• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2013
    Spring, TX
    Can you legally purchase and posses (but not install) a 14" shotgun barrel and then file your ATF paperwork to convert your shotgun into an SBS? Or do you have to have your tax stamp approved before purchasing or possessing the barrel?
    Hurley's Gold

craigntx

Masta Copypasta
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 25, 2010
    Cypress, Tejas
    Can you legally purchase and posses (but not install) a 14" shotgun barrel and then file your ATF paperwork to convert your shotgun into an SBS? Or do you have to have your tax stamp approved before purchasing or possessing the barrel?
    if you have the short bbl in the same location as the rec. that can be construed as constructive intent.
    keep it at moms house ;)

The Lox

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 6, 2010
    Farmers Branch
    It seems to reason that if you have filed the application for the rifle/sbs you would need to barrel to properly measure your "build". This whole constructive intent shit seems to be BS to me. I have a sawzall and a couple shotguns, I could easily cut them all down in about 10 minutes. I guess that is constructive intent???

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2013
    Spring, TX
    Follow up SBS question.

ATF Form 1, Section (e) and (f).

If your barrel length is 14" and fill out your paperwork with an overall length calculated using a collapsible M-4 style stock (guessing about 36" in overall length) - if you later change the stock to a pistol grip - would you be required to file another Form 1 showing the shorter overall length (w/ the pistol grip) and thus incur another $200 fee?

I'm not asking for the pros and cons of a stock versus pistol grip. I'm just interested in the legal aspects, in case anyone has ever run across a similar scenario.

Thanks.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2013
    Spring, TX
    So you're filing the form for a weapon you might not have. Stupid advice.

Well let me rephrase the question.

Let's say I file my Form 1 for SBS with the weapon in one configuration - (e.g. w/ a 14" barrel and collapsible stock) and receive my stamp.

If I later choose to remove the stock and install a pistol grip (and keep the 14" barrel) - do I need to file a new Form 1 and submit $200 for a new stamp, due to a change in configuration (i.e. change in OAL)?

I've never filed a Form 1 and I don't want to submit incorrect paperwork. I just want to be sure I do the right thing if I decide to reconfigure the weapon in the future.

40Arpent

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    Well let me rephrase the question.

Let's say I file my Form 1 for SBS with the weapon in one configuration - (e.g. w/ a 14" barrel and collapsible stock) and receive my stamp.

If I later choose to remove the stock and install a pistol grip (and keep the 14" barrel) - do I need to file a new Form 1 and submit $200 for a new stamp, due to a change in configuration (i.e. change in OAL)?

I've never filed a Form 1 and I don't want to submit incorrect paperwork. I just want to be sure I do the right thing if I decide to reconfigure the weapon in the future.

Just to be clear, if you look at my post, i was responding to Craig's advice.

In my opinion, all you would need to do is keep the original stock so that the weapon could be returned to its original configuration, to stay legal with one stamp. I'm following the same logic as SBR's where you can file one form for a certain length, and use shorter barrels, as long as you keep the original length barrel indicated in the form, so that you can return the weapon to the configuration listed on the form. But yes, an attorney specializing in NFA laws would be your best source.

Top Bottom