• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • nalioth

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Houston Metro
    What's to know? They're a Kalashnikov hiding in sheeps clothing.

They're made on the same assembly lines as the military grade AK-101 at Izhmash Arsenal, Russia, and share many of the same parts (alas, none of the fun ones).

They're 'neutered' so that they can be imported as "sporting arms", but that doesn't keep someone with about $150 and a couple hours to put it back to the way it's supposed to be. At that point, you can use military grade magazines with them.

Before:
    p_saiga.jpg

After:
    saiga556_662.jpg

Morgan

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    DFW
    This is my baby.. now this is 7.62x39. I've side mounted a scope and I'm going to replace the fore stock with a rail system so I can put a fore handle on. I love this gun, it shoots terrific. Very reliable.

100_1930s.jpg

Shaolin

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 9, 2008
    Hey guys im in need of info! Im looking into a saiga rifle .223 but im not experienced with the brand. Please any info is great info!

They are great inexpensive semi auto rifles compared to surplus AK's. You can convert them to pistol grip and install a bullet guide to use regular AK mags. Surefire makes very good quality mags if you choose to stay factory. I prefer the 7.62x39 due to the ammo being cheaper than .308 or .223.

nalioth

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Houston Metro
    They are great inexpensive semi auto rifles compared to surplus AK's. You can convert them to pistol grip and install a bullet guide to use regular AK mags. Surefire makes very good quality mags if you choose to stay factory. I prefer the 7.62x39 due to the ammo being cheaper than .308 or .223.
    There is no such thing as a "surplus AK" for sale in the USA. The reason that you see AKs costing so much (compared to completely foreign made AKs [WASRs, Saigas]) is that they are completely rebuilt here in the USA from cut up military rifles parts.

texaspartsman

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2008
    Seguin
    Saiga's are great. I have a .223, .308 and a 12 gauge. They are top of the line as far as AK's go.
    Nice thing about the sporter stocks is they don't attract the wrong type of attention like a full blown AK.

O.S.O.K.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Deep in the Heart of Texas
    If you have a line on one for a reasonable price ($450 or so) then by all means get it. And I'll second the ease of doing the pistol grip conversion. And yes, if you use US furniture, its entirely legal - some would argue regardless of what furniture you use....

Here's mine:

HPIM1772.JPG

and here's a link to an excellent tutorial on doing the pg conversion: Saiga Conversion

nalioth

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Houston Metro
    <snip>
    and here's a link to an excellent tutorial on doing the pg conversion: Saiga Conversion
    .. Keep in mind that this tutorial is over 11 years old and was written back when the laws and the Saigas were different.

It is a very good site to get the gist of what is necessary, but ultimately, it is one man's opinion on how to convert. I personally think it is too destructive. I use nondestructive methods when converting Saigas. This negates the need for immediate rust prevention as you will have after a destructive conversion.

There are some easier alternatives to many of the Cross-Conn steps over at the Saiga forum

Shaolin

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 9, 2008
    There is no such thing as a "surplus AK" for sale in the USA. The reason that you see AKs costing so much (compared to completely foreign made AKs [WASRs, Saigas]) is that they are completely rebuilt here in the USA from cut up military rifles parts.
    ]

Ok... you military historian you... its surplus war rifle to me and it was a figure of speech i chose to use to explain a point. the point is that SAIGA rifles are very good quality rifles for the money.... OK!:sign0101:

accordingtoome

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    ]

Ok... you military historian you... its surplus war rifle to me and it was a figure of speech i chose to use to explain a point. the point is that SAIGA rifles are very good quality rifles for the money.... OK!:sign0101:

Its very dangerious to question Nalioth

O.S.O.K.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Deep in the Heart of Texas
    .. Keep in mind that this tutorial is over 11 years old and was written back when the laws and the Saigas were different.

It is a very good site to get the gist of what is necessary, but ultimately, it is one man's opinion on how to convert. I personally think it is too destructive. I use nondestructive methods when converting Saigas. This negates the need for immediate rust prevention as you will have after a destructive conversion.

There are some easier alternatives to many of the Cross-Conn steps over at the Saiga forum

Too destructive? WTF are you talking about?

Basic method of conversion involves removing the buttstock, drilling the pin heads of the cross-pins that hold the fcg in place - remove the fcg, grind the rivets and spot welds that hold the trigger guard and "sporter plate" in place - and remove the plate. You now have a standard AK without a trigger guard. Cut the tail off of the trigger guard and drill a hole in the back - place it and drill a hole in the receiver and either rivet or bolt this in place - the front can be done the same way or not - it stays in place being shoved into the mag latch "tower". Install the new fcg and pistol grip/buttstock.

I'm a member of the Saiga12 too.

If you are talking about the stocks that have an integral pistol grip - I don't care for those thanks very much.

nalioth

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Houston Metro
    Too destructive? WTF are you talking about?

Basic method of conversion involves removing the buttstock, drilling the pin heads of the cross-pins that hold the fcg in place - remove the fcg, grind the rivets and spot welds that hold the trigger guard and "sporter plate" in place - and remove the plate. You now have a standard AK without a trigger guard. Cut the tail off of the trigger guard and drill a hole in the back - place it and drill a hole in the receiver and either rivet or bolt this in place - the front can be done the same way or not - it stays in place being shoved into the mag latch "tower". Install the new fcg and pistol grip/buttstock.
    The cross pins can be removed without drilling. The shoulders just roll up with a few light taps with a cold chisel. The end of the trigger guard doesn't need a hole drilled, either.

But so be it. You convert your way and I'll convert my way.
    f you are talking about the stocks that have an integral pistol grip - I don't care for those thanks very much.
    I would never wish one of those on anyone. Those do not a "conversion" make.

Shaolin

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 9, 2008
    My Saiga SGL-10

This is my hog killa'

I also have the K-Var conversion w/bullet guide to convert it to an AK-47. Sure beats any "Surplus AK"Romanian out there...

Attachments

• Image0011.jpg
      Image0011.jpg
      41.1 KB · Views: 173
    Top Bottom