• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    What brands of canned fish do you prefer? I started eating these on my Desert and back country hunting trips but now they are a staple.
    <>

‘’King Oscar’’ brand has consistently been best, especially their ‘’kippered’’ herring filets. If you can find the ones ‘’in oil’’; o/w in water.

Brunswick & Polar brands are OK.

Dried shrimp keep well, don’t need refrigeration, and are high protein, low fat, & light weight. Avoid those tiny bags in the ’’spice section’’ and order bulk from a packer like ‘’Pop’s Golden Gems’’

see:

or

Ayer des bonnes mangers !

leVieux

pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    We buy these in bulk at Costco.

17B33A69-89EB-4D0E-99B2-B775F304B23F.jpeg

I eat them once in a while, and keep a ton on-hand in our prepper supplies.

Mrs Pronstar eats a can daily, drizzled with olive oil, avocado slices and Everything Bagel seasoning.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    I keep some anchovies around for using in sauces and the like, but as a general rule I don't eat canned meat unless it's something I've "canned" myself.

Starkist has several variety of tuna packets that make a decent meal on the go. Think MRE. The wife will often take these for lunch, but I have to be in a real hurry or feeling exceptionally lazy to grab one of those instead of making something fresh.

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    Starkist has several variety of tuna packets that make a decent meal on the go. Think MRE. The wife will often take these for lunch, but I have to be in a real hurry or feeling exceptionally lazy to grab one of those instead of making something fresh.

I can't stand any of those except the plain tuna. It does make for a good emergency tuna salad sandwich.

bbbass

Looking Up!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 2, 2020
    NE Orygun
    Brunswick & Polar brands are OK.

Yep.

Mostly Brunswick. Polar not so much. Their smoked oyster packs are annoying cuz they insist on putting carrots in with them. Shorts me on the oysters.

A former bozz got me eating Kipper Snacks during hunting forays. Kept them in my pack for lunch/emerg rations. Now my opthamologist tells me that fish oil is good for my DME.

Sardines w mustard... I can eat em but not my fav.

Anchovies I will only eat on a combo pizza with hot cheese, jalapenos, and lots of beer.

TreyG-20

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Central
    I've always considered myself an adventurous eater. Canned escargot? I don't know about all that.

As for Vaq's question. I don't know what the edible snails eat, but I know what the snails in fish tanks eat and I'd imagine it's probably the same

Top Bottom