• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • thorkyl

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Brazoria County
    All true, I did catch my error.
    I always figure double the weight of the safe then I know I am good.

even at 5 times weight of safe your still less than you rump in a chair

Acetone

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2009
    El Paso
    All true, I did catch my error.
    I always figure double the weight of the safe then I know I am good.

even at 5 times weight of safe your still less than you rump in a chair

While you are correct that your rump in a chair applies a larger pressure to the concrete, I don't want people to be mislead into thinking that they cannot damage a slab with the weight of a safe. This is especially important if we are looking at a suspended slab which would be the case when the in-situ soils are expansive clays.

texasbig.jpg

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    Well I thought I should be good, but you know how the wife worry's. I guess I will just hire someone to move it in for me.

I used the people recomended by the Gander Mountain in Spring (where I purchased the safe), worked great & I had him bolt it down for me as well....

DCortez

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Houston, Cy-Fair
    I used the people recomended by the Gander Mountain in Spring (where I purchased the safe), worked great & I had him bolt it down for me as well....

Who was that? PM me if you don't want to post.

The guy Gander Mountain recommended to us wanted cash, could not tell me how much it would be even though he knew what safe we were looking at and the mileage from GM to me, and could not give out receipts. Their other guy wasn't much better.

I'd love to be a fly on the wall at their IRS audit.

ZX9RCAM

TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    Who was that? PM me if you don't want to post.

The guy Gander Mountain recommended to us wanted cash, could not tell me how much it would be even though he knew what safe we were looking at and the mileage from GM to me, and could not give out receipts. Their other guy wasn't much better.

I'd love to be a fly on the wall at their IRS audit.

I dont remember off the top of my head, you could call the Spring location & ask them. They allow him to advertise in the store & I believe he charges by weight, & if there are stairs involved or not. He also charges extra to bolt it down

SouthTex

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2009
    San Antonio, Texas
    I have never really given it a second thought about placing a safe on my slab. (Upstairs I might consult an engineer.)

Mine is bolted to the concrete and to the wall behind it as well. (Plus it has a closet built around it.)

We have expansive clay soils and all the issues ... and I'd guess well over 95% of all of the homes built in the past 20 years are slab on grade. (My house is 65 years old and is slab on grade.)

DCortez

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Houston, Cy-Fair
    I dont remember off the top of my head, you could call the Spring location & ask them. They allow him to advertise in the store & I believe he charges by weight, & if there are stairs involved or not. He also charges extra to bolt it down

We didn't do business with the guys. I'll be damned if I'll pay full price to guys working "under the table".

ZX9RCAM

TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    He told me over the phone how much it would be, I was never told cash only, & I am pretty sure I got a receipt after all was said & done.

I am curious about the receipt bit, do you always ask people you have not yet done business with if they are going to give you a receipt at the end?

kingofwylietx

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 29, 2008
    DFW area.....Wylie.
    Have you considered using an apartment/home moving company? They will move anything, are fairly professional, and will give you an exact quote. However, you'd have to bolt it down yourself.

DCortez

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Houston, Cy-Fair
    I am curious about the receipt bit, do you always ask people you have not yet done business with if they are going to give you a receipt at the end?

Yes. You need to document the work. Generally, a reputable/legitimate business won't blink an eye. Shysters will. I'm guessing if something goes wrong, the insurance company or police will want to know. If you want any warranty work done, you're up crap creek without a receipt.

What if the guy did a crappy job drilling the concrete or screwed up changing the combination?

EDIT: Wanted to add ... If they are charging sales tax and not paying it, I want to have a little something to apply heat with.

thorkyl

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Brazoria County
    I just got a few friends to help so only people I trust knew where and how it was set

Maybe I should go into the safe moving business...
    Na, getting to old to move those things all day.
    With my luck I would get all third floor apartments

ZX9RCAM

TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    Yes. You need to document the work. Generally, a reputable/legitimate business won't blink an eye. Shysters will. I'm guessing if something goes wrong, the insurance company or police will want to know. If you want any warranty work done, you're up crap creek without a receipt.

What if the guy did a crappy job drilling the concrete or screwed up changing the combination?

EDIT: Wanted to add ... If they are charging sales tax and not paying it, I want to have a little something to apply heat with.

That all makes sense, I just have never asked about a receipt prior to getting the work done......:cool:

DCortez

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Houston, Cy-Fair
    That all makes sense, I just have never asked about a receipt prior to getting the work done......:cool:

LOL, well the conversation didn't start out that way.

Actually, I once had a local telecom vendor tell me they needed me to sign a blank invoice for their records. I said, send the bill and I'll pay. They said, that's cool, but I still need you to sign a blank invoice for our records. Four days later, they called again. I said look, send the bill, I'll send the check. No bill, no check, your choice.

Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    They wanted you to sign an invoice with nothing on it. Hum. Shady mutch. I think so. Good call D. My boss (owner of the company I worked for at the time) Had 3 or four guys try stunts like that. We had one lady when I was running a crew tell us that the surveyors set the property lines marked wrong and she wasn't paying us a dime for the fence we built and if we didn't get off her property immediately she was going to call the police for our trespassing. I called the boss and explained the situation and he said and I quote "If she doesn't give you a check when you ask her again hook the truck (F-350 6 speed) up to that fence and pull that M***** F***er down". She gave my boss the check when he showed up and explained things. She thought that if she said the property lines were off then she could refuse payment and try and get her neighbor to pay for or get it for free. She was wrong.

Top Bottom