SB730 - Employer parking lot bill filed

Discussion in 'Gun Legislation' started by Charles L. Cotton, Feb 10, 2009.

1. Charles L. Cotton

Charles L. Cotton Member

Nov 21, 2008
    Friendswood, TX
    A+ rated Sen. Hegar has filed SB730 which, if passed, will protect employees from employer policies forbidding the storage of firearms in the employee's locked motor vehicle while in a company parking lot, garage or other parking area. This is a very good bill without the notice requirements that raised much concern last session.

For more information, please go to TexasCHLforum.com • View topic - 2009 Status Report of Bills Filed - Texas

Chas.

2. SIG_Fiend

SIG_Fiend Administrator TGT Supporter Admin

Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Here's the text of the bill ;-):

Texas Legislature Online - 81(R) History for SB 730
    81(R) SB 730 - Introduced version - Bill Text

3. TexasRedneck

TexasRedneck 1911 Nut Lifetime Member

Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    It's an excellent start! Takes care of most things, but in a lot of places there's a fenced employee parking area. That's fine - but the second the employee hits the street, he's a potential unarmed victim again. At least, that's the way I read it.

But hey - it's a step in the right direction. Once all the folks realize that the world doesn't end because law-abiding citizens can carry a gun to work, they can revisit and try to relax it a bit more.

4. SIG_Fiend

SIG_Fiend Administrator TGT Supporter Admin

Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Well if you look at this part:

The only way a private employer is allowed to restrict it is if they also provide a place to securely store the firearm while on the employer's property, OR they provide a separate parking area.....I dunno I guess for those with firearms stored in their cars. ;) The creating a separate parking area part is kind of iffy though. I could see that getting challenged or lawsuits being filed over that should it be enacted with that specific stipulation as that would be separating and identifying all vehicles on the property that contain stored firearms, which is just asking for theft issues.

5. 45tex

45tex Well-Known

Feb 1, 2009
    Great news! Now if open carry can get introduced we will be going somewhere.

6. Texas1911

Texas1911 TGT Addict

May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    I just store it in the car, the employer never knows any the wiser.

7. Charles L. Cotton

Charles L. Cotton Member

Nov 21, 2008
    Friendswood, TX
    It is highly unlikely a company will set up a "special" lot just for people with guns in cars. About the only place I can see this actually being used is in the petrochemical industry. Plants commonly have a general parking area for most people including employees, and an inner fenced area protecting the plant. Some people, typically supervisory personnel, can park inside the inner fence. It is this inner fenced area close to the working units that companies would most likely make off-limits. In the last to legislative sessions, this has become known as the "two fence rule" and it was created specifically for the petrochemical industry to counter their arguments about the operating units.

Unlike last session, this also applies to all legally possessed firearms, not just CHLs.

Chas.

8. tllstaco

tllstaco New Member

Dec 30, 2008
    Support for SB730

I think this is wonderful. Just got done writing Senator Hegar and my local Senator in support of the passage of this bill.

9. DRod

DRod Active Member

Feb 22, 2009
    I was just talking about this at work the other day.

Most of the convo agreed with the idea that we should be able to leave our guns in the car at work. But our HR folks refer to our "handbook" and tell us that its a violation of company conduct and punishable by termination. But it also states that they reserve the right to search, which includes our vehicles for any reason (sounds fishy right?). I ask about HB1815 and they tell me that of course I can have my gun in my car, just not on company property. Hmm, funny how that works. So... What they don't know wont hurt them.

I hope this passes to protect those who have the unfortunate luck, maybe me someday, to have their vehicles searched for who knows why.

10. thorkyl

thorkyl Active Member

Oct 13, 2008
    Brazoria County
    As it stands now, March 23rd this will be heard in The House Public Safety Committee.

Keep us in your prayers as we go testify.
    I will keep you advised on how it goes for us.