• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mortdooley

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2008
    Texas Gulf Coast
    Have you managed to acquire firearms that you no longer use and just take up space in your safe? I have been blessed to get better, less basic firearms over time and still keep the first ones. Thanks to government record keeping I hate to get rid of anything with my name on it.
    Guns International

navyguy

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller
    I've got a few keepers. But none that I bought. Just a couple that were my Dad's, and although I do blow the dust out of them from time to time, they sleep soundly in the safe and will not leave until I check out.

Pony

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Azle, TX
    I'd never seen a handgun until I left England, so I made plenty of mistakes with my first purchases. They are kinda like children, and I can't bring myself to see any of them go. A few are like my red-headed stepchildren, and I shamefully hide them away . . .

Hondo

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 15, 2009
    The F in DFW
    I got a C&R license a few years ago and went apedooky and purchased a lot of rifles that seemed like a good idea at the time. Took me a while but I whittled my overgrown collection down to the firearms that I actually enjoy shooting.

WhoDat

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2010
    Austin, TX
    After selling off 70% of my guns, a few years back, I told myself that my next go would be quality vs. quantity. I had lots of garbage the 1st time around (half-dozen weird caliber bolt surplus rifles, K-mart special rifles, etc.). I told myself that, this time around, I'd buy just a few quality weapons. I had visions of a smaller best-of-breed collection (ie. A custom Kimber 1911, a really nice Weatherby or two, a nice Italian autoloader, and maybe even a nice Italian double, and some sort of state of the art "evil weapon"). My reasoning would be that these would be good investments, and that I'd be a better shot, by having to familiarize myself with fewer weapons. Then, the whole Ban-expiration hit and I suddenly had another 10 or so evil weapons in various states of build. My main safe is currently inaccessible, but I'm pretty sure I'm now coming close to exceeding its capacity.

Investment Reasoning - I have two young sons, so I am thinking of them. Lately, however, I'm wondering if aiming for quality would be better than quantity. The whole Black Rifle thing, for example, is really uncertain - especially form an investment perspective. While a lot of these "rifles" are extremely well-made, they're really all "franken-weapons", and I wonder how they'll be valued 20 years form now. I also wonder whether we'll even be able to sell them, or if they can really inherit them.

SHTF Reasoning - If the feces really did hit the rotary oscillator (and I don't collect guns for that reason, nor do I think any sort of meltdown is imminent), I doubt I'd want to carry the contents of my gun safe around. I'd probably just grab the MAK-90 I bought for $200 20 or so years ago that has never FTF'd once in 4,000+ rounds, along with my cheap Glock. Though I may be tempted to throw an 870 or Mossberg into the mix.

WTF Reasoning - I like guns that are interesting. I like shooting them, and with the whole modular Black Rifle thing, I like tweaking them. So, I find myself coming to grips with the fact that these things aren't an investment and I'm not buying them to save my family or the American way of life, I'm buying them because they're fun and interesting. From a functional perspective, I am trying to dwindle down my choices and buy a few good guns:

Waterfowl - Beretta Xtrema II (first 2 shots out of that gun downed 2 ducks)
    Upland - Cheapo Stoeger O/U, to be replaced by an Italian gun, when i get the funds
    Deer - Weatherby 30'06 Sub-MOA... or a 6.8 (insanely accurate, when the first shot counts)
    Pig - 6.8 AR (still tweaking and trying to make the perfect rifle)
    Self-Defense - Sig P229 or Glock 30... probably, however, my trusty crowbar. And I still have a lawyer on retainer, from my divorce... she's really mean, so I'd really have to hate someone, to brandish that weapon
    Fun - 4 AK-47 variants, 8 or so AR-15 variants, 3 AR-10 variants, a few shotguns, a few revolvers, fleet of .22s, .17s, Sig, Glock, a few misc bolts, SKS, a couple misc 9mms, and quite a few other I've missed.

I guess there's no point to this ramble, other than the fact that I've come to the realization that I'm buying guns for fun.. and for me. For hunting, 1-2 rifles and 1-2 shottys is all I need. For self-defense, I probably only need to focus on my Glock or Sig, and get really good with them. A pump shotty is always great for the homefront, and I guess I should look into a .380 for carry. So that's 4-7 guns that I really need. Arguably, that could be cut down to 2-3. But I have a lot more, and I'm cool with that. So, safe queens go when I no longer enjoy them. Or, when I don't have funds to buy something I really want. OK, there have been a few that I regret selling, but my safe is a sandbox. And I'm cool with that.

Top Bottom