• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PWF3

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 15, 2008
    Simple question: What would keep me from sawing off my own 12ga Mossberg? Is there any change in the patterning? Most (all) gunsmiths around here won't even consider it. Length is no problem, I'm only wanting to cut off 2" or so. One said that by the time he cut it off and "crowned" it, I would be better off buying a new barrel. What's "crowned" anyway?

Vellcrow

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 8, 2008
    Pflugerville
    What will you be using the shotgun for after it is cut? If for home defense and buckshot, nothing notable will change, even slugs won't be that much different. I have cut many of my HD shotguns and never had them crowned...no issues after doing either.

PWF3

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 15, 2008
    Thanks Vellcrow, that's what I thought. It would be for Home Defense. How did you cut it off? just in the shop with a hacksaw and lots of TLC?

Vellcrow

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 8, 2008
    Pflugerville
    Thanks Vellcrow, that's what I thought. It would be for Home Defense. How did you cut it off? just in the shop with a hacksaw and lots of TLC?

My first time was with a hacksaw, file and cold blue kit. I have also used a Dremel tool to help cut or clean things up.

Just take your time and make sure you don't take off too much.

Floyd_Droid

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 28, 2008
    Shady Shores, TX
    My question is WHY would you want to saw one off??
    Why not sell it and get a Mossberg 500 or a Winchester 1300 defender?

Sawed off shotguns are only good at close range....

BTW isn't there some legalities about how short the barrel can be?

TexasHK

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2008
    Seguin, Tx
    Actually,
    If you're talking a Shotgun...your barrel must be 18.5" and it is best to be a bit conservative on that as you never know the mind on of the officer you may encounter who inspects your weapon.

Rifles can go down to 16" barrels, but just live by the 18.5" shotgun barrel length rule.

nalioth

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Houston Metro
    Actually,
    If you're talking a Shotgun...your barrel must be 18.5" and it is best to be a bit conservative on that as you never know the mind on of the officer you may encounter who inspects your weapon.

Rifles can go down to 16" barrels, but just live by the 18.5" shotgun barrel length rule.
    Federal law states 18".

Lots of folks defer to the "It must be 18.5"." sentiment for safety reasons ( if you cut your barrel at 18", but make a crooked cut, and any part of it is under 18", you're in possession of an unregistered SBS - cutting at 18.5 keeps the 'crooked-cutters' safe ).

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    Federal law states 18".

Lots of folks defer to the "It must be 18.5"." sentiment for safety reasons ( if you cut your barrel at 18", but make a crooked cut, and any part of it is under 18", you're in possession of an unregistered SBS - cutting at 18.5 keeps the 'crooked-cutters' safe ).

LOL, crooked cut on a 12-gauge.

"I don't know why my shotgun kicks to the left so much".

mac79912

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2008
    I cut my NEF single shot from a 28" to a 18" and had to take it to have a choke installed as I had a lot of issues with my cut.

Joat

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    Kenefick, TX
    I've cut many barrels down with a pipe cutter and cleaned up the ridge left inside with a bridge reamer. (The wonders of cowboy action shooting.)
    For a single barrel, no rib, a pipe cutter works great. Even if you don't have a cutter stout enough to make the entire cut with, it will cut a groove into the barrel that you can then use as a cut guide with a hacksaw. Be sure to remove the ring left by the cutter, either with a reamer, round file, dremel, etc, or the barrel WILL end up shorter than you expected when the end splits because of the constriction.

Just a hint, mark the TDC of the barrel where the new bead will go before you cut the end off. It's easier to verify that the bead is on top of the barrel when you have the old sight still in place. (I do speak from experience on this:rolleyes:)

Joat

mac79912

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2008
    Thats what happened to mine.I ended up getting another barrel because the choke cracked the end of the barrel.Is this common?The metal seemed to be weaker after the cut.

Joat

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    Kenefick, TX
    Mac,

The metal was probably not weakened significantly if you cold cut the barrel. More likely there was a burr or ridge left in the bore and when it was struck by the shot column it caused the damage. I have seen muzzle ends torn off of shotguns by people using a choke with too much constriction for the shot being used as well as from the improper installation of a front sight bead (not smoothing the tail that extended into the bore fully)

Joat

texas_teacher

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2009
    South Korea
    Ok so as I'm reading 18.5 is usually a safe bet when sawing off and the tips about using a pipe cutter and a hack saw and a dremel are all awesome tips that I will take into consideration. What is everyone using for home defense? I figure most are using 12 gauge but I was wondering if there was anyone using 20 or 410? If so I was wondering what the reason for the different caliber was? Thanks...

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    I have a Mossberg with a 20" barrel and a Surefire Forend. However long guns are difficult to deploy in a confined environment like a house. It can be done, and very effectively, but I strongly suggest some training.

And shotguns MUST be aimed. At across the room distances my Mossberg patterns very tight. One ragged hole at 3 yards (9 feet) and under 4 inches (all pellets within the 10 ring on a standard B27) at 7 yards (21 feet).

At 15 yards (45 feet) the pattern is only 5 inches, putting only 2 pellets out of the 10 ring.

Be sure to pattern yours after you hack it up.

RacingJake

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 22, 2008
    Abilene
    I use a Maverick 88 that I cut down to 18.5 and shorten the stock 1 inch. Took it to the range a few weeks ago to blow the dust off with slugs and 9 pellet 00 buck. It will get the job done when called upon.

007-2.jpg

texas_teacher

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2009
    South Korea
    Gotcha I will definitely think about taking it to the range and zero it in afterwards. I've got the 88 and I love it to death. I love busting clays with it. I don't think I could cut it at all. I'm think more of a single shot break open and filing it down. Probably 12 gauge so you get that devastating spread with 00, but you never know. All I know is yes a good aim does take power in a home hostile situation, but one shot of 00 even if it doesn't put the perp down it stuns them until their jaw can meet the blunt force of my sawed-off's stock.

texas_teacher

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2009
    South Korea
    Where do you find one for 80 bucks? I was looking at one of the longer barrels at WalMart for 95 but would love one that didn't take a vise and a steadyhand.

Top Bottom