Texas SOT

SB-16 Passed Senate Committee - Timeline?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • klarowe

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2016
    Friendswood, TX
    I saw today that SB-16 (lower cost for LTC) passed the Senate committee last night. What can we expect for a timeline on this? I was going to take my LTC course on April 8th but I'm not sure if I should wait or not.
    Lynx Defense

fishingsetx

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 15, 2015
    Just a guess, but you are probably looking at September at the earliest and possibly Jan of 2018.

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "Holy shoot....what a ride!"

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    Yeah - the bill still has to make its' way through the house, then final votes in the Senate if there's any changes, THEN to the Governor. I AM hopeful for a September effective date, but we'll see.

Bozz10mm

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2013
    Georgetown
    I wonder if they will retain the discounts for seniors (currently $35) and honorably discharged veterans (currently $25).

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    As written, the bill will retain all current discounts at their present rate - it's only the regular license that will be affected - dropping from the current $140 to $40.(proposed)

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    Having a LTC in hand is worth two in the works. If when I was getting mine they were planning on changing the price, I'm sure I would have paid the price to get it sooner than later.

Southpaw

Forum BSer
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    Guadalupe Co.
    Having a LTC in hand is worth two in the works. If when I was getting mine they were planning on changing the price, I'm sure I would have paid the price to get it sooner than later.

Some may be carrying on out of state permits and are considering waiting to see if there is a change too.

rman

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 7, 2015
    Ft. Worth
    meh. i guess the brightside is mine has saved me a couple bucks since i got it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Wiliamr

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Austin
    Bill: SB 16
    Legislative Session: 85(R) Author: Nichols
    Add to Bill List | Add to Alert List
    Stage 1
    Filed

11/30/2016
    Stage 2
    Out of Senate Committee
    3/21/2017
    Stage 3
    Voted on by Senate
    3/27/2017
    Stage 4
    Out of House Committee
    4/21/2017
    Stage 5
    Voted on by House

Stage 6
    Governor Action

Stage 7
    Bill Becomes Law

Legend

Indicates bill passed stage
    Indicates bill has not reached stage
    Indicates bill failed to complete stage

Helpful Links
    Legislative process
    Introducing a bill
    Referral to a committee
    Committee reports Floor action
    Governor's action
    Effective date
    Legislative glossary

Stage 1
    Bill filed by Nichols on 11/30/2016.

Stage 2
    Bill reported out of Senate committee on State Affairs with vote of 9 Ayes, 0 Nays, 0 Present Not Voting, 0 Absent.

Stage 3
    Bill passed the Senate.

Stage 4
    Bill reported out of House committee on Homeland Security & Public Safety with vote of 6 Ayes, 0 Nays, 0 Present Not Voting, 3 Absent.

Stage 5
    Not reached.

Stage 6
    Not reached.

Stage 7
    Not reached.

kotetu

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 23, 2013
    Houston
    Here's NRAILA on the topic:
    https://www.nraila.org/articles/20170502/texas-house-approves-license-to-carry-fee-reduction-bill

Dear Texas NRA Member:

On Tuesday afternoon, the Texas House of Representatives approved Senate Bill 16 -- NRA-backed legislation sponsored by Rep. Phil King (R-Weatherford) and Sens. Robert Nichols (R-Jacksonville) & Joan Huffman (R-Houston) that significantly reduces the cost of a License to Carry (LTC) -- by a 129-17 vote. The measure was amended to allow peace officers to obtain LTCs at no cost, so the bill must be sent back to the Senate for agreement with this amendment.

http://www.capitol.state.tx.us/Bill...0016&RcdVtNo=623&Ch=H&Dt=5/3/2017 12:00:00 AM

Legislative Session: 85(R) Unofficial
    Bill: SB 16
    RV# 623 — Unofficial Totals: 129 Yeas, 17 Nays, 1 Present, not voting

Yeas - Allen; Alonzo; Alvarado; Anchia; Anderson, C.; Anderson, R.; Ashby; Bailes; Bell; Biedermann; Blanco; Bohac; Bonnen, D.; Bonnen, G.; Burkett; Burns; Burrows; Button; Cain; Capriglione; Clardy; Cook; Cortez; Cosper; Craddick; Cyrier; Dale; Darby; Davis, S.; Davis, Y.; Dean; Deshotel; Dutton; Elkins; Faircloth; Fallon; Farrar; Flynn; Frank; Frullo; Geren; Giddings; Goldman; Gonzales; González; Gooden; Guerra; Guillen; Gutierrez; Hefner; Hernandez; Herrero; Holland; Huberty; Hunter; Isaac; Johnson, E.; Johnson, J.; Kacal; Keough; King, K.; King, P.; King, T.; Klick; Koop; Krause; Kuempel; Lambert; Landgraf; Lang; Larson; Leach; Longoria; Lozano; Lucio; Martinez; Metcalf; Meyer; Miller; Morrison; Muñoz; Murphy; Murr; Neave; Nevárez; Oliverson; Paddie; Parker; Paul; Perez; Phelan; Phillips; Pickett; Price; Raney; Raymond; Rinaldi; Roberts; Romero; Rose; Sanford; Schaefer; Schofield; Schubert; Shaheen; Sheffield; Shine; Simmons; Smithee; Springer; Stephenson; Stickland; Stucky; Swanson; Thierry; Thompson, E.; Thompson, S.; Tinderholt; Turner; VanDeaver; Villalba; Vo; White; Wilson; Workman; Wray; Wu; Zedler; Zerwas

Nays - Arévalo; Bernal; Canales; Coleman; Collier; Gervin-Hawkins; Hinojosa; Howard; Israel; Minjarez; Moody; Ortega; Reynolds; Rodriguez, E.; Rodriguez, J.; Uresti; Walle

Present, not voting - Mr. Speaker(C)

Absent, Excused - Laubenberg

Absent - Dukes; Oliveira

Top Bottom