• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RCS2

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Houston
    I want to install a folding stock on my VZ 61 Scorpion so I need to complete Form 1 for an SBR permit. So far no law enforcement agency seems to know or wants to know about the CLE signature.

I would appreciate any help or comments.

It is hard to believe that in Texas I am having so much problems, even the local ATF office has been of no help
    Capitol Armory ad

WB5MHA

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Houston
    Most everyone in Houston incorporates or drafts a trust. Each represents even more paperwork and each has its drawbacks. However I have never over all these years found a local CLEO to sign off.

1911 is correct in that you should ask a dealer in NFA weapons like Talon Arms. A dealer in Houston recently offered to "obtain" a CLEO signiture for me. I turned the offer down. Remember that YOU are responsible for each step being done legally. The NFA examiner may approve your form 1 while another can come back years later and find problems and the violation will fall guess where? Your LLC didn't file IRS forms one year because it had nothing to report? You are to blame.

I have a Scorpion I would like to convert to SBR as well. Keep in mind that the 599 dollar pistol will be 200 dollars more with your stamped form one plus the cost of adding the shoulder stock. If you send it off to the guy in Tenn. CZ recommends the total will put you well over a thousand with shipping. He charges 175 which includes engraving, stock etc and the warranty on your new gun stays in effect. NFA collecting and shooting is not inexpensive in any case.

My most recent form 1 submission is nearing two months in the works in West Va. My check was cashed early January. Current estimates are from three months to six months. For some reason trusts and LLC submissions are the fastest to be approved. (I use the word "fastest" jokingly)

Good luck with your project.

RCS2

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Houston
    Most everyone in Houston incorporates or drafts a trust. Each represents even more paperwork and each has its drawbacks. However I have never over all these years found a local CLEO to sign off.

1911 is correct in that you should ask a dealer in NFA weapons like Talon Arms. A dealer in Houston recently offered to "obtain" a CLEO signiture for me. I turned the offer down. Remember that YOU are responsible for each step being done legally. The NFA examiner may approve your form 1 while another can come back years later and find problems and the violation will fall guess where? Your LLC didn't file IRS forms one year because it had nothing to report? You are to blame.

I have a Scorpion I would like to convert to SBR as well. Keep in mind that the 599 dollar pistol will be 200 dollars more with your stamped form one plus the cost of adding the shoulder stock. If you send it off to the guy in Tenn. CZ recommends the total will put you well over a thousand with shipping. He charges 175 which includes engraving, stock etc and the warranty on your new gun stays in effect. NFA collecting and shooting is not inexpensive in any case.

My most recent form 1 submission is nearing two months in the works in West Va. My check was cashed early January. Current estimates are from three months to six months. For some reason trusts and LLC submissions are the fastest to be approved. (I use the word "fastest" jokingly)

Good luck with your project.

Thanks for the comments above, true then the Scorpion becomes a $1,000 gun. However the price increase is pretty much accross the board for any SBR application.

You seem to have done it before and if you are in Houston, whom did you get to sign or did you go the trust route.

Another possibility I am looking at is a sling set-up like the one for the B&T TP9 which might work somewhat.

WB5MHA

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Houston
    RCS2; We established a trust which covers us to purchase and store (and shoot) NFA weapons. Some locals use an LLC others a revocable trust. I recommend reading everything you can find on the internet about your various choices. I know one individual who owns some of his NFA assets in a trust, some in his LLC in which he does business as an FFL. Others are simply FFL "dealer samples". So he really owns various NFA assets in three different ways.

You are the only one who knows best how you want to own SBRs, AOWs, FAs Supressors etc. I really recommend speaking with an attorney because the stuff you buy will become part of your estate. If you have no family you can always leave them to me!

I agree that the Scorpion is a fine weapon worth every bit of 1k. Now that ammo costs an arm and a leg it may be best to own one as an SBR. The FA Scorpions go through ammo at an incredible rate. Of course the SBR and the FA look the same and both are very well made. Finally, very VERY few entered the US early enough to be transferred by form 4..........almost none. I had experience with one in Central America and fell in love with it.

My NFA specializing attorney is available and I'll give you the phone number by PM if you like. Several local lawyers do this work. They charge more or less the same and are all very qualified. Good luck my friend.

SC-Texas

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Houston, TX
    Trust, corp or LLC is about the only way to go in Houston.

No one that I know of has gotten LEO sign offs in some time.

I can help you with a trust or LLC if you want to go that route.

RCS2

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Houston
    That is a possibility that I will have to further evaluate because it adds further to the expense of having an SBR.

In any case it is a shame that in our Great State of Texas, Harris County officials (CLE, judges, attorney generals, etc.) will not sign on a form that basically does not put them in any legal jeopardy and it is just part of the process so the ATF once receives the documentation does the background check. I feel it is fully political in nature so that the gun haters do not have another reason to bash them.

To that effect law abidding gun owning citizens should not vote for any of them just to proove a point regardless of what political party they belong too.

WB5MHA

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Houston
    That is a possibility that I will have to further evaluate because it adds further to the expense of having an SBR.

In any case it is a shame that in our Great State of Texas, Harris County officials (CLE, judges, attorney generals, etc.) will not sign on a form that basically does not put them in any legal jeopardy and it is just part of the process so the ATF once receives the documentation does the background check. I feel it is fully political in nature so that the gun haters do not have another reason to bash them.

To that effect law abidding gun owning citizens should not vote for any of them just to proove a point regardless of what political party they belong too.

If a liberal Harris county candidate wanted to be elected next term all he would need to say is "my conservative opponent signed off on permission for individuals to purchase submachine guns and silencers". Very few voters in this county would look into the matter much farther. The typical voter is pretty shallow and probably opposed to automatic weapon/silencer ownership in general. In Terrell County where we owned a place until recently the Sheriff was well known to every citizen in the county. They would know if he was doing something shady. It's hard to hide in a county of about 600 people. He answers his own office phone. If you have a question you just call or ask next time you see him at the only gas station in the county.

RCS2

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Houston
    If a liberal Harris county candidate wanted to be elected next term all he would need to say is "my conservative opponent signed off on permission for individuals to purchase submachine guns and silencers". Very few voters in this county would look into the matter much farther. The typical voter is pretty shallow and probably opposed to automatic weapon/silencer ownership in general. In Terrell County where we owned a place until recently the Sheriff was well known to every citizen in the county. They would know if he was doing something shady. It's hard to hide in a county of about 600 people. He answers his own office phone. If you have a question you just call or ask next time you see him at the only gas station in the county.

Well put, and it is truly a shame but the longer I get to live the longer I feel we live in a country of frogs (think about it). T

Then again a conservative candidate could say: My estimed colleague is against law abiding citizens owning guns in accordance with the second ammendment of our Constitution. Furthermore he is empowering those elements in society which do not abide by any legal means of acquiring firearms. (just horsing around but a good point)

Regarding the sherriff in Terrell County, if he was involved in shady deals he should have lost his job. If he lost his job due to signing Forms 1 that is truly a shame.

WB5MHA

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Houston
    RCS2; Terrell County, by the way, is the county depicted in the Tommy Lee Jones' movie NO COUNTRY FOR OLD MEN. Sanderson is the county seat. Law enforcement officers out there are not immune from trouble. Some years back the sheriff of a neighboring county accepted money from the Acosta drug running gang and ended up in prison. However guns are considered tools in places like that. Nobody goes out some lonely ranch road unarmed. Sheriffs in such places go by a different set of rules than a sheriff in an urban county like ours.

Frankly I prefer a place where you can call the CLEO on the telephone, chat a while, talk about hunting and ask for a perfectly legal favor which anyone in the county would understand. Guns are commonly seen in parts of west Texas and attract no special attention. Automatic weapons in the hands of a resident would not be considered an act of terrorism. At the worst people would question how you could afford a FA UZI for example.

SC-Texas

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Houston, TX
    Harris county used to sign off, but poliitics has caused the elected officials to refuse to sign off on NFA forms.

I beleive that a Judge who used to sign off on NFA forms made the local news some years ago for allowing people to have Machineguns and silencers.

I have heard that the New District Attorney may sign, but I do not beleive anyone has been successful . . . if they have, they have kept quiet about it.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Irowland1994
    Top Bottom