• ...and so much more!
  • Glenn B

Retired & Loving It
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Texarkana - Across The Border
    I lived in (existed in) upstate NY for a few miserable years. I used to hear "hunters" talk about taking "sound shots" - that is to say that they heard something in the thick brush and shot at it to see if it was a deer. I heard it enough times to understand that it wasn't a joke but rather something people actually did.
    I lived in NY most of my life and hunted deer every year in several parts of the state. I heard a lot of stupid stuff but never heard anyone talking about purposefully shooting at a sound. I suppose they are out there though. Lots of idiots, in every state I have hunted, do stupid stuff every year involving fatalities. The story you related about the father shooting his son seems vaguely familiar to me; although, while I believe it is this one, it is somewhat different that the way you told it so am not sure it is the same incident but it is darned similar.\

And let me add - RIP the little girl who was shot by her dad near Longview. A tragedy like that is heartbreaking even for those of us who did not know them and I can not imagine the grief of the girls parents, other relatives and friends.

Sadly, every day during hunting season somewhere, folks bring loaded long arms into their vehicles and all too often have an unintentional discharge with them. Sadder still is when the result was like this one.

I see absolutely no reason to bring a loaded long gun into a vehicle when on a hunting trip and also none to unload inside the vehicle. The father might consider himself lucky not to be charged with some form of criminally negligent homicide, that way he will be free to off himself without guards putting him on a suicide watch.

Last edited:

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    I lived in NY most of my life and hunted deer every year in several parts of the state. I heard a lot of stupid stuff but never heard anyone talking about purposefully shooting at a sound. I suppose they are out there though. Lots of idiots, in every state I have hunted, do stupid stuff every year involving fatalities. The story you related about the father shooting his son seems vaguely familiar to me; although, while I believe it is this one, it is somewhat different that the way you told it so am not sure it is the same incident but it is darned similar.\

And let me add - RIP the little girl who was shot by her dad near Longview. A tragedy like that is heartbreaking even for those of us who did not know them and I can not imagine the grief of the girls parents, other relatives and friends.

Sadly, every day during hunting season somewhere, folks bring loaded long arms into their vehicles and all too often have an unintentional discharge with them. Sadder still is when the result was like this one.

I see absolutely no reason to bring a loaded long gun into a vehicle when on a hunting trip and also none to unload inside the vehicle. The father might consider himself lucky not to be charged with some form of criminally negligent homicide, that way he will be free to off himself without guards putting him on a suicide watch.
    In fairness, I heard the same thing ("sound shots") in Pennsylvania back in my pipeline days. When I first heard it (while eating lunch at a restaurant near the compressor station), I thought it was a guy making a joke. The locals eating with me assured me it was not, and they had the same distain for the speaker as I did. What I noticed in NY was that the shotgun only areas tended to get some of the "city" guys who literally bought one box of 5 slugs for the season. Sighting in? Practice? No, they didn't need any of that. I hunted one season in NY, then I switched to hunting blackpowder. There was only a tiny fraction of the hunters and an even smaller fraction of the idiots. I think the reason is that blackpowder requires some real effort to get the gun sighted in and to shoot. You can't blast away as someone scares a deer running past your tree or fencepost, like some of the shotgunners did.

I met some nice folks there and knew decent hunters that didn't do that kind of nonsense, so I don't want people to think that was the standard.

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    Imagine living with that… holidays and everything… your family looking at you.. goodness…

popsgarland

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 24, 2011
    DFW area
    Another...I thought it was unloaded. NEVER just think a gun is unloaded. Always point the gun up to the sky or down to the ground and then check to make sure its doesn't have a round in the chamber.

I would really hate to be in the fathers shoes. This is something he will never forget and it will haunt him for the rest of his life.

May she REST IN PEACE.

Aus_Schwaben

First to know - Last to care!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 31, 2019
    Abilene, TX
    When I worked at Shell, our field crew worked in the lower peninsula of Michigan about an hour north of Gaylord. The first day of the hunting season was shop day - no field work - because you could not pay them enough to work in the field on opening day because it was crazy.

BBL

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 8, 2021
    TX
    Anybody got any more details on the story? I don't mean morbid stuff. We assume the mechanism of injury. But how/why did the injury actually happen?

cycleguy2300

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Austin, Texas
    What a tragic and sad mistake...

I must point out I haven't seen anyone here calling for criminal charges as were called for with Alec Baldwin. They made the same mistakes, the same assumptions and had the same result, but calling for this man's head isn't being done because there are excuses being made for his behavior that were not extended to Baldwin. Fair is fair guys...

Sent from your mom's house using Tapatalk

popsgarland

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 24, 2011
    DFW area
    Baldwin knew there was a round in the chamber..... mistake
    The father thought the rifle was cleared......dumb mistake.

Baldwin pointed the gun at the lady..... mistake.
    The father had the rifle laying on the seat.....not hand held and pointing at his daughter

Baldwin pulled the trigger..... mistake.
    rifle accidentally fired.............still don't know why.

Baldwin did not take responsibility........ass hole
    Father takes all of the responsibility.........fully responsible

Baldwin blames it on the gun and other people.....still an ass hole
    father blames his self......takes responsibility.

Baldwin does not grieve for the woman.......feels no guilt
    Father grieves for his daughter...............and will for the rest of his life.

I can see several differences between the two.

glenbo

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 3, 2014
    San Leon
    From the article: "Officials say the rifle was lying on a seat in the vehicle and when Daisy's father went to clear the hammer thinking the gun was unloaded. The rifle then went off, shooting the child."

Clear the hammer? What on earth does that mean?

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    From the article: "Officials say the rifle was lying on a seat in the vehicle and when Daisy's father went to clear the hammer thinking the gun was unloaded. The rifle then went off, shooting the child."

You are assuming the person that wrote that knows what they are talking about. They probably have no clue.

Sent by an idjit coffeeholic from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

MTA

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Mar 10, 2017
    Fannin

Sounds like he was trying to let the hammer down on a lever gun. Why on earth he would have it loaded at all is beyond me

I couldnt even imagine the horror of something like this

glenbo

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 3, 2014
    San Leon
    I have seen people with both lever actions and bolt actions trying to unload the weapon and very gently moving the bolt or lever in effort to get the live rounds out without making big extractor marks on the rounds. It does not work well and is easy to leave a live round in the chamber. It's pure speculation that he might have done that.

cycleguy2300

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Austin, Texas
    Baldwin knew there was a round in the chamber..... mistake
    The father thought the rifle was cleared......dumb mistake.

Baldwin pointed the gun at the lady..... mistake.
    The father had the rifle laying on the seat.....not hand held and pointing at his daughter

Baldwin pulled the trigger..... mistake.
    rifle accidentally fired.............still don't know why.

Baldwin did not take responsibility........ass hole
    Father takes all of the responsibility.........fully responsible

Baldwin blames it on the gun and other people.....still an ass hole
    father blames his self......takes responsibility.

Baldwin does not grieve for the woman.......feels no guilt
    Father grieves for his daughter...............and will for the rest of his life.

I can see several differences between the two.
    What happened after is of no concern.

They both were screwing around with a loaded gun, pointing it at someone and killed someone due to their mistakes.

I think it is much more plausible that Baldwin DIDNT know his pistol was loaded (even if he should have checked) while this guy was said to be hunting, where you generally use loaded guns (unless you're a stick and string weirdo).

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    What a tragic and sad mistake...

I must point out I haven't seen anyone here calling for criminal charges as were called for with Alec Baldwin. They made the same mistakes, the same assumptions and had the same result, but calling for this man's head isn't being done because there are excuses being made for his behavior that were not extended to Baldwin. Fair is fair guys...

You know what? You’re correct.

Top Bottom