Safe weight

Discussion in 'Gear & Accessories' started by oldguy, Nov 10, 2009.

1. oldguy

oldguy Well-Known

Mar 6, 2008
    Looking at gun safes can anyone advise as to how can I determine max weight that a slab foundation can withstand,perhaps a stupid question if so just say until she cracks.;)

2. Acetone

Acetone Active Member

Aug 24, 2009
    El Paso
    Where are you located? Is this a single family residence or an apartment complex?

3. Big country

Big country TGT Addict

Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    I wouldn't think that the slab in a house would have any issues with any commercial safe unless it's a second story slab and even then I doubt it would crack it. What kind of weight are we talking 900, 1,000 LBS?

4. oldguy

oldguy Well-Known

Mar 6, 2008
    Single family residence, one story,looking at around 800 lbs, I've had people tell me over years that slabs need reinforcement for fireplace additions (I know that could be much more weight) and or very heavy items placed with in a small area on slab. Truthful 800 lbs in24inchx36inch space seems like a large amount to me perhaps I'm overly concerned.:confused:

5. Acetone

Acetone Active Member

Aug 24, 2009
    El Paso
    I am new to Texas, so I am not completely familiar with residential building practices around here. If you are in/around the Houston area, chances are you house is built on expansive clay (what Houstonians call Gumbo.) This would mean that your house is probably not a slab on grade, but rather a suspended slab on gradebeams. If this is the case, you will probably be fine as long as you aren't putting the safe in the middle of the slab. It should be placed near one of the grade beams. I do know that this expansive clay (gumbo) is very prevalent in east Texas/Gulf Coast. If your house is a true slab on grade, you shouldn't worry about your safe cracking the slab.

:2cents:

6. oldguy

oldguy Well-Known

Mar 6, 2008
    I'm in the Austin area, will check with some local builders to get their take
    also thinking about contacting some safe manufactures.

7. TexasRedneck

TexasRedneck 1911 Nut Lifetime Member

Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    It won't even notice 800 lbs. When you break it out, it's less than one psi. A 200 lb man with a size 10 foot puts more of a load on a floor than that......think about the load of someone sitting on a four-legged chair! My safe is 1800 lbs, and it isn't even a challenge for a normal slab foundation.

8. TXchoctaw

TXchoctaw Member

Mar 14, 2009
    Euless
    I agree completely...Don't even waste your time worrying about it........you'll be SAFE. LOL

9. oldguy

oldguy Well-Known

Mar 6, 2008
    Good info, wow 1800, not a small safe.:happy0001: What size gorilla did it take to set in house.?

10. TexasRedneck

TexasRedneck 1911 Nut Lifetime Member

Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    Two of us an' a lot of golf balls....