• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CharlesThe1337

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2009
    Austin, TX
    Hey guys, I have a Saiga I recently bought without really having much knowledge about how many people end up converting theirs. And I must say, I'm convinced that I want to convert as well! Unfortunately I don't have the tools necessary or the knowledge of firearms to go drilling holes in my rifle. Does anyone know of a good trusty gunsmith in Austin that they have used for this? or is knowledgeable about the type of conversion Saiga owners usually do?

Any tips could help, thanks.

also, been lurking on the site for a long time but this is my first post. Glad to be a member of this forum!
    Guns International

LonghornAR15

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    Austin
    I was considering this for a while, and I don't think I remember anyone doing it in Austin, I may be wrong though. I do remember hearing about a company in Houston call Elk River Tool and Die that was supposed to do good saiga conversions. Or, you could always sell it and just buy a converted K-Var saiga, which are supposed to be good too.

I would think it best to have the conversion done by someone who specializes in doing that, rather than just a competent gunsmith with the instructions.

Good luck, a converted Saiga is nearing the top of my wish list.

CharlesThe1337

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2009
    Austin, TX
    Well, I bought the Saiga originally at a gun show up here not knowing about the "culture" that followed with the saigas. Its a good gun, love it. Got a Tapco T6 stock on there, about to order the quad rail system and some mags. But the thing that made me really start considering converting was the fact that (to preface this, this is my first rifle and second gun to own next to the shotty) I left it cocked on accident and stored it without a bullet in the chamber and now there is some sort of rattling inside of the gun. Of course, took off the dust cover, identified the problem. Its this little silver thing that as the hammer (or whatever is cocked back when the bolt is pulled back) comes down, it hits. This now floats freely, which worried me because it didn't do that out of the box.
    Could someone ease my fears and tell me that this is not bad? I was considering going to red's and showing them as well as putting a few hundred through it to make sure it worked. I am in no way good or knowledgeable about any guns but from what I understood by manually cocking it and watching what parts did what that it doesn't have an effect on the firing mechanism at all.
    This just made me want to convert to get rid of this little problem as well as restore it to how it should be :-) I have no camera now, but I could probably find a picture on the internet and point out what is now free floating in the gun. Any other Saiga owners around here in Austin? There is quite the sub-culture I have found!

on another note- another thing I was worried about when I realized that this now was free to move gravity wanted it to was incase I wore out the spring on the trigger/hammer mechanism. But it dry fires fine and still cocks, stays cocked, and the BHO works as well. So I don't know! I should probably post up in the Saiga forum to see if there is an Austin Saiga meetup or conversion parties. I just don't trust myself with a dremel to go drilling holes in my rifle hoping they match up with a real AK47 setup!

Jason

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Austiin area
    Try Brad at Selph Arms in Buda... he is also on one of the Saiga forums...

Sounds like it needs looked over by a gunsmith from what you described... not sure what could go bad, but it probably isn't worth it...

If you need contact info, let me know...

NewTxn

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    From what you're describing about your problem it sounds like the disconnector spring may be broken or missing. Don't shoot it that way. If you want me to take a look at it PM me your phone# and we'll see if we can work something out.

Conversions are pretty easy if you have some simple tools. A Dremel is a must. Most of my experience is with Saiga 12's. I've converted 2 of those and it definitely goes easier on the 2nd one.

VodkaPics010.jpg

Saiga12004.jpg

CharlesThe1337

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2009
    Austin, TX
    Thank you very much for the reccomendation Jason- I will definitely give the shop a ring when I get a chance tomorrow. Have you gotten your Saiga converted or worked on there? or how do you know they know Saiga's well?

NewTxn- NICE looking saiga 12. Once I discovered the world of Saigas and that they made shotguns on the AK platform, I felt so sad when I looked over to the other side of my room and looked at my Mossberg 500 (still a great gun though!). I was thinking that something came loose for sure, but I was watching it dry fire and the part didn't seem to affect the function of the firing mechanism. Lucky you said that though, its a Friday night I was ready to go shoot but I'll hold off. Are you in Austin? The reasons I wasn't converting was 1) I don't want to turn this thing into a huge paper weight. 2) I would feel sort of blind going into this thing alone, my family and friends aren't too knowledgeable and I am still very new to not only the Saiga culture, but the firearm rights culture as a whole!!!

Thank you both for your input, and NewTxn I may PM you sometime in the coming weeks. If you would be interested in doing a conversion and also teaching someone sort of, I would be more than happy to discuss that over PM's. Also, I don't own a dremel, but I think I may have seen someone doing it with an electric drill but I'm sure its not nearly as clean or precise. I guess thats reason 3 on the list of reasons I haven't converted it yet.

I think I may just take this sucker down to McBrides this weekend and ask if they think anything is super out of place or broken and dangerous. Comments on that idea from anyone else on the forum? any better stores that are reliable in the Austin area?

Thanks again guys I'm loving the feedback, and really digging this forum. Glad to be a member

Jason

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Austiin area
    I do not own a Saiga, but I have been watching Brad work on a few lately... one eight inch barrel and another one for helicopter hunting!

I don't know what the cost would be on what you want done though...

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Buster1979
    Top Bottom