• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bikerbill

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 1, 2008
    Lago Vista
    Let me start by saying I know NOTHING about rifles ... always been a handgun guy ... but the wife!!! has been saying we should get a rifle, just in case everything falls apart and we have to start shooting the neighborhood deer to survive ... lo and behold, I get a flyer today from Cabela's offering a Savage 110 bolt action, with a Pine Ridge scope, in "various calibers," for $500 ... is this a decent deal? what caliber should I be looking for? 30-06? something else?
    Military Camp

Reverendbiker

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 14, 2008
    Central Texas
    I bought a Savage 110 (in 30-06) with an inexpensive scope and planned to use it to drag around my ranch as a varmint/utility gun. I didn't expect much from it, but have been amazed at its accuracy. These rifles have a well-deserved reputation (they've been around over 50 years)as being tack-drivers right out of the box. The Accutrigger system is just about the best trigger available on a stock rifle. Mine has been rugged and 100% reliable.

Bullseye Shooter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    Texas Panhandle
    Savage makes an excellent rifle for an inexpensive price. I have a left hand 110 in .243 Winchester that I bought used in 1968. It will still keep groups under an inch at 100 yards and has killed a lot of deer and one Texas hog. The American Rifleman had an article on the Model 110 50 year anniversary a few months ago. One of the interesting things, was that the model number was dictated by the price at that time, $109.98 or thereabouts, which was a departure since most manufacturers used the year of first release to number their models, e.g. 1899 for their lever action, which was shortened to Model 99 some time after.

Posit

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Should be an accurate rifle... can't express any appreciation for the scope, but the combo is not a bad price... although I would price the rifle and a better scope separately, see if I could get better glass.

Charley

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    San Antonio
    The 110s are excellent rifles. One plus for the SHTF scenarios is the 110 series can esily be rebarrled to differnt calibers with minimum equipment. One reciever and a maybe three barrels would handle anything you might want to shoot.

Old Man of the Mountain

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2009
    I would say that is a decent price.

Around here .308 is easier to find and costs less than .30-06.

As far as performance, the .30-06 is only just slightly more powerful, but the .308 has a reputation for being more accurate. I am not convinced that it really is more accurate, but lots of folks say that it is.

Any way, my .308 semi auto AR-10 will shoot half inch groups for me at a hundred yards, and that Savage might do a little better.

P.S. On Shooting USA they announced that a new improved Savage rifle should be on the market this year.

Stick

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 7, 2009
    Let me start by saying I know NOTHING about rifles ... always been a handgun guy ... but the wife!!! has been saying we should get a rifle, just in case everything falls apart and we have to start shooting the neighborhood deer to survive ... lo and behold, I get a flyer today from Cabela's offering a Savage 110 bolt action, with a Pine Ridge scope, in "various calibers," for $500 ... is this a decent deal? what caliber should I be looking for? 30-06? something else?

I just shot my son's new 110 in 7mm Remmag today for the first time. After a few choices of ammo, I found the one his 110 was craving. Some Win BST's in 140 grain gave me 4 shots inside a quarter at 100 yards. That accutrigger is nothing to sneeze at!! I love it.

dee

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Red River Way
    I just shot my son's new 110 in 7mm Remmag today for the first time. After a few choices of ammo, I found the one his 110 was craving. Some Win BST's in 140 grain gave me 4 shots inside a quarter at 100 yards. That accutrigger is nothing to sneeze at!! I love it.

I've heard of alot of custom rifles being built around a savage action with the accutrigger system.

Flight954

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Cypress, TX
    Around here .308 is easier to find and costs less than .30-06.
    +1 I have a Savage 10FP Law Enforcement 24" heavy barrel in .308.
    You won't be disappointed w/ the .308, it's an accurate tack driving round. That's a good priced combo for a great rifle, that is if it has the accu-trigger.

Top Bottom