Guns International

Saiga conversion experts. Can get a little help?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • texas_titans

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 20, 2011
    Austin
    What's up, texas gun talk!

I have a saiga 7.62x39. About 90% complete with my conversion. And as many of you guessed, I need some help with the bullet guide.

Any of you guys who have completed your conversion, in the Austin area wanna help out a fellow AK guy out?

Really, what I think is that this really needs a drill press. When I did free hand, I couldn't keep the the bit from walking off of my detent.

I got the Carolina shooters kit. With the b. guide, the tap and drill bit. And an AK that's begging to use real mags. (Owner too!)

Thanks for reading
    Capitol Armory ad

texas_titans

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 20, 2011
    Austin
    No takers? I got a little money to pay for some help.... And some ammo we can shoot.

Lol. I promise you'll be the first one to shoot the 100% converted saiga.

country_boy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Round Rock
    First, put the bullet guide on and use a punch to get a start, use a high quality drill made for metal. GO SLOW! Use cutting oil.

Then for the tap, use oil, turn it a couple of times dont force it, or it will break! Back it out clean out the chips, turn a few more times, and repeat till done. Ive done about 20 of these like this and it works every single time.

texas_titans

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 20, 2011
    Austin
    So this what happened...

I started with putting the bullet guide in. Then I marked the spot with the punch. Started drilling and when I stopped to look after to sweep away the metal shavings. I noticed that my drill bit drifted. So I got scared and stopped.

I only drilled a little bit. And afterward I took the bullet guide and it will still cover the small amount metal I removed. Needless to say, I thought I ruined the gun.

I was thinking that a drill press would do the trick. Or a really steady hand. As far as tapping it and locktite that will be easy.

RiverCity.45

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2010
    San Antonio
    I put my tap in a drill press to keep it vertical. Turned it by hand as described in an earlier post (quarter turn, back out, clear chips, oil, another quarter turn, etc.)

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LandenR
    Top Bottom