• thehemi

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Texas
    I'm reading that the Saiga-12 has less perceived recoil due to
    the gas mechanism absorbing some of the blow. Is this simply
    theory or is it really going to be something I would notice? My
    Mossberg 12g (pump action, 18-1/2" bbl) has a good kick to it.
    Texas SOT

40Arpent

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    All other things equal (load, recoil pad, barrel length, gun weight, etc.), a pump, or a break-open shotgun, will have a "sharper" kick than any semi-auto, as the forces are transmitted directly to your shoulder through the stock with no delay.

donmitt

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2009
    texas
    I have just bought the Saiga 12 22in barrel and love it. You just have to look at it in person to determine if the build quality is good enough for you. I like the looks of it and the fact it uses the ak/sks gas system. I bought mine from Champions Firearms in Collage Station and they have them in stock and you can lay hands on for inspection.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    I was told by a dealer that they're of questionable build quality.

I think they have excellent build quality for an AK based gun, especially when you consider the base parts are original Russian AK manufacture. We've sold about 6 of them this year and none of them have had a problem. The actions on them all feel properly built; no significant hitches, relatively smooth feeling, and the metal components are pretty high quality, again for an AK based firearm.

TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    Saiga recoil...

I have only fired three or four semi-auto shotguns in 12ga.(Berettas, Charles Daly and Saiga). None of them kicked as hard as the Saiga. I could see how the AK style system would absorb some recoil but the main problem is that the Saiga is only reliable with 3 inch shells. My friend who owns it was told that it would feed and fire all shell sizes in 12ga. He found out really quickly that it was only reliable with the pricey stuff. He also found out that people were having similar problems and there was supposedly a recall in which a few guns were assembled with an undersized gas port. When we tore it down, we found nothing unusual and the adjustable gas block seemed to be in perfect working order. Now he is content just to buy the 3 inch shells and let them fly. Also the term "perceived" recoil says it all. It's all in your head !;)

cajunautoxer

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 8, 2008
    Houston
    I've shot 100 rnds of 2.75 00Buck. I've used Remington and Winchester Ranger 8 or 9 shot. With lite loads my S12 doesn't like Winchester but Remington works well

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    I have only fired three or four semi-auto shotguns in 12ga.(Berettas, Charles Daly and Saiga). None of them kicked as hard as the Saiga. I could see how the AK style system would absorb some recoil but the main problem is that the Saiga is only reliable with 3 inch shells. My friend who owns it was told that it would feed and fire all shell sizes in 12ga. He found out really quickly that it was only reliable with the pricey stuff. He also found out that people were having similar problems and there was supposedly a recall in which a few guns were assembled with an undersized gas port. When we tore it down, we found nothing unusual and the adjustable gas block seemed to be in perfect working order. Now he is content just to buy the 3 inch shells and let them fly. Also the term "perceived" recoil says it all. It's all in your head !;)

I guess he must have gotten a dud.
    Everyone I have seen {and I see quite a few of them at the range} has eaten any 2 3/4" shell made. From the really weak bulk birdshot to slugs.

TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    Actually, last weekend he had installed a new aftermarket adjustable gas block valve. It made his gun cycle all loads flawlessly and it was pretty Damn'd Accurate for shootin' clays too(the old block had only 2 settings). Now it fires reliably from all clips, single stack or DRUMS with all shells ! Now I am slightly impressed with the Saiga !

Wryknow

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 6, 2009
    Austin
    I have a saiga 12 and it has the same issue with not always ejecting rounds with the cheap Walmart bird shot. The high brass stuff 2 3/4 or 3 inch runs like a champ though and the recoil is very light for a 12 gauge IMHO. It's not an uncommon problem based on what I've read on the saiga 12 forum, they were designed for military use, not shooting clays. I'm going to have to look into that gas valve though. :)

HawaiiGuy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 7, 2009
    Hawaii
    We specialize in Saigas

Here is it in a nutshell

1) Saiga's are definately the softest shooting 12 GA around and there are lots of accesories for it to make it shoot softer
    2)About build quality, Saigas are made at the original Russian Izsmash Factory and are the best built AK platform period. That being said, it is not so much the quality issue as they are all good quality but the factory tolerances are enormous and there is lots of variation gun to gun. That causes some issues for Custom work but it is so well designed that even when tolerances are off they shoot real well
    3) Saiga's can be tuned to shoot VERY light loads which just a little adjustment. There are a ton of posts on how to do that.

DrChet
    GoGun by E-TAC

Top Bottom