• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Spcwolf

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 16, 2013
    Conroe tx
    Who here hunts the national forest?

A buddy and I want to start hunting hogs and deer there. It ain’t that far from me, and I don’t know where would be the best areas to explore for this.

Any tips would be appreciated, thanks.
    Texas SOT

Wiliamr

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Austin
    I used to hunt there back in the late 70's. Got shot at and only took hole in coat with my canteen getting punched out. Lots of stupids that grab a gun and "hunt".

You need to check with Texas Parks and Wildlife and the US Forest Service about the particulars.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    I hunted type II lands once many years ago. Between the trash, mostly beer cans & booze bottles + the idiots encountered I never went back. Now with ever increasing Free Shit Army wandering around, it has to be worse.
    ^^^ THIS! IT'S WHAT HAPPENS WHEN PEOPLE DON'T HAVE ANYTHING INVESTED IN TAKING CARE OF THINGS THEY ALSO MAKE ALL HUNTERS LOOK BAD AND ARE POOR EXAMPLES OF THE HUNTING COMMUNITY!

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    Recommend wearing this.
    1678475345708.png

Wudidiz

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 8, 2022
    Tomball
    A buddy and I went there once to deer hunt. As dawn began lighting the sky, I started seeing orange dots everywhere around me. As it grew lighter I could see that it was hunters and they were in almost every tree. Then a shot rang out and all hell broke loose. I low crawled out of there and never went back. A bunch of crazy sonsabitches shooting at noises and shadows. Probably came up from Austin. I'll pass.

NikelATX

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 17, 2023
    Round Rock Texas
    Hunting National Forest in Texas is a hard pass for me. Too many people crammed into a relatively small area. Having moved here from a western state, I’ve leaned that public land hunting here is a joke comparatively. Private land access or going out of state are your best options. I’ve yet to go out to any of bigger State Parks to hunt, but feasibly those are better options if you can get a tag in one of them.

Coon

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 18, 2023
    Montgomery
    Who here hunts the national forest?

A buddy and I want to start hunting hogs and deer there. It ain’t that far from me, and I don’t know where would be the best areas to explore for this.

Any tips would be appreciated, thanks.
    I live right next to the national forest, so naturally I hunt there. You have to buy a public hunting permit in addition to your regular hunting license. I think you have to download the map book from the website. It has all the rules and regs. I don't hunt opening weekend due to the crowds, but it really thins out after that. As far as tips, I would say the most important thing would be to scout a place to set up before the season starts, and be prepared to walk. For one, they keep all the gates closed to motorized vehicles and second, the farther you are from the road, the farther you'll be from other hunters. Baiting is not allowed in the national forest, so don't get caught with any corn. You can use scents, but that's it. There are plenty of other rules, but I can't cover them all, but you do have to wear hunter orange, 400 Sq. inches total above the waist plus a hat. Check out TP&W website for complete info.
    Dave

larcat

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2023
    Orange
    Hunting National Forest in Texas is a hard pass for me. Too many people crammed into a relatively small area. Having moved here from a western state, I’ve leaned that public land hunting here is a joke comparatively. Private land access or going out of state are your best options. I’ve yet to go out to any of bigger State Parks to hunt, but feasibly those are better options if you can get a tag in one of them.
    Yeah, having moved from the midwest I'm still trying to figure out where to hunt small game without public land available.

Not a lot of squirrel and rabbit leases available ;)

Top Bottom