• ...and so much more!
  • MTA

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Mar 10, 2017
    Fannin
    Hey everyone,

Right after I moved back to Texas this past March, I had bought a partially converted Saiga .223 off of Texas gun trader. I don't remember what I paid (rifle + 500 rounds of .223)but it was a very good price. It has sat in the back of my safe until about this December when I started to look at it again.

Figured I would start this thread in case anyone is interested. I meant to start it earlier after I got some parts for it for Christmas but I was just being really lazy. Pictures incoming
    DK Firearms

TruthlessHero81

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 21, 2017
    I researched for hours converting or having one converted but gave up. Seems like the M90np or wasr-3 are the best bets. But I’m curious about your project, hope it turns out well

Reactions: MTA

MTA

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Mar 10, 2017
    Fannin
    The rifle had the trigger guard / fcg moved already. No bullet guide installed or barrel threading. Here is the basic rifle as I got it. These pictures are yuge so brace yourself:
    IMG_2356.JPG

Tapco G2 + Manual Bolt Hold Open Installed:

IMG_2345.JPG

No retaining clips on this gas tube. Great since I was replacing and not planning on using it.

IMG_2350.JPG

Here is bolt hold open tab installed:

IMG_2358.JPG

MTA

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Mar 10, 2017
    Fannin
    I researched for hours converting or having one converted but gave up. Seems like the M90np or wasr-3 are the best bets. But I’m curious about your project, hope it turns out well
    Thanks buddy. It is pretty much done. I am not doing a bullet guide as the magazines are a pain in the ass to find. I tried tapco galil's but the fit was like an 80 year old two buck hooker so I just decided to stick with the SGM mags. I have a source where I can get them pretty cheap. Won't be disclosing that source until I get a few more :usflag:.

Barrel threading is the next step but that will come later on. I have a few more posts to go through of the progress I already made

MTA

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Mar 10, 2017
    Fannin
    So my wife ordered a few parts for Christmas. Among them, I got:

CSS AK47 to M4 STOCK ADAPTER:
    http://www.carolinashooterssupply.c...AK47_AK74_AKM_to_M4_ADAPTER_p/css-ak-tube.htm

and

RIFLE DYNAMICS AK TO M4 STOCK ADAPTER
    http://www.carolinashooterssupply.com/Rifle_Dynamics_AK_47_AK_74_AKM_to_M4_Adapter_p/rdak-m4.htm

Here are some pictures of the CSS adapter. It was nice but it wasn't really what I was looking for:
    IMG_2346.JPG

IMG_2347.JPG

You can see how it sits at the rear of the receiver:

IMG_2348.JPG

Now the Rifle Dynamic Adapter is really, really nice. Beautiful finish and just high quality in it's build

IMG_2362.JPG

IMG_2365.JPG

Wanted to try it out fully, but I didn't have a spare buffer tube, endplate or castle nut.

TruthlessHero81

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 21, 2017
    Thanks buddy. It is pretty much done. I am not doing a bullet guide as the magazines are a pain in the ass to find. I tried tapco galil's but the fit was like an 80 year old two buck hooker so I just decided to stick with the SGM mags. I have a source where I can get them pretty cheap. Won't be disclosing that source until I get a few more :usflag:.

Barrel threading is the next step but that will come later on. I have a few more posts to go through of the progress I already made

Ever thought about getting an adapter for AR mags?

MTA

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Mar 10, 2017
    Fannin
    Next was the bread and butter. I ordered this minus the peep sight from CSS. It is made by Texas Weapons Systems:
    http://www.carolinashooterssupply.c...guard_Gen_3_Rail_33310_p/tws-ak47-railset.htm

The quality is on par with Rifle Dynamics adapter. Outstanding. Forgot to take pictures while I was installing but it was fairly painless. The forearm rail has two wedges that go into the front of the receiver. Two bolts sink into the wedges causing them to anchor into the receiver. Then there is another attachment that attaches over the barrel, right in front of the trunnion. Rock solid mount and hasn't shifted but I havent had a chance to go beat on it yet.

For the top rail replaces the original dust cover, recoil spring button and rear sight assembly. In place of the rear sight, there is a metal bracket of which a hinge pin is installed. This hinge pin attaches to the new rail cover, which is also adjustable to accommodate any strange tolerances in the length of the receiver. It is very sturdy and does not move at all. They boast on how it retains zero even when you lift the cover. Honestly, this cover just snaps right back into place with zero tolerance or wiggling.

IMG_2392.JPG

I placed a Magpul rvg on. The forearm rail is extremely well built. You can see the allen screws that drive in the wedge below the two rivets.

IMG_2417.JPG

Here is the top rail. Note the hinge pin(single allen screw) and the two adjustment screws(length of rail cover for fitting)
    IMG_2414.JPG

IMG_2416.JPG

MTA

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Mar 10, 2017
    Fannin
    Ever thought about getting an adapter for AR mags?
    Last time I looked into them. which was a long time ago, people had problems with most brands. The only place I still see selling them is Canis. I will have to do some research on it. That would be nice to just use AR mags but it has to retain ak reliability or else I would just stick with what I have you know?

MTA

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Mar 10, 2017
    Fannin
    Got my buffer tube in the mail from ebay, picked up a castle nut from Eagle Gun Range in Lewisville and I had a receiver end plate in my garage so I got that installed. Wife got me a Magpul STR for Christmas so I put that on:
    IMG_2406.JPG
    IMG_2407.JPG

TruthlessHero81

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 21, 2017
    Last time I looked into them. which was a long time ago, people had problems with most brands. The only place I still see selling them is Canis. I will have to do some research on it. That would be nice to just use AR mags but it has to retain ak reliability or else I would just stick with what I have you know?

Yeah Canis is the one I’ve been looking at too. I figure if the M90np works then someone would have figured out how to get theirs to work too.

MTA

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Mar 10, 2017
    Fannin
    Yeah Canis is the one I’ve been looking at too. I figure if the M90np works then someone would have figured out how to get theirs to work too.

Yea my thoughts exactly. I would want a very good gunsmith to install it. They dont grow Saigas on trees anymore so I don't want this one getting jacked up.

You have no idea how pissed I am at myself. I had the chance to get a M90np right before they stopped producing them. Price was $500 and now on gunbroker they are up past $1100.

TruthlessHero81

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 21, 2017
    Yea my thoughts exactly. I would want a very good gunsmith to install it. They dont grow Saigas on trees anymore so I don't want this one getting jacked up.

You have no idea how pissed I am at myself. I had the chance to get a M90np right before they stopped producing them. Price was $500 and now on gunbroker they are up past $1100.

Yeah I’d love to get one myself but not for that price. I’m hearing rumors PSA is going to introduce a 556 AK this month so if it’s cheap I might pop for it. It seems they’ve overcome their initial issues with their AK’s.

MTA

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Mar 10, 2017
    Fannin
    Yeah I’d love to get one myself but not for that price. I’m hearing rumors PSA is going to introduce a 556 AK this month so if it’s cheap I might pop for it. It seems they’ve overcome their initial issues with their AK’s.
    Where did you hear that???? That would be awesome if they did

TreyG-20

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Central
    I approve of this thread. I had Saiga 7.62 partially converted with the FCG moved same as yours started out. I always wanted to do the front end conversion on it. I regretfully (now not, but at the time) traded it before the import ban a few years back. Hindsight is 20/20. If I ever find another in my price range I will get it.

I am currently in the process of converting a Hungarian AMD-63 into a SA-85 clone. Well it's kind of on the back burner right now since finding a stock for it has been a PITA. I habe everything else though.

MTA

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Mar 10, 2017
    Fannin
    I approve of this thread. I had Saiga 7.62 partially converted with the FCG moved same as yours started out. I always wanted to do the front end conversion on it. I regretfully (now not, but at the time) traded it before the import ban a few years back. Hindsight is 20/20. If I ever find another in my price range I will get it.

I am currently in the process of converting a Hungarian AMD-63 into a SA-85 clone. Well it's kind of on the back burner right now since finding a stock for it has been a PITA. I habe everything else though.

Yea I hear you on that. I made it a point to hold on to anything Russian but I am sure you will get another one in the future

I have a VEPR in 7.62x39 that is fully converted and it is well worth it once it is done. If you are ever looking for another Saiga and get to the DFW area, the gun show in Mesquite for some reason has a few tables of private sellers selling fresh, partially and converted Saigas. I almost bought a 5.45 at the last one but I was broke from Christmas. Just a heads up

MTA

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Mar 10, 2017
    Fannin
    Hey, haven't forgotten about this thread. I just bought a house so I am going through that whole process. Hoping to have the barrel threaded after the VA appraisal is done and over with

Top Bottom