• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sasquatch

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    That's pretty cool that the bullet stabilized so well with the experimental sabot. That idea opens up a lot of options when bullets for reloading get harder to come by - at least if one can make sabots for them. 32ACP bullet for 9mm / .38 / .357 or use your 9mm bullets in your .40 or .45s... much more reliable out of a revolver no doubt. I'm curious how they would do in say, a .45 Colt revolver (one designed to take stout loads like a new model Blackhawk or newer Smith & Wesson stuff, or a Ruger Alaskan) and taken to their hotter safe loadings.

gll

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    I'd like to try that in a revolver
    That's pretty cool that the bullet stabilized so well with the experimental sabot. That idea opens up a lot of options when bullets for reloading get harder to come by - at least if one can make sabots for them. 32ACP bullet for 9mm / .38 / .357 or use your 9mm bullets in your .40 or .45s... much more reliable out of a revolver no doubt. I'm curious how they would do in say, a .45 Colt revolver (one designed to take stout loads like a new model Blackhawk or newer Smith & Wesson stuff, or a Ruger Alaskan) and taken to their hotter safe loadings.
    I was thinking .38 out of a .45 Colt too, but I think the bullets would have to be jacketed!

You think velocities could approach 2000fps? Would the sabots survive?

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Sah-butt?

<sigh> and <cringe>

It's not "sabbott". It's not "say'-bo".

It's "sa-ˈbō". I'll even accept "sə-ˈbō", the slight mispronunciation that usually comes out of my mouth.

See here. The pronunciation he was using is only correct if he's talking about a shoe or part of a shoe.

It was tough to get through the video because his pronunciation of the word was so insulting to the ear. To me, it was totally fingernails-on-a-chalkboard offputting.

I was thinking .38 out of a .45 Colt too, but I think the bullets would have to be jacketed!

Back when surplus .50-to-.30 sabots were easily available, I saw some figures on how they'd work with/in a .500 S&W revolver. The initial calculations indicated you could probably get something close to .30-06 velocities. (My recollection is that this info was from the John Ross white paper on the .500 S&W but I can't locate it online at the moment. If anyone has it, feel free to fact-check me.)

The problem is that I never saw anyone actually carry out the experiments. Now that those sabots are no longer easily available, I imagine that few people will be willing to invest in a 3D printer just to verify their hunches.

ETA: I found the John Ross paper here. As usual, my memory failed me; the info about using sabots was not there. I don't know where I read it.

Last edited:

Sasquatch

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia

I think they could at least hit 1750 or 1800 - but 2000 is not unreasonable to expect. I was watching Aaron Cowen's review of the FK BRNO - the 7.5 they use clocks in at 2000 fps from a 5 inch barrel'ed automatic. I think a properly designed sabot that gives a good gas seal would work really well. I think for penetration, a jacketed bullet, or hard cast lead would be good, but for dumping energy into the target, soft cast lead would be fine.

I was pleasantly surprised at the accuracy he was demonstrating with these rounds - with some tweaking, and finding the right bullet - I think that those groups might tighten up even more. His best 7 to me looked to be about 3.5-4 inches, he said 3, but it looked a tad wider than that to me. At 25 yards that's way better than I do with most pistols!

Reactions: gll

gll

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    Sah-butt?

<sigh> and <cringe>

It's not "sabbott". It's not "say'-bo".

It's "sa-ˈbō". I'll even accept "sə-ˈbō", the slight mispronunciation that usually comes out of my mouth.

See here. The pronunciation he was using is only correct if he's talking about a shoe or part of a shoe.

It was tough to get through the video because his pronunciation of the word was so insulting to the ear. To me, it was totally fingernails-on-a-chalkboard offputting.

Back when surplus .50-to-.30 sabots were easily available, I saw some figures on how they'd work with/in a .500 S&W revolver. The initial calculations indicated you could probably get something close to .30-06 velocities. (My recollection is that this info was from the John Ross white paper on the .500 S&W but I can't locate it online at the moment. If anyone has it, feel free to fact-check me.)

The problem is that I never saw anyone actually carry out the experiments. Now that those sabots are no longer easily available, I imagine that few people will be willing to invest in a 3D printer just to verify their hunches.

ETA: I found the John Ross paper here. As usual, my memory failed me; the info about using sabots was not there. I don't know where I read it.
    Mispronunciations, like that, don't bother me much... Nobody knows everything, and I still struggle with pronunciations of some words I read as a kid (and adopted pronunciations for) before I ever heard them spoken.

Ask google (not that google is the authority) how to say sabot...

American is 'sa•buht', but British is 'sa•bow'...

Youtube pronunciations specific to 'sabot' run the gamut...

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Mispronunciations, like that, don't bother me much
    They usually don't bother me so much, either. But there are exceptions like...
    • sabot (see above)
    • Sako (Sock-oh)
    • Hyundai (rhymes with Sunday)
    ...and a few others.

I don't get things right all the time. I mispronounce lots of things. But before I'd go on record with a YT video, I think I'd take the time to look up any out-of-the-ordinary words. Maybe that's just me.

gll

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    They usually don't bother me so much, either. But there are exceptions like...
    • sabot (see above)
    • Sako (Sock-oh)
    • Hyundai (rhymes with Sunday)
    ...and a few others.

I don't get things right all the time. I mispronounce lots of things. But before I'd go on record with a YT video, I think I'd take the time to look up any out-of-the-ordinary words. Maybe that's just me.
    Like I said, if he googled it... he pronounced it just like google...

If he had youtubed it, considering the plethora of pronunciations there, he could have come away nothing but confused...

It's probably not just you, but it's not me...

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Like I said, if he googled it... he pronounced it just like google...
    Yeah. That's why google is not trustworthy. Google indexes stuff without consideration for the competence of the people who put it on the web.

In these cases, in the old days, we'd ask a librarian. Nowadays, we need to teach kids that a proper dictionary is more authoritative than anything they can find on YT or on a random web page linked by google.

It's too bad librarians are going away. Their job used to entail, among many other things, teaching people which sources were trustworthy and which weren't. Everyone needs to study that problem these days.

Bottom line - I'll stand by my link to Merriam-Webster. It agrees with me.

no2gates

These are not the droids you're looking for.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 31, 2013
    Grand Prairie, TX
    Yeah. That's why google is not trustworthy. Google indexes stuff without consideration for the competence of the people who put it on the web.

In these cases, in the old days, we'd ask a librarian. Nowadays, we need to teach kids that a proper dictionary is more authoritative than anything they can find on YT or on a random web page linked by google.

It's too bad librarians are going away. Their job used to entail, among many other things, teaching people which sources were trustworthy and which weren't. Everyone needs to study that problem these days.

Bottom line - I'll stand by my link to Merriam-Webster. It agrees with me.
    So THAT gets your feathers ruffled and not all the dinglebunnies here on this forum that don't know the difference between your and you're?
    I wish there was a modified "ban hammer" to correct those faux pas.

Top Bottom