Sand as a Bullet trap/barricade

Discussion in 'Video How-To's and Tutorials' started by thorkyl, Sep 23, 2009.

1. thorkyl

thorkyl Active Member

Oct 13, 2008
    Brazoria County
    This is an interesting web site that was sent to me.
    It is not my own creation.

It discusses the use of sand filled walls to stop bullets.

http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot7.htm

Basically a 2x6 wall filled with sand and drywall on both sides of the sand stopped 5.56, 9mm, 45 acp, 7.62x51, 12ga slug, and 45/70

an interesting read

2. Acetone

Acetone Active Member

Aug 24, 2009
    El Paso
    That was an interesting read. I found conclusion 1 to be the most interesting...

"1. It's still fun to shoot stuff."

3. Big country

Big country TGT Addict

Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    Yeah at the end of almost all his reviews it says something like shooting stuff is fun. Check out the rest of www.theboxotruth.com and you'll find a lot of good info.

4. Libertarian_Longhorn

Libertarian_Longhorn Active Member

Apr 28, 2009
    Now that's a sophisticated sandbag.

5. DCortez

DCortez TGT Addict

Jan 28, 2009
    Houston, Cy-Fair
    Interesting...

6. 30+GSXR

30+GSXR Active Member

Dec 2, 2008
    fun read thx for posting

7. Greg_TX

Greg_TX Well-Known

Aug 2, 2009
    Klein, TX
    Interesting, but is there a practical way to apply this? Studs are 2x4 (well, 1.75 x 3.5), not 6". I don't see how you could fill a wall with sand without the weight of the sand pushing the drywall off the studs. You could maybe fill the wall up part way and have a low barrier for protection. Maybe use it for a specially designed safe room where you use 2x6 studs, plywood backer board with drywall over that.

8. thorkyl

thorkyl Active Member

Oct 13, 2008
    Brazoria County
    I would not try to apply this to real life protective barrier, however if your looking at a cheap "bullet trap" this would be the way to go.

9. adding sand into a wall cavity may slow a handgun bullet but a 223 will zip right on through,

you dont want to do this in your HOME ! I do know a little bit about drywall, I do own a drywall company . If you fill a wall cavity with sand you invite ROT any moisture will collect in the sand and invite bugs mold and Wood rot. it will vitually eat through the drywall over a short operiod of time. glasser saftey slugs are the answer ! or a 12 gauge with buck shot or some "T" shot in it .

10. Big country

Big country TGT Addict

Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    I USED to hang shit rock and I'll second that. it wouldn't take long for the sand to take its toll on the shit rock.