Military Camp

Saw a guy carrying a IWB Glock today in a elementary school parking lot.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jbgramps

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 20, 2011
    Austin
    I was picking up my granddaughter from school this afternoon so she could spend the night with us. As I was sitting in my pick-up waiting for the bell to ring a guy walked by my truck, went to the bicycle rack and rolled them to the parking lot. As he passed my truck again I noticed his t-shirt had ridden up exposing his pistol in an IWB holster.

I watched him in my rear view mirror as he loaded the bikes into his SUV then get in vehicle. He sat there until the kids started coming out of the building. I was look for my granddaughter and lost track of him.

I thought about this incident and wished I'd walked over and told him about his weapon being exposed. But at the same time it was illegal for just being on school property. Sigh, some people will have to learn the hard way.
    DK Firearms

jbgramps

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 20, 2011
    Austin
    Sigh! What did you think he was gonna' do?
    I think he just wasn't thinking about where he was. If the guy doesn't care if he carrying at an elementary school then he probably wouldn't have appreciated me saying something to him. In today's climate people carrying guns on school property will not be taken lightly. Next time some anti-gun nut will call the cops on him.

busykngt

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    McKinney
    I doubt I would’ve said anything to him either.

First, I personally don’t endorse the idea of “Gun Free Zones” (otherwise known as ‘Shooting Galleries’). And secondly (assuming the guy was otherwise legal to carry), it’s on him if he gets caught violating the law. He’ll play hell EVER getting his 2A rights restored. Of course this may change at some future point in time but for now, why take the chance? And yes, IF some anti-gunner saw him, he’d be in all kinds of trouble.

BillRedding

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2017
    Colorado Springs, CO
    "And yes, IF some anti-gunner saw him, he’d be in all kinds of trouble."
    -- busykngt

...which is why WE need to say something to him FIRST. Don't be so timid, speak to the guy. After all, we're ALL in this together. The Lone Wolf "don't care about anyone else but me" attitude typical of CCers isn't helpful (yes, a number of CCers in CO, NM and TX have TOLD me they don't care -- shameful).
    I know *I* would have spoken to him...but I'm an OCer, and that's probably the difference (OCers have a different outlook). I DO care about others -- even CCers (!) -- and speak to people regularly about carrying/looking out for their own safety. Haven't seen someone CCing flash his/her gun accidentally (or otherwise) but if I did, WOULD let him know.
    What's the worse that could happen, he/she gets upset with me? So what, why be so fearful? Just do it, let them know.
    -- BR

Last edited:

busykngt

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    McKinney
    It’s not a matter of being fearful. It’s a matter of me not trying to “fix stupid”.

It sounds like your assumption is, he simply doesn’t know any better. My assumption is, he has a cc license, so has been trained to know better. And since he’s made a conscious decision to violate the law, he’s on his own as far as I’m concerned. What part of a “Gun Free Zone” sign (not to mention, state statutes) does he not understand? I expect adults to take responsibility for their own actions - most especially when they’ve been trained to know the law that applies to carrying - and have elected to ignore it.

Last edited:

Grundy1133

Born on a Monday
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2018
    Gainesville, TX
    School premises usually means in the building, heck I remember keeping my rifle on my back seat in high school.

Sent from my iPhone with a general disregard for the masses
    yeah I've discussed this a lot with a lawyer form a differnt forum. AFAIK and IANAL but you can walk anywhere on the parking lot or sidewalks as long as it's concealed and you're outside. as soon as you walk into the building you're breaking the law. what I was told is that the GFSZ Act bars anyone unlicensed from possessing a handgun within (i think) 5000 feet of a school. But as I understand it a LTC holder can CC up to the front door. Im gonna see if I can find the thread... there were a few people who said they walk right up to the door when dropping their kids off at school.

found it http://www.texaschlforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=91777&hilit=drop+kids+off+at+school

most notably this post

"Federal law prohibits gun possession within 1000 feet of a school unless the individual holds a LTC issued by that state or has a dwelling in that area. So, if you have a LTC from Texas you can carry on the parking lot, sidewalk, etc. but not in the building. There must be a ton of Texans driving by schools every day with a gun in the glove box and no LTC. Lots of criminals.
    If you want to have lunch with your girlfriend and you both have LTC you can do so as long as you are not in the building. So, enjoy lunch in the parking lot and you can carry in the parking lot. The only question would be if there were some kind of organized event in the parking lot. I would hold that as iffy.
    These GFSZ laws are really terrible because we have so many innocent Texans in violation every day. They just drive by the school under MPA and are guilty unless they also have LTC from Texas. I would guess that a federal LEO would have to be involved but who knows what an aggressive cop might do if you were caught and didn't have LTC. Now post office parking lot is still a GFZ even with LTC. That's sure smart. Who will arrest you when you drive through and put your letter in the mail box?
    As has always been said, if need be there is always a crime that you have committed."

Last edited:

Grundy1133

Born on a Monday
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2018
    Gainesville, TX
    basically what I take away from that is that as long as theres no school sponsored event going on, you can carry outside concealed all day. But imo to avoid any type of "i wonder" scenarios just avoid schools at all costs until they repeal the stupid gun free safe zone act

Grundy1133

Born on a Monday
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2018
    Gainesville, TX
    also this post http://www.texaschlforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=92287

Section 46.03 prohibits carry "on the physical premises of a school or educational institution", as well as "on the premises where a high school, collegiate, or professional sporting event". It later defines "school" as "a private or public elementary or secondary school" but doesn't provide any further definition that I can find of "high school".

Wildcat Diva

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 26, 2016
    yeah I've discussed this a lot with a lawyer form a differnt forum. AFAIK and IANAL but you can walk anywhere on the parking lot or sidewalks as long as it's concealed and you're outside. as soon as you walk into the building you're breaking the law. what I was told is that the GFSZ Act bars anyone unlicensed from possessing a handgun within (i think) 5000 feet of a school. But as I understand it a LTC holder can CC up to the front door. Im gonna see if I can find the thread... there were a few people who said they walk right up to the door when dropping their kids off at school.

found it http://www.texaschlforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=91777&hilit=drop+kids+off+at+school

most notably this post

"Federal law prohibits gun possession within 1000 feet of a school unless the individual holds a LTC issued by that state or has a dwelling in that area. So, if you have a LTC from Texas you can carry on the parking lot, sidewalk, etc. but not in the building. There must be a ton of Texans driving by schools every day with a gun in the glove box and no LTC. Lots of criminals.
    If you want to have lunch with your girlfriend and you both have LTC you can do so as long as you are not in the building. So, enjoy lunch in the parking lot and you can carry in the parking lot. The only question would be if there were some kind of organized event in the parking lot. I would hold that as iffy.
    These GFSZ laws are really terrible because we have so many innocent Texans in violation every day. They just drive by the school under MPA and are guilty unless they also have LTC from Texas. I would guess that a federal LEO would have to be involved but who knows what an aggressive cop might do if you were caught and didn't have LTC. Now post office parking lot is still a GFZ even with LTC. That's sure smart. Who will arrest you when you drive through and put your letter in the mail box?
    As has always been said, if need be there is always a crime that you have committed."
    Why would it have to be CC? Open carry in public is legal.

busykngt

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    McKinney
    Sounds like it’s the perfect next crusade for OC Texas to take up! Let’s see how far they (or anyone, for that matter) gets in open carrying right up, next to a high school building. Any takers? It’s legal....you’re not breaking any laws...

Last edited:

jbgramps

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 20, 2011
    Austin
    I had assumed carrying on any school property was illegal. But after reading the responses I looked up the laws on it.

As most have pointed out it is legal to carry in a school parking lot. The guy in this situation only went to the bike rack which is about 50 feet from the door. So he was legal. I'm assuming he was otherwise carrying legally.

Still, Considering the high tension about guns and schools right now I would not carry an exposed weapon on any school property. I just think that's inviting someone to call the cops and and get your name in the paper.

I don't believe in gun free zones; and think having trained folks carrying firearms on campus would be a good thing. But until the laws are changed no one should be carrying on any part of school property. Just too easy for some anti-gun jerk to panic and cause a school lock down and swarm the school with cops.

Last edited by a moderator:

Wildcat Diva

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 26, 2016
    I’m not saying make a spectacle of yourself but in case your shirt rode up or you were printing? Why emphasize that CC is legal but OC isn’t, when that’s bunk?

Wildcat Diva

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 26, 2016
    I live less than 5000 feet from a school and I’ll be damned if I modify my carry when I’m walking on the sidewalk for exercise.

Yesterday some sketchy dude in a beat up truck craned his head my way and honked at me (I was wearing jeans and a long sleeve blouse). Next time I am gonna give my piece a pat and point in his direction.

jbgramps

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 20, 2011
    Austin
    I’m not saying make a spectacle of yourself but in case your shirt rode up or you were printing? Why emphasize that CC is legal but OC isn’t, when that’s bunk?

The laws I read didn't state a difference between OC and CC. It just discussed where you can carry. Maybe there are other laws which discuss any legal differences but I didn't search for them.

I think this is one situation where CC would be OK but OC or accidentally exposing your concealed weapon would be a problem. I again think there are a lot of skittish people would would freak out if they saw a gun anywhere on school property. In this case I didn't see the guy's gun until he was walking away from the school. I wonder if I would have reacted differently if I'd saw his weapon as he was walking toward the school?

Wildcat Diva

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 26, 2016
    That long post I quoted upthread mentioned that CC specifically was legal while suggesting that OC was not. That’s just untrue.

Freak outs allowed. If my weapon is holstered people can then learn to chill the hell out as I’m cruising down the sidewalk.

Last edited:

Kar98

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2016
    DFW
    Haven't seen someone CCing flash his/her gun accidentally (or otherwise) but if I did, WOULD let him know.

I'll thank you to keep your opinions to yourself. To me, legal OC means I carry CC but don't have to worry if my piece gets exposed.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Chasewhat0
    Top Bottom