• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tlcmqn

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    Just moved into town about 5 months ago, and I've been seeing good prices from Academy, but just wondering if there are other inexpensive gun shops around
    Gun Zone Deals

ST5MF

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    SA Gun Shops

DURY'S is the only decent gun shop in San Antonio. They charge fair market prices. If you want to get your eyes poked out then there is Texas Guns on Bandera or Nagels on San Pedro; both of which charge more than retail on most of their items.

Your best bet if you know what you want is to find an FFL holder who runs a business out of his house (NO OVERHEAD) and just shop online.

STAY AWAY FROM GUNSHOWS. Suprisingly with the freedom to own so many different kinds of guns in Texas all that can be found in the SA area is Garbage. Can't speak for the Houston or Dallas area but SA stinks for any real selection of firearms...

jack7742

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 18, 2008
    Schertz
    Sportsman's Warehouse on North Loop 1604 near US281N generally has competitive prices with Academy, and I think they have a little better selection. They carry numerous brands Academy doesn't.

Austin

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Converse(San Antonio)
    Durys is probably the best, They are a little more expencive however, they offer a lifetime warranty with all of their guns. Sportsmans warehouse is a very close second but ever since the election they have had a practically no simi auto pistols and NO Ammunition. the way Nagles steals from people I don't know how they sleep at night(Mossin Nagants for four and five hundred dollars not the nice ones either). Academy is good I don't even think the customer service is that bad they just have a very limited selection.

tlcmqn

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    Will Austin have better gun shops? is it worth the drive up there?
    I hate to be unsupportive to local shops, but I'm a student with limited budget, so I'm sorry to ask.

Furyataurus

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    Helotes,TX
    I bought my HK USP 9 from an FFL out of his garage, I got my FNP40 from Bass Pro Shops and I got my Remmy 870 and Marlin 336C 30-30 from Sportsman's warehouse. Sportsman's is the better place. I've been thinking about getting an FFL for me but after reading the rules/reg's I got a headache.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    Been to Dury's, was looking to buy a safe. Couldn't even get waited on. Nagles can have deals, you have to know where to look, AND how to counter an offer. Remember that they go by BB. Might also point out that I've never run across one of his gun sales reps that didn't shoot, and know guns pretty well. Only an idiot would mention Texas Guns and ANY other shop in the same breath - Texas Guns stands head and shoulders above ANY other shop for being overpriced and overpushy.

Notice no one mentioning Powderhorn - I've dealt with David Day (and before him, his Dad Bob & Mom Betty) for 30+ years now, and have always felt like I got a fair deal. Not the largest selection - it's a somewhat small shop - but a good one, IMO.

Pachucko

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    I'm not from San Antonio, but do try to hit a shop or two when I'm in town. I have to agree with most of the above posts. I thought Nagels was a little expensive. Durys was a little better on prices, I went on a weekend and the service was good. Powderhorn's prices were the best and the guys were nice.

45tex

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2009
    I live in Houston but have contacted Dury's a few times via email and the phone. Mostly concerning auctionArms.com stuff. They always seem patient and give thoughtful responses every time. I'm planning to stop in next time I go west. Their lifetime warranty on anything bought in their store has me considering a purchase. Its worth a few bucks to me to think they will be there for me. IMHO

BlackRifleTexas

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    Texas---Where else??
    Hey 45TEX. I am pretty sure the unconditional lifetime warranty is actually through Davidson’s Firearms in AZ. Davidson’s is like a master distributor for many manufactures like Colt, S&W, Springfield, etc…. Here is the link: http://www.galleryofguns.com/about/default.aspx

Nearly all of my guns were from Davidson’s… However I have yet to take advantage of the warranty. I think there are about 20 Davidson’s retailers in the San Antonio area. There are probably several in the Houston area as well.

Skip

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    NW San Antonio
    I have been going to the Powderhorn for years. They are small, and sometimes it get's crowded, but the attention they give to everyone is great.

sigxo45

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 6, 2009
    +1 for the powderhorn, good bunch of guys.. i have bought many weapons there at good prices..

Gibenstein

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2009
    San Antonio, TX
    I would have to agree about Nagels being a eye poker. Plus my car got keyed there! Never again! I go to Academy, Sportsmans Warehouse (but they are definitely cleaned out), and Bass Pro. I just bought a gun from Dicks though and got it priced matched to Academy but Dicks is very limited.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    I would have to agree about Nagels being a eye poker. Plus my car got keyed there! Never again! I go to Academy, Sportsmans Warehouse (but they are definitely cleaned out), and Bass Pro. I just bought a gun from Dicks though and got it priced matched to Academy but Dicks is very limited.

Dude - why blame Nagels for something some punk did? Nagel sells to Blue Book value, and I can't blame 'em. I find some very hard-to-find guns in there from time to time. Personally, I prefer to deal with locally-owned gun shops - at least they KNOW the difference between 45, 45LC, an' 45ACP.

sigxo45

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 6, 2009
    most of the weapons nagels have ant hard to find, they have been sitting there for years due to poor pricing, i have seen stuff in there since 2000. whats that tell ya? and as far as blue book, i dont know on that one, the must have one just for ffl's or somthing.lol . not to mention the CS sucks in there, 10 people working in there, and you stand in front of a glass case for 30 min's , just to have some ass ask if you wanted to buy or just look at somthing.. yea i think ill just look at another shop.. thanks

Bexar county TX

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2008
    San Antonio
    My wife and I have dealt with Durys for 4+ years and always had good results with the staff there my wife wanted her own handgun and they explained everything to her about different models cal field strip an hour later we walked out with a Sig P229 .40 690.00.

Not going to knock Nagels but we went there too looking for at handguns also and guy told my wife she has no business owning a semi-auto she needs a revolver

Top Bottom