Lynx Defense

San Fran stores closing due to blatant shoplifting.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • angel71rs

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2009
    El Paso

kbaxter60

"Gig 'Em!"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2019
    Pipe Creek
    Looked at the story. Those are not "shoplifters", they are "looters". If they want to use their LEOs (if not already defunded, hah) to take a bunch of them down, they could probably fix that issue before losing more stores, jobs, and neighborhoods.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    That crap happens closer to home then y'all have a clue! I worked in grocery stores for a very long time & rodeoing a basket of steaks, beers & the fixings has always gone on.

Some years back it was nightly cigarette thieves. The would hit stores with stock crews working, because they knew policy is. Auto opening doors are easy to get thru when locked. 3-4 youtes would simply force the door & hit the service center for cigarettes. Filling trash bag with carton. Hell I seen them walking out as I was going in.

Aus_Schwaben

First to know - Last to care!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 31, 2019
    Abilene, TX
    California passed a law that raised the amount of "felony" to $950. Anything less than that amount is just a ticket. Now, there are many videos of people going into a store as a group, sweeping dozens of products at a time into backs, baskets, or backpacks, and walking out. The clerks may say something but they really can not say or do much for risk of being attacked.

Crews have been stopped with vehicles full of stolen goods but the only response of the criminals? "Give me my ticket so I can get back to work!"

I do not think we have seen the worst of the riots yet because when that behaviour hits less "enlightened climes" (like Texas) clerks and shop owners will stop them. And when the thieves fight back, they will regret it - briefly.

gdr_11

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2014
    My son's girlfriend works with three police departments in Los Angeles. I was floored when she told me that first time car theft offenders are just given a written misdemeanor citation regardless of the car value. Since the District Attorney seldom prosecutes misdemeanor offenses from black community members, there is really no such thing as a repeat offender who qualifies for the felony charges that could, but are seldom ever applied.

After 7 decades on this earth I find it hard to understand what logic, or lunacy leads to elected representatives deciding that allowing rampant illegal behavior benefits anyone. Are they freakin' crazy or what? It would be one thing if it was limited to one city or one state, but how in the hell did it come to be common practice in most of the large population centers in our country, including places like Austin, Dallas and Houston?

I remember by grandson reluctantly leaving the San Antonio PD several years ago when he said that he could not do his job because the DA would not prosecute his arrests and the perps would most often be out of custody before he could finish his paperwork. He took a big but in pay to go to a small town in Arizona where the wealthy residents demand and receive top notch police services.

pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    Know a lot of CA cops. They’ve been frustrated for a long time.

Most thefts don’t even result in arrests...just tickets. And even then, if the perp is a familiar, they often just let them walk, because the DA won’t press charges anyway so they’re wasting their time.

One of the many reasons why we fled. Laws there only protect the lawless. While taxpayers “with an ability to pay fines’ are viewed as ATMs by Dem lawmakers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    With such blatant shoplifting, and LE being pretty much hog-tied, and prosecutors not doing their jobs, I'm sure it's driving up prices on many products as well.

I have to wonder what these companies corporate loss prevention departments have to say about this? Most companies generally accept a small percentage of loss due to theft and it's just an expense that they factor in as a normal part of everyday operations. But I would think this would go beyond those normally accepted loss percentages.

bbbass

Looking Up!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 2, 2020
    NE Orygun
    With such blatant shoplifting, and LE being pretty much hog-tied, and prosecutors not doing their jobs, I'm sure it's driving up prices on many products as well.

I have to wonder what these companies corporate loss prevention departments have to say about this? Most companies generally accept a small percentage of loss due to theft and it's just an expense that they factor in as a normal part of everyday operations. But I would think this would go beyond those normally accepted loss percentages.

I don't know what our local Walmart considers acceptable loss %, but one of my granddaughters worked there as a night stocker (which they apparently no longer do) said that the employees are FORBIDDEN from confronting theft, including obvious theft of someone walking out the door with a 50" TV in hand. I see they have LE reserved parking spaces, but I never see any patrol cars there...

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    I don't know what our local Walmart considers acceptable loss %, but one of my granddaughters worked there as a night stocker (which they apparently no longer do) said that the employees are FORBIDDEN from confronting theft, including obvious theft of someone walking out the door with a 50" TV in hand. I see they have LE reserved parking spaces, but I never see any patrol cars there...

Many companies like Walmart, Target ect. do have policies that forbid an employee from confronting a shoplifter or thief. Many times this is more about limiting the companies liability if that shoplifter is injured or hurt. Many times, shoplifters, and thieves, (proven for a fact.) have sued companies even they stole their products, were injured when being stopped, and have sued the stores and won damages.

Sad to say, the company assumes less loss for a few hundred dollars of a big screen TV than paying a lawsuit. And I think the shoplifters and thieves are finding this out, and making use of it.

We do live in some really screwed up times.

G O B

School of Hard Knocks and Sharp blows
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Hays Co.
    My Grandson works in a 7/11 in Baltimore (waiting to go to Navy boot in Jan.)
    homes walked in the other day,grabbed a quart of oil "I'm taking this.."

pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas

Yeah 1.5% of sales is about what what most stores calculate as an average shrinkage based on my recollection of working retail.

2.0% or higher would be a high rate of shrinkage.

All of these costs are, of course, paid for by paying customers.

My buddy used to be a Home Depot big wig in Atlanta. He said there was a store in Inglewood, CA that had 5% shrinkage, but the store sold so much volume that corporate didn’t care.

Corporations only care about the bottom line, and they can anticipate losses and plan for them. They don’t want some local yahoos trying to stop shoplifting...which sucks for the local yahoo who likes his job but has morals and a sense of right and wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Bisdak

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 31, 2020
    8.5011135, 124.6643295

This is true. While visiting her brother in Tracy, CA wifey had first hand experience.

A couple rolled out with a 55 inch TV. Parked illegally in front of Walmart. Unboxed the TV. Put it in the rear seat. Store Manager came out to take a video of the incident. Didn’t said anything. Couple told the manager if he can take care of the box trash then left with the TV like nothing happened.

Told my wife we need a bigger TV :laughing:

dsgrey

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2015
    Denton County
    Many companies like Walmart, Target ect. do have policies that forbid an employee from confronting a shoplifter or thief. Many times this is more about limiting the companies liability if that shoplifter is injured or hurt. Many times, shoplifters, and thieves, (proven for a fact.) have sued companies even they stole their products, were injured when being stopped, and have sued the stores and won damages.

My employer has the same policy. Give them what they want! Excluding the liability issue, why would any store employee making $10-$15 an hour be subject to preventing a shoplifter who may beat, stab or shoot them?

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    My employer has the same policy. Give them what they want! Excluding the liability issue, why would any store employee making $10-$15 an hour be subject to preventing a shoplifter who may beat, stab or shoot them?
    I had store management question why I did not follow company policy in seeing if a shoplifter needed help. (they thought asking them would scare them off) I simply pointed to my name badge & said it does not say Risk Management. If you want me to play security I have a gun I'll need to carry!

gambler

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 31, 2020
    Texas
    I remember when I was a kid and robberies and shoplifting at convenience stores was a big problem. I remember that many of them installed 2 way mirrors and stationed an armed security officer behind them. Didn't take too many encounters with the armed security to slow this crime down a lot.

I'm sure that could not be done now that shoplifting and robbery under $750 is no longer a crime. And we just keep electing these clowns that make and support these laws.

etmo

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2020
    Cedar Creek, Tx
    It really sucks for the good people stuck behind the lines out there. Not everyone there is a Liberal.

Hopefully the conservative ones will move to Texas, and the liberal ones will not.

And what you won't hear is that higher prices disproportionately affect the poor.

As mentioned above, for now it's mostly within margins. But as more people begin to steal (because it makes economic sense to do so), prices will continue to rise, forcing more of the honest poor to steal. Eventually rising prices break past allowable shrinkage margins for even the most efficient, profitable companies, and companies re-structure by hardening their business at vulnerable points. Armed guards in warehouses, during loading / unloading / stocking, tight restrictions on shopping, high theft items sold online only, etc, etc.

Those hardening measures will work, but they will cause a permanent price spike which will hit the poor hardest of all.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LandenR
    Top Bottom