fitting than mine to make it out the door. That is possible as every gun has a tolerance stackup that is unique from its components.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    Had a Canadian buddy stationed here who bought a Kimber 1911 from a local gun shop in SA (now gone).

We took it out to the range for the first time, and it jammed so bad we couldn't get it apart.

He took it back to the shop, who sent it back to the factory who said it had been "modified."

Now, my friend was about as honest of a person as you could find, and I know he would not have messed with it then denied doing so.

I also don't doubt Kimber.

I suspect (and I don't have actual proof to support this accusation) that some gun shops shoot or allow customers to shoot pistols which are still later sold as "new."

I guess they consider it like taking a new car on a test drive, is it no longer "new" afterward?

With vehicles it is easily evident by the mileage, with a handgun it can be tougher to tell.

That Loaded (which are great pistols!) looks like it's been shot a lot more times than just factory testing!

But as I said, it can be hard to tell for sure!

claymore504

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    Katy, TX
    So reached out to SA again and they said it was made Nov 2021. The shop I bought it from said they got it from thier distributer and I bought it a couple days later and they never shot it. It runs fine at this point, so I am just going to run it. I do not fell like wending it back to SA for a cosmetic issue for them to possibly keep it for a long time. Thank you for all the input everyone.

candcallen

Crotchety, Snarky, Truthful. You'll get over it.
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    Is there alot of oil on there making it look worse than it is?

What does the barrel hood and barrel bushing/barrell lock up area look like.

That's does not look right at all for a new gun. There is wear on the slide like a bad cerakote job has been wore in, in places it shouldnt.

I would send them the pics, ask them if it is supposed to be this way send you a couple pics from another.

Properly fitted polished surfaces are bright shiney and smooth. Worn in polished surfaces may look like some of the areas on your gun but others look like neither.

IMHO

FNORD

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 30, 2009
    HOUSTON
    I’m sorry to say I agree with you and everyone else that the amount and patterns of wear to the finish and engagement points are plainly inconsistent with the purported factory new condition.

I’ve never dealt with Springfield but wonder if perhaps they might be more interested in the ramifications of a consumer in your circumstances and the exposure that the seeking of earnest feedback from high profile forums.

The dealer from which you purchased the pistol might also appreciate the chance to meaningfully address this quandary rather than enjoy the public and factory scrutiny that might engender.

Last edited:

claymore504

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    Katy, TX
    I sent pictures to SA and the dealer. The dealer said they would forward them to thier SA rep, but as far as they knew it is brand new. I will get some more pictures up here for yall to comment on.

claymore504

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    Katy, TX
    Ok, thanks for all the feedback. I am going to look into this more with SA. Wonder of this was a T&E gun or used maybe for a range day put on by SA?

Top Bottom