• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cityboy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2021
    Fredericksburg, TX
    Anybody seen or handled one of the new Savage Impulse straight-pull bolt action rifles yet? Or, are they available yet?

I'm new to Texas Gun Talk, but I've been hunting and shooting (more of the latter than the former) for more than 60 years, but I'm still learning. Hope to learn a lot more from the folks here.

Cityboy
    Gun Zone Deals

ST5MF

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    Anybody seen or handled one of the new Savage Impulse straight-pull bolt action rifles yet? Or, are they available yet?

I'm new to Texas Gun Talk, but I've been hunting and shooting (more of the latter than the former) for more than 60 years, but I'm still learning. Hope to learn a lot more from the folks here.

Cityboy

The “Impulse” is supposed to drop this March. I want to like this rifle; but the aluminum receiver just killed it for me.

ST5MF

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008

Why? Because if I’m going to shoot high pressure magnum cartridges it will be out of a steel receiver, and as others have added..a proven design. Being a beta tester for the Savage Impulse isn’t on my to do list. Mine is just an opinion, please feel free to explore the Savage Impulse.

smittyb

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nov 12, 2009
    Cut N Shoot
    I have never shot a 300WM out of a mossberg 500. You?
    Well, I tried, but the firing pin would not strike the primer and the round just slid out the muzzle end.
    Do you realize the AR-10 in all it’s chamberings (including 300 WM) utilizes bolt to barrel lockup and an aluminum receiver?
    Do you also mistrust those new-fangled polymer pistols?

Last edited:

ST5MF

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    Well, I tried, but the firing pin would not strike the primer and the round just slid out the muzzle end.
    Do you realize the AR-10 in all it’s chamberings (including 300 WM) utilizes bolt to barrel lockup and an aluminum receiver?
    Do you also mistrust those new-fangled polymer pistols?

And not a single one of your examples is a straight pull back rifle chambered in 300WM..but ok. And I carry a Glock. Not a Glock pull back rifle mind you..it is just a 9mm.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    And not a single one of your examples is a straight pull back rifle chambered in 300WM..but ok. And I carry a Glock. Not a Glock pull back rifle mind you..it is just a 9mm.

The aluminum receiver makes no more difference for a straight pull than it does for any other bolt gun. All the pressure is held by steel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom