• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wickll

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2022
    Victoria, TX
    I am curious as to what most people do when it comes to reloading. My first reloading experience was with the .243. Since this was my main hunting rifle at the time, I wanted to be able to shoot a variety of bullets to shoot hogs, deer, and occasional varmints out of the same gun (possibly the same setting). I probably got kinda lucky, but I was able to come up with some loads that shoot pretty consistent in 90 gr. , 100 gr. and even 105 gr. These include fmj, partitions, and speer soft points.

Maybe I am being more picky and wanting more accuracy from some of my newer calibers, but there seems to be lot of difference when I switch bullet weights/

So with all of that being said, I am curious as to what most of you do. Do you try to focus on one particular bullet/weight for a gun and only use that bullet? Or do you have multiple bullets, adjusting the scope to compensate? Or other?
    ARJ Defense ad

Lonesome Dove

A man of vision but with no mission.
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 25, 2018
    Cut n Shoot, Texas
    I used to try what you're doing it's quite possible with some guns but definitely not all. I gave up the chase and settled on two weights per rifle. Same powder same primer just different charges of powder. It's all in my head and in my short list of notes as well as I label all loads per box. No need to attempt to fix what works best from what you've learned. IMO

TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    In the early years I would run the gambit of weights and designs chasing accuracy. Now I settle on a few that are purpose built. The hunting rounds will always get soft points and target rounds will wear a ballistic tip or open tip. I still have ridiculous amounts of alternates I'll play around with for fun.

My primary hunting rifle, a 280 Remington shoots the 140 gr Hornady btsp into an inch and a half group, which has proven good enough year after year. My primary target rifle gets SMKs and my 9mm's get a steady diet of 135gr rnfps. The AR loads are probably the only ones that are the flavor of the month although the Hornady 62gr btsp has been my go to all purpose bullet lately.

It's taken a full decade of chronograph work and tweaking but I'm happy with the results.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Josephn58333
    Top Bottom