• ...and so much more!
  • TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    Several lf the larger safe dealers I've visited in Houston offered them - prefabbed, pretty nice set-ups. I'd call around local dealers and ask, or even try googling 'em.

etmo

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2020
    Cedar Creek, Tx
    Can't speak to DFW specifically, but in any city where there's money, just about every high-end custom home builder has built some or has a sub in their contacts list who handles them.

Mowingmaniac 24/7

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2015
    Is that the same thing as a 'safe space' beloved by snowflakes everywhere or are you speaking of what I've heard referred to as a 'Panic Room'?

While we're on the subject of such things, you realize in Texas you are under no oblicgtion to retreat when in your house?

etmo

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2020
    Cedar Creek, Tx
    While we're on the subject of such things, you realize in Texas you are under no oblicgtion to retreat when in your house?

Sure, but doesn't the subject also include the possibility that you want to retreat / believe retreat to be in your best interest or the best interests of your family / house guests?
    Even if you're a great gunfighter, one lucky shot and you're dead, and even if you're a great gunfighter, what about your spouse and children? Mother-in-law visting? Are they also great gunfighters? Might be nice to have a place for them to be safe until the police arrive, especially if you're not at home.

Mowingmaniac 24/7

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2015
    etmo,

What I posted wasn't/isn't a repudiation of your 'panic room'idea, but information you may not have been aware of......

pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    A lot of the homes I’ve been flipping had air handlers moved to the attic, leaving an unused, empty closet that would make a great hidden safe.

My renovation will put that square footage to use, but something to think about if you have one of these empty spaces...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    Why not build the house fortified in such a way as that the house is a "safe house"?

It's not really that hard, or much more expensive during the initial construction of the house. The biggest expense would be the doors and windows. Side benefit of them would be also the energy savings over the long term.

If an intruder really is determined to enter, they will gain access. But the longer that you delay them, is to your advantage.

Lots of YouTube videos on the subject.

lightflyer1

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 2, 2015
    In Germany when I was stationed there back in 1979 or so, homes were all masonry and had industrial type metal roll up/down shutters on them that were closed at night or when away. Like this:

https://www.innovativeopenings.com/window-security/exterior-rolling-shutters/

I am approaching retirement and will be selling my home and building something away from here with cheaper property taxes. It will be a single story Quad lock ICF home with really thick masonry walls and these kinds of shutters all around. It will also include an interior safe and safe room as well.

https://www.quadlock.com/

thequintessentialman

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2015
    In Germany when I was stationed there back in 1979 or so, homes were all masonry and had industrial type metal roll up/down shutters on them that were closed at night or when away. Like this:

https://www.innovativeopenings.com/window-security/exterior-rolling-shutters/

I am approaching retirement and will be selling my home and building something away from here with cheaper property taxes. It will be a single story Quad lock ICF home with really thick masonry walls and these kinds of shutters all around. It will also include an interior safe and safe room as well.

https://www.quadlock.com/
    That's basically just a standing pour but have additional advantages. Those things have interested me for years. Do some more research into energy efficient houses. I don't remember the type construction but recall one very efficient design where the walls could handle a 400 mph wind and required minimal heating/cooling.

Not very space efficient but the dome homes built by a company in Italy, TX are also interesting. No flat surface for wind to hit.

Those roladen in the German windows were great at blocking light for day sleeping when working nights. Very secure too.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Curt 58

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 26, 2011
    Rhome
    This is a late reply, so if you already have your safe room I appologize. I had a good excuse. Spent the last 14 months reconvering from two shattereed feet and both legs broken.

But, there is a Guy in Weatherford that builds custom safe rooms and serves the DFW area. One of the best built units my 4 years of research has found. HIs walls aree way overbuilt!
    Young Family owned buisness with a remarkable manufacturing plant in Weatherford.

I am only a Customer, so this is purly from a satisfied consumer.

Matt and Twana Wolfe

PFX Storm Shelters

a Division of Precision FabWorX, LLC

682-429-7285

www.pfxstormshelters.com

www.facebook.com/pfxstormshelters

Top Bottom