• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MrRobot

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 28, 2021
    Matrix, TX
    Hello all,
    Just wanted to get some feedback if possible. Since the weather is getting a little better go shooting. I bought my Savage Axis II a couple of months back and still in the box.
    This is my first long-range rifle beside my Remington 308. My question what ammo grain should I get if I plan on going to the range to practice?

Once I feel I'm getting good I plan to do long-range if possible with this rifle. Knowing I could hit steel at 1000 yards is amazing to me and I can't wait for the experience and feeling. But I want to start out slow then move up with training or something.

Any kind of help would be awesome...

Thank you,
    Capitol Armory ad

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    The 140g bullets are considered the holy grail fir long range.

I ditched the Weaver cheap scope that came on mine. For 1000 yd shots you will need a good tactical scope. I put a Nikon Black FX on mine before Nikon gave up on scopes. It’s a great scope.

I recently put a Cabelas Covenant 7 scope on another rifle. It’s almost as good as the Nikon Black scope, but only costs around $350.

Last edited:

Txhillbilly

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    North Texas
    I really shouldn't reply to this, but here goes!
    Congrat's on buying a entry level firearm and wanting to shoot long range with it. Now, The Axis is a good gun, but you'll probably need to replace the stock, install a good trigger, and spend 2-3x the money you spent on the rifle for a scope that will actually track and have enough travel to shoot 1k yards.
    If you don't reload, buy at least one box of every type of match ammo for your gun, and see if it likes to shoot any of them. If it does, buy a case or two of that same ammo and lot #.

Shooting long range is fun and addicting, but it isn't cheap, nor is the equipment needed to do it.

MrRobot

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 28, 2021
    Matrix, TX
    Thank you guys for the good feedback. When my buddy told me "Ya you should get yourself a long-range it's fun" He forgot to mention how expensive it things are.

I started collecting reloading stuff and a lot of brass that I picked up when going to the range. I understand how the reloading works plus bought myself a good book as well. Even watch a lot of youtube videos. That being said with this whole Covi thing I can't find a good reloading place to learn. I just want to make sure I'm doing it correctly and not blow myself up.

That's the only thing that's stopping me from reloading.

Top Bottom