• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mpolk

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Waco, Texas
    I just picked up a Savage 111 30/06 and was wondering what factory loads perform best in this gun? Also looking for a padded recoil pad. Will the 110 pad fit the 111?
    Capitol Armory ad

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    Most of your .30-06 caliber rifles are going to like anything in the 150 - 180 grain range. The most common is 150 - 165 grain since people don't want alot of recoil. The 180 grain bullets have a fair amount more kick than the 150s.

Look into a Hornady 150 - 165 grain BTSP, you should have good luck with those.

As for the recoil pad, skip it and have a muzzle brake installed on it. It'll do far more, and won't lengthen your length of pull on the stock. Making the length of pull longer on the gun can cause problems with eye relief when you mount the scope, especially on a long action .30-06.

Bullseye Shooter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    Texas Panhandle
    My .30-06 liked 150 grain bullets the best for some reason.

You didn't say which 111 you got. I checked the Savage site and they have both wood stocked and AccuStock versions of the 111.

Installing a recoild pad on a wood stock, if done correctly, will not add to your length of pull. On the Accu Stock, I would shoot the rifle first before contemplating adding the recoil pad. The AccuStock should reduce some of the felt recoil based on what I've seen with them on various Savage rifles.

I don't think a 110 pad will fit the 111, since the 110 has a Monte Carlo type profile. Whoever installs the pad will be able to get the correct one for it.

mpolk

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Waco, Texas
    Thanks for the replies. The 110 and 111 wood stocks take the same pad and I do have the wood stock. I put the Limbsaver 10601 on it and it works great. Thanks again. Also the 150 gr bullets work great.

Top Bottom