Sam Houston National Forest target area?

Discussion in 'Houston' started by Nate C, Aug 22, 2015.

1. xdmikey

xdmikey Active Member

Nov 27, 2009
    cypress, tx
    If this is the area I think it is I used to shoot there.
    coming from huntsville you took the first new caney exit and headed west through the woods.
    it was the stupidest thing I've ever seen when I finally found it.
    You were shooting uphill on terraced land. I went there several times. Once with each son(grown ups)and a time or two by myself.
    the last time my younger son and I were there some guy drove up in an old red van, said he was just looking for a place to pee! He was really shocked when my son came around the truck, doubling the odds against him! He looked kind of like Davis Crosby in the old days, had the usual convict ink(love and hate on his knuckles amongst others!).
    needless to say we never went back.

2. Jamesxz12

Jamesxz12 New Member

Dec 16, 2016
    This is all news to me

3. Guns=Freedom

Guns=Freedom New Member

Dec 20, 2016
    Central Texas
    I shot here as student at Sam Houston State. Yes you would shoot up hill and there was always junk there. There were always crazy looking people there as well. I remember the Game Wardens setting up a sting operation on the way to the range from Huntsville. They set up a bunch a crow decoys and hid in the woods waiting for people on their way to the range to shoot at them...and then they would give them a ticket.

On another note:
    Many Many years ago my father took myself and a friend to the Sam Houston National Forest. We must have been around 12 -14 years old. We were walking in the woods exploring and happened upon what looked like an military training fort. There were fox holes dug everywhere with many sandbags lining trenches. It was a young boy's dream come true. We played on it for the whole day. At that age I didn't think too much of it, but years later as I attended Sam Houston State University I tried many times to find that spot with no luck. I did come across a belligerent man who said that it was the ROTC training grounds. When I told him the story about finding it as a young man, I asked him to tell me where it was so I could revisit the location. He told me I was not qualified to know where it was as I was not in the ROTC. I have on numerous occasions look on Google Earth Pro to locate the place with no luck. I think I remember it being south of Huntsville...maybe around New Waverly. I would love to take my 8 year old son to see this place if it is still around. If anyone has an idea of where this might be I would love to know.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2016
  4. ZX9RCAM

ZX9RCAM Over the Rainbow bridge... TGT Supporter

Great first post.
    Head to the into section and tell us about yourself.

Welcome to the Forum!

5. xdmikey

xdmikey Active Member

Nov 27, 2009
    cypress, tx
    South of Huntsville, west of 45 and into the woods. Exactly.