• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ST5MF

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    The aluminum receiver makes no more difference for a straight pull than it does for any other bolt gun. All the pressure is held by steel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

again cool... let us know how it goes.
    Target Sports

Cityboy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2021
    Fredericksburg, TX
    The “Impulse” is supposed to drop this March. I want to like this rifle; but the aluminum receiver just killed it for me.

ST5MF,

Woops--guess I read over the specs too fast. I completely missed that the receiver is aluminum. However, I wonder if Savage would sell the rifle with an aluminum receiver if they hadn't proved that it is strong enough.

Cityboy

ST5MF

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    ST5MF,

Woops--guess I read over the specs too fast. I completely missed that the receiver is aluminum. However, I wonder if Savage would sell the rifle with an aluminum receiver if they hadn't proved that it is strong enough.

Cityboy

I guess time will tell. The beta testers will know before anyone, even before the clairvoyant among us.

cycleguy2300

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Austin, Texas
    And not a single one of your examples is a straight pull back rifle chambered in 300WM..but ok. And I carry a Glock. Not a Glock pull back rifle mind you..it is just a 9mm.
    The CETME is a straight pull held by bearings... so was the MG42...

Sent from your mom's house using Tapatalk

ST5MF

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    I’m impressed by the ability of people to ignore how physics work.

I’m impressed by the clairvoyance of those who know that there won’t be any issues with a rifle that hasn’t even been released yet. They should take those capabilities to the tracks.

ST5MF

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    The CETME is a gas operated straight pull held by bearings... so was the MG42...

cool. Those weapons have been proven, though I have never actually used either..the Impulse hasn’t even hit the streets yet.

cycleguy2300

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Austin, Texas
    I’m impressed by the clairvoyance of those who know that there won’t be any issues with a rifle that hasn’t even been released yet. They should take those capabilities to the tracks.
    No one is saying Savage didn't FUBAR it, we are just saying some who are chicken little-ing are making mountains out of mole hills at best.

Savage is using proven tech and advancing manually operated firearms into the last century. The only "new" thing is the look.

ST5MF

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    No one is saying Savage didn't FUBAR it, we are just saying some who are chicken little-ing are making mountains out of mole hills at best.

Savage is using proven tech and advancing manually operated firearms into the last century. The only "new" thing is the look.

“Chicken Little?” No one said the sky is falling...I simply won’t be a beta tester for the Impulse Rifle, to those who are let us know how it goes.

cycleguy2300

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Austin, Texas
    “Chicken Little?” No one said the sky is falling...I simply won’t be a beta tester for the Impulse Rifle, to those who are let us know how it goes.
    Youre scared of a Al reciever we point out there are many rifles and shotgus with AL recievers. You say you still dont trust it...

Youre scared of bearing locking lugs. We point out it is another proven technology and is and has been used for around 80years to good effect. You say you still don't trust it.

All of your posts on this thread at least have been absurd fear mongering (and trollesque) about something that uses proven tech and should work really well, as the other items using those techs work great.

If you disagree, allow me to refresh your memory:

"but the aluminum receiver just killed it for me."

"Why? Because if I’m going to shoot high pressure magnum cartridges it will be out of a steel receiver, and as others have added..a proven design. Being a beta tester for the Savage Impulse isn’t on my to do list."

"I have never shot a 300WM out of a mossberg 500. You?"

"And not a single one of your examples is a straight pull back rifle chambered in 300WM"

"The beta testers will know before anyone, even before the clairvoyant among us."

"I’m impressed by the clairvoyance of those who know that there won’t be any issues with a rifle that hasn’t even been released yet. They should take those capabilities to the tracks."

"Those weapons have been proven, though I have never actually used either..the Impulse hasn’t even hit the streets yet."

Each of these is you saying youre scared without providing any reason for your trepidations.

Cityboy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2021
    Fredericksburg, TX
    The aluminum receiver makes no more difference for a straight pull than it does for any other bolt gun. All the pressure is held by steel.

Younggun,

Does this mean the bearings lock into an extension of the barrel, which is steel, i.e., they do not lock into the aluminum receiver? If that's true, and the bearings are steel, I don't see how the receiver being made of aluminum would make any difference. Or did you mean that all of the pressure is held by the chamber and barrel, both of which are made of steel?

Cityboy

cycleguy2300

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Austin, Texas
    I do have a 40X and a GAP with Templar Action. Steel > Aluminum in a bolt gun for me.
    You're intentional ignorance is astounding.

Millions of bolt rifles use Al recievers. Steel would only add weight. An AR is nothing more than a straight-pull bolt-action that uses gas instead of your hand to work the bolt.

Add a barrel without a gas port and it IS straight pull bolt gun, like most auto loaders.

I just don't even understand why you would bring up a subject then when corrected, continue to stay your ignorant course.

cvgunman

Not a Leftist douchebag!
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Oct 9, 2017
    Mckinney TX
    1611341158383.png

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Younggun,

Does this mean the bearings lock into an extension of the barrel, which is steel, i.e., they do not lock into the aluminum receiver? If that's true, and the bearings are steel, I don't see how the receiver being made of aluminum would make any difference. Or did you mean that all of the pressure is held by the chamber and barrel, both of which are made of steel?

Cityboy

Correct. Basically the same system as every other bolt action rifle on the market. The only difference is that instead of lugs rotating in to a locking position it uses a centered pin to force ball bearings outward in to a groove locking the bolt in place. The bolt face still has to deal with pressure and will be pushed back as hard as the bullet is being pushed forward, but the bolt is locked in to steel, no aluminum.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Irowland1994
    Top Bottom