• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • London

The advocate's Devil.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 28, 2010
    Twilight Zone
    I've been entertaining the idea of organizing a gun buy-back program for some time now. I know a lot of other people have thought of this, so here's my question: How many of you really, 100% would like to do this? I'm 100% down for it, but my funds are limited and I can't snatch all the guns up myself. Supposedly some of the people who crashed the Austin buy-back got some nice pieces; this might be your chance to get some nice guns for cheap. All we need is a place, police to run SN#s, and buyers. If there is enough interest I'll do the research about organizing all of this.

Please don't say, "Yes" if you don't know for absolute sure that you want to do this. Serious inquiries only!
    ARJ Defense ad

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Austin
    Problem is you'd be obligated to buy all the guns. Better I think to set up at one of the Police "buy backs" and pick out the choice items.

lalonguecarabine

A legend in my own mind!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 3, 2009
    Houston
    Bad, BAD idea! You're kinda promoting the concept of "Gun Buy Backs", regardless of your beliefs and intent.
    I don't see this serving gun owners in any way, shape, or form.

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    Bad, BAD idea!

I agree. The idea behind a gun buyback is that guns are bad, inherently without value or merit and need to be removed from private ownership. The Libtards could turn your efforts into a political nightmare as you purchase guns just like they do with their program.

To continue, I will never sell one of those Libtards a gun. The idea of taking their funds by selling worthless clunkers to them may help YOU but in the end, it hurts all of us. The Libtards don't care if they are good guns or not. To those anti gun fanatics, all guns count "ONE" and they can brag about getting 100 guns "off the street" even if they just bought garbage firearms. You pocket a few bucks for a clunker gun but they win the publicity war.

Nope, I won't help them in any way, shape or form.

Flash

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    I gotta agree with Flash, invite them to a gun show or form a gun swap meet instead; just call it anything other than a "gun buyback program" as that has way too many negative connotations associated with it!

Cheers! M2

megafatcat

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 22, 2009
    At what # of guns would you be required to get a FFL?

The PD would probably not be happy. When they check and find a stolen firearm it will cost a LOT to get out of jail. If they make a felony stick you lose all gun rights and get to practice survival skills in a real SHTF enviroment.

Count me out, I will stick to gun shows.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!

As far as I know, there is no limit as to the number of private sales an individual can conduct in the state of Texas. As there is no "official" record of the transaction, there is really no way a government agency can monitor it; but if you're conducting a lot of sales in a public location, it could draw some attention from the authorities.

The PD would probably not be happy. When they check and find a stolen firearm it will cost a LOT to get out of jail. If they make a felony stick you lose all gun rights and get to practice survival skills in a real SHTF enviroment.

First, while I have great respect for law enforcement, they really don't have much say in private sales. As for stolen firearms, unless there is proof that the buyer had knowledge that the weapon was stolen, the worse thing that could happen is that it is confiscated and the buyer loses whatever he/she paid for it. There is little to no chance of the buyer being charged with a felony for unknowingly buying a stolen firearm.

Fair enough. Like I said, I don't think it is the greatest idea for several reasons; but the legality of it is not one of them. I think the idea was to give individuals who have firearms and may not want them an opportunity to sell them. That's basically what happens at most gun shows, but the problem is with parking, entry fees, competing with other sellers, etc. I envision this concept to be more of a smaller, "swap meet" type of affair where these people can present what they want to see to a small group of interested buyers. It's not a bad idea but the term "buy back" is too closely tied to programs such as they have in Austin, where the authorities purchase the weapons and usually end up destroying them. The ridiculous intent is to "get guns off the streets" and that makes as much sense as the disarmament programs we have conducted in countries such as Iraq, Afghanistan and Bosnia. It never achieves what those that support it think it will, and in some cases (Afghanistan in particular), it makes matters worse as it removes one of the more common forms of self-defense people have under the auspices that the government will provide the necessary security. That left a huge void that the insurgents took advantage of.

Personally, the day I give up my weapons is the day they close the lid on my coffin; at which point they'll only go to my sons anyway so I'd be pretty happy about "losing" them!

Cheers! M2

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Only reason to do it would be as a counter to a buy-back run by SAPD. I haven't heard that they run them, so save your pennies and go up to Austin next time.

1: There is no limit on the number of guns you can buy without an FFL. You only need an FFL if you're buying and selling and/or trading to make a profit. They say "occasional" sales and trades from your collection are kosher, but that's "to enhance your collection" or something equally vague.

2: The PD can bite my shiny metal ass. They're not my parent, and I'm not a child anyway.

3: You have to knowingly be in possession of a stolen firearm to get convicted. If you have no reason to suspect it was stolen, you'll be fine. With any used firearm, there is no guarantee that it's not stolen. Even brand new, from a dealer it's not 100%. The only way to be absolutely sure you're not buying a stolen gun is to not buy guns...

London

The advocate's Devil.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 28, 2010
    Twilight Zone
    I wouldn't be doing it under the guise of "Let's get these off the streets." I'd simply say that some people choose to no longer own guns and this will be a great place to get rid of them. I'd make it a known that it isn't an anti-gun activity. The SNs would be run because I don't want to buy anything hot (and I think people should get their stolen property returned). I fail to see how I'd be obligated to buy all of them- if the SNs come back stolen I'd tell the seller I can't buy hot merchandise (It will conveniently be in the cop's hands by this time anyway).

You guys really don't think it's a good idea to start using the Anti's tactics against them? With the right media presence this could be a HUGE slap in the face to the Brady Bunch.

Well... at least I tried.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    I would be willing to bet that the ATF or SAPD would step in and declare you are buying the guns with intent to generate profit. A bit too much publicity for my tastes. What I would do is possibly set it up via a church, some kind of a "front" organization where you could get legitimate guns off the streets.

Let's face it ... if someone is willing to sell a gun for next to nothing, how much do you think they will spend to guard that item against theft? By removing guns out of the hands of people that could care less you are actually doing the gun guys a favor. That's less guns that ultimately will end up on the street because they are being secured properly and are guarded by people that care.

Call it the "Gun Adoption Drive" ... "turn in your unwanted guns to collectors and enthusiasts whom will safeguard them from criminals and use them for sport and enjoyment".

London

The advocate's Devil.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 28, 2010
    Twilight Zone
    What I would do is possibly set it up via a church, some kind of a "front" organization where you could get legitimate guns off the streets.

I was thinking a YMCA, but that would work, too.

leonidas

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 8, 2010
    Plano
    I gotta agree with Flash, invite them to a gun show or form a gun swap meet instead; just call it anything other than a "gun buyback program" as that has way too many negative connotations associated with it!

Cheers! M2

That is what we need, a gun swap meet. The pot heads did it in Kalifornia and no one came to arrest them. I'd love a place or gathering for private gun sales. It could be like a gun show without all the bullcrap and markup.

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Austin
    That is what we need, a gun swap meet. The pot heads did it in Kalifornia and no one came to arrest them. I'd love a place or gathering for private gun sales. It could be like a gun show without all the bullcrap and markup.

That would be great. No dealers allowed.

dobarker

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 26, 2010
    Sonora
    Call it the "Gun Adoption Drive" ... "turn in your unwanted guns to collectors and enthusiasts whom will safeguard them from criminals and use them for sport and enjoyment".

Best new sales pitch i've heard. Just make it, "sport, enjoyment and education." And you have something that will hold it's salt.

lalonguecarabine

A legend in my own mind!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 3, 2009
    Houston
    "Gun Adoption Drive"
    Hmmm.
    The sales pitch could be something like: "While we disagree with public gun buybacks done in most communities under the mistaken notion of 'reducing crime', we recognize that some people may be in possession of old firearms that they may have purchased years ago or inherited, that they may simply no longer want."
    Etc. etc.

I like that twist provided by Senor El Guapo. I'm impressed!
    ...and I promise not to roast him in his roast thread... for at least fifteen minutes.

Big J

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2010
    Karnes City Texas
    If someone wanted to sell their junk gun for next to nothing they can always go to a pawn shop on the southside and do it. Most of the guns that are turned in at the buy back program are cruddy .22lr rifles and .25 raven pistols.

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Austin
    I really like the "gun swap meet" idea. Like a gun show but with no entry fee and no dealers allowed. Each person setting up a table could pitch in to cover venue cost, and anyone would be welcome to walk the show to buy or sell.

Top Bottom