Join TexasGunTalk

Safe Rooms

Discussion in 'Home Preparedness and Shelters' started by Texasgrillchef, Dec 28, 2019.

1. pronstar

pronstar TGT Addict TGT Supporter

Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    A lot of the homes I’ve been flipping had air handlers moved to the attic, leaving an unused, empty closet that would make a great hidden safe.

My renovation will put that square footage to use, but something to think about if you have one of these empty spaces...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Dad_Roman likes this.
  2. Axxe55

Axxe55 Active Member

Dec 15, 2019
    East Texas
    Why not build the house fortified in such a way as that the house is a "safe house"?

It's not really that hard, or much more expensive during the initial construction of the house. The biggest expense would be the doors and windows. Side benefit of them would be also the energy savings over the long term.

If an intruder really is determined to enter, they will gain access. But the longer that you delay them, is to your advantage.

Lots of YouTube videos on the subject.

3. etmo

etmo Member

Jan 25, 2020
    Cedar Creek, Tx
    Yes! We are on the same page. Nor was my post in any way a repudiation of yours. I feel we're just mentioning both sides of the coin here

4. lightflyer1

lightflyer1 Active Member

May 2, 2015
    In Germany when I was stationed there back in 1979 or so, homes were all masonry and had industrial type metal roll up/down shutters on them that were closed at night or when away. Like this:

https://www.innovativeopenings.com/window-security/exterior-rolling-shutters/

I am approaching retirement and will be selling my home and building something away from here with cheaper property taxes. It will be a single story Quad lock ICF home with really thick masonry walls and these kinds of shutters all around. It will also include an interior safe and safe room as well.

https://www.quadlock.com/

Big Green and TxStetson like this.