• ...and so much more!
  • cuate

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Comanche Co., Texas
    Cut off barrel to 18 1/2"

Was shooting Cowboy Action matches with a hammerless double barrel shotgun, cut off barrel at 18+ a half an inch to be safe from the ATF,
    used a radiac wheel in a high speed air grinder, drilled and tapped a hole for front sight installation. Later swapped for a Winchester Model 1897 pump 12 guage, performed the same operation on it. Still have the rascal and I have actually shot and hit clay pigeons with it. Its legal and I like it, handy too rather than a long barreled one.
    ARJ Defense ad

country_boy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Round Rock
    I cut mine down to 20". Winchester wanted to charge me $195 for a 18" barrel even with that they didnt have them in stock and still dont. If its ribbed find a gap at that length first cut the bridge with a dremel, then use a pipe cutter. Mine still works good for snake and such. Not a turkey hunter.

texas_teacher

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2009
    South Korea
    Hmmmmm now you leave me with a tough decision RacingJake... I have to decide whether I want the new toy of a single shot break open or if I want to equip my old reliable 88 as a home defense 6 shot wonder... choices choices choices...

cowboy45

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2008
    mexia texas
    If it a plain barrel,no rib, you can use a large tubing cutter to make a straight cut. Crowning can be done with a dremel or a tapered dowel rod with sand paper. On a shotgun crowning only makes it clean, on a rifle it can greatly affect the accuracy.

robocop10mm

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 9, 2009
    Round Rock
    Heavy duty pipe cutter (about $10 at your big box store) works very well on plain barrels. You will lose any choke and end up with a cylinder bore barrel.

texas_teacher

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2009
    South Korea
    Was shooting Cowboy Action matches with a hammerless double barrel shotgun, cut off barrel at 18+ a half an inch to be safe from the ATF,
    used a radiac wheel in a high speed air grinder, drilled and tapped a hole for front sight installation. Later swapped for a Winchester Model 1897 pump 12 guage, performed the same operation on it. Still have the rascal and I have actually shot and hit clay pigeons with it. Its legal and I like it, handy too rather than a long barreled one.

Finally got me a sawed-off too instead of sawing my Maverick... 20 gauge Stoeger Coachgun should do the trick for home defense...

willygene

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 3, 2009
    texas
    in texas the law is rifle with barrel length no shorter than 16 inches with a over all weapon length of no less than 26 inches or a shot gun with a barrel length no less than 18 inches with an over all weapon length of no less than 26 inches. 18 and 1/4 is fine for the crooked stick after fifteen years toting a badge for a living i have not had or seen the trouble with the crooked stick thing. texas penal code 46.01f10 title short barrel firearm.

Major Woody

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 12, 2008
    I cut down my Mav 88 to 20", put TruGlo turkey sites and a Limb Saver on it, and it takes clays, turkeys and doves, no problem. Used a metal cutting chop saw and reamed inner and outer edges, then re-blued the cut.

Buckles

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 2, 2009
    Cypress, TX
    So, how is the barrel length measured? Do you measure from the breach side of the chamber or from were the end shell sits in the barrel?

with the action closed, you stick a rod down barrel until it stops on the breach face, from that point it where you measure. that is how ATF does it when checking weapons.

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    ahhh, why would you cut up a shotgun?

A new or lightly used, 18" one can be had for dirt cheap. Less than couple hundred bucks if your patient.

android

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 9, 2009
    Austin, TX
    There's a couple of bicycle steering tube cutting guides that you guys may find useful for this. The SG-6 costs about $30. I've used on on a steel and CF steering tubes before and got very nice, straight clean cuts.

Park Tool Website

I've never tried this one, but it looks like it may even work if a barrel isn't completely round.
    Park Tool Website

willygene

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 3, 2009
    texas
    wrap around magnetic templets from a welding supply easy to use will give you a good strait cut. dont worry about the value of the gun if you plan on keeping it it's a mossberg .

Major Woody

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 12, 2008
    I cut my 28 " ribbed tube to 19 " so I could use the rib to attache TruGlos. The stock 18 1/2" tube is smooth. Took mine rubbed some extra oil on it and killed a whole box of clays and six dove with mine this week end. Rained and misted all day. The Tru Glo's turkey sites shine bright even in overcast lighting. The ATI ARstyle buttstock, the five shell holder and the universal light holder for my minimag, is the total. I got 4 out of five. The only problem I had was Fiocchi 7 shot yellow. 3 ea in the tube, everyone jammed , cleared two but the third fired, but locked up. I stepped away, and unscrewed the tube and removed the barrel, took out the fired shell and put it back together. Went back to my Remington # 7 1/2, # 4, 000 buck and one slug, no problems. We don't have to chop up the brush pile either. We were cooking dove on the barbie and the dove started flying, they got grilled too. Rainy days are good. Mossberg /Mav 88's are good. The dove hunting was good.

Top Bottom