APOD Firearms

Saiga conversion experts. Can get a little help?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • texas_titans

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 20, 2011
    Austin
    What's up, texas gun talk!

I have a saiga 7.62x39. About 90% complete with my conversion. And as many of you guessed, I need some help with the bullet guide.

Any of you guys who have completed your conversion, in the Austin area wanna help out a fellow AK guy out?

Really, what I think is that this really needs a drill press. When I did free hand, I couldn't keep the the bit from walking off of my detent.

I got the Carolina shooters kit. With the b. guide, the tap and drill bit. And an AK that's begging to use real mags. (Owner too!)

Thanks for reading

texas_titans

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 20, 2011
    Austin
    No takers? I got a little money to pay for some help.... And some ammo we can shoot.

Lol. I promise you'll be the first one to shoot the 100% converted saiga.

country_boy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Round Rock
    First, put the bullet guide on and use a punch to get a start, use a high quality drill made for metal. GO SLOW! Use cutting oil.

Then for the tap, use oil, turn it a couple of times dont force it, or it will break! Back it out clean out the chips, turn a few more times, and repeat till done. Ive done about 20 of these like this and it works every single time.

texas_titans

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 20, 2011
    Austin
    So this what happened...

I started with putting the bullet guide in. Then I marked the spot with the punch. Started drilling and when I stopped to look after to sweep away the metal shavings. I noticed that my drill bit drifted. So I got scared and stopped.

I only drilled a little bit. And afterward I took the bullet guide and it will still cover the small amount metal I removed. Needless to say, I thought I ruined the gun.

I was thinking that a drill press would do the trick. Or a really steady hand. As far as tapping it and locktite that will be easy.

RiverCity.45

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2010
    San Antonio
    I put my tap in a drill press to keep it vertical. Turned it by hand as described in an earlier post (quarter turn, back out, clear chips, oil, another quarter turn, etc.)

Top Bottom