7   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    Texas
    I think the threshold for felony theft in Texas is $2500.01

Class C misdemeanor <$100.00
    Class B >$100.00 but <$750.00
    Class A >$750 but < $2500.00
    Felonies >$2500.00

Can be upgraded to felony if <2500.00 if third or subsequent theft offense......

Not any where near as liberal as CA.......and our DA does file charges.......at least for now...lol...

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    Or at least cut a hand off depending on what was stolen.

I'm cool with that too. In some Middle East countries, that use to be a common sentence for thieves, cutting off a hand. I don't know if it's still a common practice anymore though.

In those countries, they knew a person with their hand cut off was a thief. Guess what they called a person missing two hands? Dumb-Ass!

pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    There are various qualifiers to boost to felony like repeat, as mentioned, working in an organized crew...conspiracy, using a booster or tool, depending on jurisdiction.

In their infinite wisdom, CA lawmakers have proposed, and may have passed, removing escalation clauses for crimes committed with a firearm.

You know, because racism.
    I guess because most firearms are black?

I’d imagine the ones you listed aren’t far behind, if they still exist, in that godforsaken state.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Sasquatch

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    In their infinite wisdom, CA lawmakers have proposed, and may have passed, removing escalation clauses for crimes committed with a firearm.

I’d imagine the ones you listed aren’t far behind, if they still exist, in that godforsaken state.

Guess that means all the folks running around with evil off-roster, unregistered "Assault Weapons" just get a slap on the wrist, right? IF the cops show up to raid - they should all stand there and scream "HATE CRIME" and "I'm non-binary trans-racial and I Identify as an illegal immigrant cartel member gang banger" - the cops will apologize and leave, right?

TX oddball

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2021
    DFW
    Proposition 47 was passed in 2014. It didn't "legalize shoplifitng." One of the provisions raised the threshold for felony theft from $450 to $950. Any theft under $950 is still a misdemeanor and subject to arrest and up to 6 months in jail if convicted.

Yes, the article misstates the origin of Prop 47- it is not a SF law, but state law. It basically decriminalizes many felonies, including shoplifting, car break-ins, commercial burglaries, etc. But the OP's thread title is also true- "shoplifting" in SF is basically legal and almost encouraged. I remember reading a stat that there were so far over 50,000 unsolved car break-ins just for one year alone in SF. What a 3rd world shithole.

Sasquatch

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    Yes, the article misstates the origin of Prop 47- it is not a SF law, but state law. It basically decriminalizes many felonies, including shoplifting, car break-ins, commercial burglaries, etc. But the OP's thread title is also true- "shoplifting" in SF is basically legal and almost encouraged. I remember reading a stat that there were so far over 50,000 unsolved car break-ins just for one year alone in SF. What a 3rd world shithole.

And yet the property/land prices, and rent in that area is retardedly high. Pre-COVID IIRC the average rent in SF was $4500 / month. If you made 100k / year, you were pretty much broke between rent, insurance, food and utilities given the confiscatory tax levels in Cali, between federal, state, and sales taxes

pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    Guess that means all the folks running around with evil off-roster, unregistered "Assault Weapons" just get a slap on the wrist, right? IF the cops show up to raid - they should all stand there and scream "HATE CRIME" and "I'm non-binary trans-racial and I Identify as an illegal immigrant cartel member gang banger" - the cops will apologize and leave, right?

I dunno about that.

They’re still criminal acts, they just don’t get escalated due to using a firearm.

But if DA’s don’t prosecute, then cops stop arresting, so I guess decriminalization is the ultimate eventuality regardless…

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Walgreens stores are leaving
    My local (Spring) CVS store has stopped providing those carry-able baskets for shopping. I asked them why. They told me that people were just filling them with stuff and walking out the door so - no more baskets.

Apparently even in my relatively safe and quiet suburb of Houston, calling the police generally results in no arrests and no recoveries. So it's up to the store to look out for themselves however they deem effective.

As much as we like to dismiss California, we'd do well to remember that a disease in one part of the body sickens the entire being.

cycleguy2300

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Austin, Texas
    The last statement I saw on this from SFPD was a year ago and they said they were making arrests and presenting cases to the DA.If the DA is now declining to prosecute, (which is apparently now the case) I think I'd blame that on the DA rather than the law or the cops.
    Same thing for Travis County. Our DA will not take to court, even blocking police from presenting a affidavit of PC for the arrest to a judge for the following:
    -trespass
    -misdemeanor drug charges
    -State Jail Felony drug possession charges
    -Assault on PO
    -misdemeanor shoplifting/theft

The DA, Garza, ran on this platform and got elected with broad citizen support. If the citizens of Travis County don't want these crimes prosecuted, why would the police risk their career and life to arrest violators?

Sent from your mom's house using Tapatalk

wiredgeorge

Older than I was yesterday!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2010
    Mico TX
    Within a couple months given inflation $950 will be like $4.13 when Trump was president. Go JOE... question... who is or was more harmful to the country Joe or Jimmie?

Top Bottom