• ...and so much more!
  • Mreed911

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 18, 2013
    Austin, TX
    There are no "non-arrestable" offenses in Texas.

For speeding and open container the Officer is required to give the violator a chance to sign a promise to appear. If he refuses to sign, off to jail he goes.

Correct, on an instanter. He's not being arrested for speeding. He's being charged with it and instantly magistrated (or as instant as the local jail magistrates).
    Venture Surplus ad

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Austin
    Correct, on an instanter. He's not being arrested for speeding. He's being charged with it and instantly magistrated (or as instant as the local jail magistrates).

Taken to jail to be magistrated= arrested for speeding.

Why do you have to try to play "expert" on the internet? My point was that when OC takes effect CHL holders won't really have to worry about signs anymore.

locke_n_load

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Houston, TX
    Taken to jail to be magistrated= arrested for speeding.

Why do you have to try to play "expert" on the internet? My point was that when OC takes effect CHL holders won't really have to worry about 30.06/30.07 signs on premises other than churches, amusement parks, and hospitals anymore.

FIFY. You damn better be paying attention to 30.06/30.07 at those locations. Properly posted signs there can land you a class A misdemeanor still. Better pay attention to those 51% signs still as well - carrying into those locations is still a class 3 felony.

Last edited:

motorcarman

Compulsive Collector
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 13, 2015
    Rural Wise County, TX.
    After a certain speed above the posted limit you ARE driving in a reckless manner???
    75 in a 30mph zone will probably get you there. 150 in a 70 will most likely result in jail time.

bob

Mreed911

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 18, 2013
    Austin, TX
    After a certain speed above the posted limit you ARE driving in a reckless manner???
    75 in a 30mph zone will probably get you there. 150 in a 70 will most likely result in jail time

The point on that derailment was that at that point you're not arrested for speeding because you CAN'T be arrested for speeding (caveat: sign the ticket).

For 30.06/30.07 after Jan 1, even though it's a Class C, it's an arrestable Class C. How many departments will authorize a Class C custody arrest for it? We'll see (many departments have policies against Class C custodial arrests). If it happens, though, your weapon gets removed from you and becomes evidence at the trial/proceedings, and will likely be part of a deal (we'll let you off if you forfeit your weapon, etc.).

Like others have said, we should expect problems to be FEW given the few problems in other states... but there HAVE been certain departments in other states that have been problems... so the number isn't going to be zero.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    The point on that derailment was that at that point you're not arrested for speeding because you CAN'T be arrested for speeding (caveat: sign the ticket).
    Yes, it is. Refuse to sign and you can be ARRESTED. Arrested = handcuffed, searched, car impounded, transported to and booked into jail.

For 30.06/30.07 after Jan 1, even though it's a Class C, it's an arrestable Class C. How many departments will authorize a Class C custody arrest for it? We'll see (many departments have policies against Class C custodial arrests). If it happens, though, your weapon gets removed from you and becomes evidence at the trial/proceedings, and will likely be part of a deal (we'll let you off if you forfeit your weapon, etc.).
    Many? I don't know about that. Disorderly Conduct, PI, etc., are all Class C's that result in arrests. At least departments where I know officers.

And remember, ignoring a sign is a Class C, refusing to leave after being told to is still an A.
    Like others have said, we should expect problems to be FEW given the few problems in other states... but there HAVE been certain departments in other states that have been problems... so the number isn't going to be zero.

I am more worried about the knuckleheads that want to argue with business owners and police. I want this law to be no big deal. That is in our hands.....

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    Was it speeding, or reckless driving?

The incident I am referring to happened about 40 yrs. ago.
    At the time I was told it was due to the fact they were doing over 100mph.

I was stopped for doing over 85 (slowed down to 97, lol) in Virginia (10 yrs. ago), got a ticket for reckless driving, which I was told was the same penalty as a DUI.

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    The incident I am referring to happened about 40 yrs. ago.
    At the time I was told it was due to the fact they were doing over 100mph.

I was stopped for doing over 85 (slowed down to 97, lol) in Virginia (10 yrs. ago), got a ticket for reckless driving, which I was told was the same penalty as a DUI.
    Reckless Driving and DWI are same charge in Texas as well( 1st offense DWI) and by same charge I mean Class "B" misdemeanor.

RottenMutt

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2015
    This is my opinion, and i cant wait for some of this to be tested in the courts. For entrances with multiple doors, placing 30.06/30.07 the sign on doors that open does not constitute clearly visible unless it is every door and on both sides as doors can be held open as i approach and now not clearly visible, signs should be posted to fixed panes of glass. Sign should not have color letters as some people are color blind which would render the sign not legible, signs should be black and white. Also the portion of the sign between the between the () brackets is usually reference in many documents, so i would be inclined to obey both wordings.

Mreed911

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 18, 2013
    Austin, TX
    This is my opinion, and i cant wait for some of this to be tested in the courts. For entrances with multiple doors, placing 30.06/30.07 the sign on doors that open does not constitute clearly visible unless it is every door and on both sides as doors can be held open as i approach and now not clearly visible, signs should be posted to fixed panes of glass. Sign should not have color letters as some people are color blind which would render the sign not legible, signs should be black and white. Also the portion of the sign between the between the () brackets is usually reference in many documents, so i would be inclined to obey both wordings.

So, when are you going to get started helping us test your opinion in the courts?

I'll volunteer to take the video.

DangitDon

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 24, 2015
    Cowtown, USA
    I used to carry a concealed pistol all the time, even long before the CCls came out. My family was motorcyclists and would often be gone for a week end. I was not going to leave us un-protected. I now carry everyplace except the boarding area of airports. I weighed 225lbs at the time and could conceal a weapon very easily. Now I only weigh 123lbs and concealment is a little harder.
    On the open carry; Black market guns sell for more than new ones from a gun store, so there will be a lot of car break ins at places that don't allow open carry. I'm sure some of the parking lots will have watchers for people going to the stores door and returning to their car to put their gun inside. Please take off any stickers that have anything to do with guns on your car. It may help to put a bumper sticker on it that says "Ban all Guns" or something of the sort.

Mreed911

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 18, 2013
    Austin, TX
    On the open carry; Black market guns sell for more than new ones from a gun store, so there will be a lot of car break ins at places that don't allow open carry. I'm sure some of the parking lots will have watchers for people going to the stores door and returning to their car to put their gun inside. Please take off any stickers that have anything to do with guns on your car. It may help to put a bumper sticker on it that says "Ban all Guns" or something of the sort.

That, or carry such that you can conceal if you actually have to do business in one of these places. No reason to put a gun in a car, unsecured, when it can be secured on your person.

The easier answer is don't do business with folks that don't want it if you don't have to.

There is absolutely no reason to ever leave a gun unsecured in a vehicle. If you do have to go someplace prohibited, ensure you have a security device to secure your firearm against common criminals. I've got a small lockbox and cable, and in my car I have a concealment option most criminals wouldn't look for. I also don't leave other things lying around to tempt them (unless, of course, they want my $.59 tire pressure gauge from the center console).

No way in hell I'd ever advertise for the enemy.

CHL_card-1.jpg

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    So far my bank , BBQ joint, United grocery store , academy , feed store, Lowe's have not posted
    I'm in good shape

Mreed911

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 18, 2013
    Austin, TX
    If that option is something you added to the vehicle then don't drive through Ohio.

Like everything else, there's more to the story:

He consented to the search
    He had drugs

And the law itself says:

(I) This section does not apply to a box, safe, container, or other item added to a vehicle for the purpose of securing valuables, electronics, or firearms provided that at the time of discovery the box, safe, container, or other item added to the vehicle does not contain a controlled substance or visible residue of a controlled substance.

It's basically a (bullshit, IMO) enhanced charge for hiding drugs in a vehicle.

Top Bottom