Military Camp

Sapience. Any animals you think could be evolving to basic human like sapience?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    How about twice?

giphy.gif

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Dumpnpump

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 6, 2020
    I don't know about the ability to reason, but I believe my GSD has enough awareness to understand simple verbal as well as non verbal clues. For example, when she gets too far ahead of me off leash, I will say " thats far enough" and she will turn around and return towards me. I may tell her to find a neutral corner and lay down and she does so. Or if she is begging food, I might say your being rude at which time she backs up and lays down. I don't remember any previous dogs having this ability, but I may not have been as observant or dedicated to training that I have become in my advanced years.

candcallen

Crotchety, Snarky, Truthful. You'll get over it.
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    I Worked Malinois, and a couple dutch shepherd drug dogs who I got very close to who learned many non verbal cues and gestures. Still they are driven to the point it's easy for them to train the handler as it were, even challenge dominance at times by doing their own thing.

The dog I'm with now, family pet malinois mix probably one of the smartest dogs I've worked with, I spend several hours a day with. She will look where I point. Know several hand signals and facial tics or Expressions and even grunts or can interpret a bad mood and go lay in her crate till you change your mood.

She knows several different commands that sound alike depending on voice inflection or even body language. Thus is impressive in it's own cause I have been a bit lazy in commands and not stuck to a rigid list. Things like hip here hold, come or let's go. All can mean the same thing or slightly different depending on what she is doing at the time and she responded correctly probably 98% of the time. She will stop and sit when we go to cross a street unless I tell her to go and knows the difference between a street and trail. Still is just a dog and can take off if I'm not watching her and stop her. I can call her and when she looks I can wave come here or point in a direction and she will do as told, mostly. Shes a malinois so shes too smart for her own good.

Many hunting dogs do the same thing. People confuse the mixture of say 4 year old intelligence and ability to learn, desire to please, social bonding with a human or pack members and some self control with human like sapience.

Top Bottom