Without Life there can be no Liberty.

tumblr_m7maxr4fUe1rq3b5ko1_400.gif
    Venture Surplus ad

craftkr

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2011
    Rockport, Texas
    So what was the price say 2 years ago for AE ammo such as this?

-Without Life there can be no Liberty-

Less than that...

But I would think what will be the price or availability of AE ammo in the future? Buy now while it's there! I remember a few months ago it was scarce to see any ammo much less have a variety and be able to shop for good deals.

Just my thoughts, your dollar buys less and less at time goes by....

Southpaw

Forum BSer
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    Guadalupe Co.
    So what was the price say 2 years ago for AE ammo such as this?

It's a little hard to find AE exactly, but here are some samplings from past years.
    There were some smokin' deals, but it isn't all that much more, and if you wait for the right deal it's just about the same, almost.

gun-deals.com - User-Submitted Gun & Ammunition Deals

For reference:

You should know also that up till 2011, there was a lot of surplus on the market (Radway, Hirtsenberger(?), South African, etc.) and it was going for .50 a round or lower. Also, in mid 2011 and pretty much up until mid 2013, commercial FMJ .308 was seemingly scarce for whatever reason, and that was even before Sandy Hook. Believe me it sucked as I was shooting a lot of it then and would have to buy in bulk or go without.
    Except for the really great deals here and there back in 2011/2012, I'm still paying about the same for .308 FMJ as I was, but it's around a bit more then now.

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Just trying to develop a baseline. I know whats a good deal in 9mm/556 but pretty new to 308.

So it sounds like the WalMart find isnt bad and the PSA stuff looks like a good deal.

Russian 308 worth buying?

Southpaw

Forum BSer
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    Guadalupe Co.
    Just trying to develop a baseline. I know whats a good deal in 9mm/556 but pretty new to 308.

So it sounds like the WalMart find isnt bad and the PSA stuff looks like a good deal.

Haven't had any functioning issues with it, but I mainly use it in my PTR.

Southpaw

Forum BSer
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    Guadalupe Co.
    Interesting as I've been reading up on PTR's the past hour. How you like yours?

I did have some issues with it that I had it sent back to PTR to remedy, but other then that I really like it. The new ones after a certain point have all gotten good reviews and haven't had the issues that some earlier ones did.

I bought mine with the telescoping stock, but wound up shelving that stock for a surplus fixed one.

Spare parts are plentiful and cheap, FOR NOW!! Also, though I think $2.50 for mag is expensive, that's because I was buying them for less then a dollar at first. :)

craftkr

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2011
    Rockport, Texas
    I did have some issues with it that I had it sent back to PTR to remedy, but other then that I really like it. The new ones after a certain point have all gotten good reviews and haven't had the issues that some earlier ones did.

I bought mine with the telescoping stock, but wound up shelving that stock for a surplus fixed one.

Spare parts are plentiful and cheap, FOR NOW!! Also, though I think $2.50 for mag is expensive, that's because I was buying them for less then a dollar at first. :)

Sounds good, appreciate the info!

Andy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 13, 2013
    Dallas, TX
    149 will not work for some rifles from what I have been told. Jordan (TGT member) mentioned that the 145 I had posted was too light for the M1A he shoots. I would assume the 149 would be too light as well.
    First off, NATO 7.62x51mm M80 ammo has a 147gr FMJ bullet - 149gr is plenty close enough.

Second, it's not so much the weight as the bearing-length of the bullet - the section of the bullet that actually makes contact with the rifling. A longer bearing-surface needs a bore with a faster rate of twist - think of the AR-15s with a faster 1/7" twist that shoot heavier (actually longer) bullets better.

It just so happens that generally-speaking, a longer bearing-surface weighs more - hence the commonly-held mental shortcut that "Heavier bullets need a faster twist".

A 1-12" twist is generally-accepted as being the optimum twist for 147gr FMJ BT bullets - but many 7.62 rifles are built with a 1-10" twist, which suit heavier bullets better and might not group as well with the lighter 147-150gr bullets.

Southpaw

Forum BSer
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    Guadalupe Co.
    First off, NATO 7.62x51mm M80 ammo has a 147gr FMJ bullet - 149gr is plenty close enough.

Second, it's not so much the weight as the bearing-length of the bullet - the section of the bullet that actually makes contact with the rifling. A longer bearing-surface needs a bore with a faster rate of twist - think of the AR-15s with a faster 1/7" twist that shoot heavier (actually longer) bullets better.

It just so happens that generally-speaking, a longer bearing-surface weighs more - hence the commonly-held mental shortcut that "Heavier bullets need a faster twist".

A 1-12" twist is generally-accepted as being the optimum twist for 147gr FMJ BT bullets - but many 7.62 rifles are built with a 1-10" twist, which suit heavier bullets better and might not group as well with the lighter 147-150gr bullets.

Thank you

Last edited:

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.

One correction. Bullet length, not bearing surface.

Usually they will go hand in hand but not always. Using the Greenhill formula you use the bullet length as it is the true determining factor.

A.Texas.Yankee

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    NTX

If you can get it for less than .70 a round, you ain't doing too bad. Russian is actually goods stuff, but stay away from corrosive ones.

Sent from my EVO 4G LTE using Tapatalk

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    "think of the AR-15s with a faster 1/7" twist that shoot heavier (actually longer) bullets better."

You guys get better all the time! This is correct! I do agree that it's not the bearing surface but actually the length of the projectile that determines what twist rate is needed but that's nit picking. The bullet cannot get bigger as its weight gets heavier so it must get longer and a faster twist is needed to stabilize it. Well done, gentlemen!

As to the OP.........I just switched one of the Dillon RL550b's over to .308 and have worked a sizable batch of .308 brass to get it ready to reload. Even with Sierra Match King bullets, I can beat the crap outta that price and end up with match quality rounds. I'm not bragging and I would never tell you what to do, but being insulated from market factors is a real nice thing! Reloading works well for me!

I'll give you a hint for today's market. (Keep this quiet). The way you buy reloading components today is to disregard the "Back order" notices. Enter your order and back order, wait it out and when a shipment comes in, back orders are filled, stock is depleted and it's on back order again. The back order is the secret to getting ammo and components in this market! I hope that helps!

Flash

Top Bottom