Join TexasGunTalk

San Antonio shooting range/place where you can bring your own junk to shoot?

Discussion in 'San Antonio' started by Slamjam, Dec 15, 2015.

1. Slamjam

Slamjam New Member

Jun 5, 2013
    San Antonio
    Does anyone know of a shooting range/place where you can bring your own junk to shoot up in the San Antonio area? I remember a place in California where you could bring plastic bottles, junk stuff, whatever, to shoot up but all of the places here in SA that I've contacted so far are just for targets.

2. Ranger60

Ranger60 Active Member

Mar 28, 2008
    Taylor
    There was one many many years ago, long closed. Never heard of another. You will probably have to find a friend that has land. The most obvious reason for not allowing it is that people won't clean up after themselves. Another reason is potential ricochets onto adjacent property.

3. mak91

mak91 Member

Feb 1, 2013
    You may be thinking of Lytle Creek near LA. I know someone who had a lot of fun shooting pumpkins and other stuff there years back...

Don't know of anything like that out here, though. Lone Star allow steel targets and that is as wild as it gets unless you are on private property.

4. mak91

mak91 Member

Feb 1, 2013
    Might have been Burro Canyon, come to think of it. Was a damn good time tho-blowing shit up is a great time. Hope you find a place to do it here.

5. Slamjam

Slamjam New Member

Jun 5, 2013
    San Antonio
    Thanks guys. Yeah that makes sense about having to clean up and stuff. @mak91, yeah I cant remember the name or even nearest city in Cali, might be gone now, who knows.

6. Ranger60

Ranger60 Active Member

Mar 28, 2008
    Taylor
    When I said many years, it was in the 80s, guy had an ice house and an informal shooting range. You shot down into a small valley. Paid a few dollars for the day. What was really "different" was that you could buy a six pack in the ice house and as you drank your beer you could use the cans as targets. Not that I ever did, nor did anyone I was with. It was on Bandera Road just north of Helotes.

7. shortround

shortround TGT Addict

Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    Texas is far more refined than California.

We don't shoot "junk."

Be well.

8. txinvestigator

txinvestigator TGT Addict

May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    I certainly try to refrain from shooting my junk.

9. Slamjam

Slamjam New Member

Jun 5, 2013
    San Antonio
    I have to see somebody's junk first before I decide whether or not I want to shoot it.

10. majormadmax

majormadmax TGT Addict

Aug 27, 2009
    San Antonio!
    Gazer.