• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Toolfreak

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2016
    Allen Texas
    I went to a different range today than I normally do here in Dallas and I was extremely happy to finally shoot a 10mm that I rented there and so life was good until then! I was impressed of how well organized and clean it was so all is well, right? I noticed a lot of newbies coming in because the RSO was talking to them and showing them the ropes and every once in a while I would step back after I put my gun down just to watch. When I first got there the guys to the left of me said they came in weekly and they stayed for a while and we talked a little and then they left. Then a young girl and guy came and was shooting to the left of me and I continued to shoot for a while and a few minutes before I was ready to pack up I turned around when I heard a commotion. The RSO was talking to a young lady to the left of me and he was very stern with her and he told her that he saw her on the camera that she loaded the gun and her finger was on the trigger and before she shot she turned around completely from down range and faced everybody and then turned back around and then shot. He proceeded to explain in detail what she did, and how wrong it was and that she could have shot someone and possibly kill them. The whole situation stopped me in my tracks because people were on both sides of this girl and I didn't know which way she turned but at that moment I packed up and left. I have heard an RSO tell someone to keep the gun pointed downrange even when they are done and they have put their gun down but I have not been that close to a situation like this and I just have to be even more aware if I go to this range again.
    Texas SOT

gshayd

Ugliest house on the block.
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2018
    Beaumont, Texas
    I was in the Army when we had to train some New Docs and Nurses for their basic officer training on how to handle weapons in case wounded came in. All the rules got violated that morning. Thank goodness nothing was loaded. Needless to say, I was glad I did not have to go to the range for live fire with them. :eek: The women would be talking to another person with the weapon pointing it at them and some of the men too.

Bozz10mm

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2013
    Georgetown
    I know from personal experience that is a scary situation. It happened to me on a military firing range while I was acting as a Range Safety NCO. An officer's 1911 jammed. She turned 180 degrees from the target, sweeping me and several others.

With the firearm still pointing straight ahead she exclaimed, "Hey, my gun is jammed". I was as stern as I could be to a Major, without being insubordinate, while pointing out to her what she had just done. Damn, either the Range Officer in the tower didn't see what happened, or he ignored it.

WT_Foxtrot

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 23, 2019
    North Texas
    Range I go to has been pretty good and I usually go at times when it's less busy and I'm often the only one there. But I'm always one to step back between mags and take a peek at the goings-on in other stalls just to be sure. Haven't seen anything bad yet, but this sounds like it was. I was always taught and I teach my kids the same......every gun is loaded and ready to fire even when it's not. Period. There are no do-overs or second chances with firearms. Many have never gotten that simple training or instruction and we have to remember that when at a range.

Glad no one was hurt and hopefully lesson learned.

Lost Spurs

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 24, 2011
    BCS
    This post is why I hate indoor ranges. When I was in Minnesota like 10 years ago, I was chatting with the guy at the counter selling range time and bullets. They had glass windows looking out over the range. Some feller, with his revolver pointed at us, finger on the trigger, filled up the cylinder and snapped it closed. He proceeded to sweep the whole line and went on shooting. When the RSO called him out, he had no idea what he had done.

I have only gone to indoor ranges 2 or 3 times since.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

WT_Foxtrot

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 23, 2019
    North Texas
    Stories like this make me happy I have my own private range.
    I can count on one hand how many public ranges I have shot at in the past 5 years.
    Tragedy can happen so fast with careless people.

Man, I'm with you. I used to do all my shooting at the cabin, deer lease, ranch, whatever. But since I've gotten more into regular shooting sessions and live in the burbs, if I want to shoot regularly I have to go to a local range. Luckily my time is really flexible and can go at odd times when no one else does. But when they are there, I always keep my eyes peeled. Most are good, but only takes one idiot.

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    Indeed vmax. One was my 44 mag I let a friend shoot. I knew it wasn’t loaded but In order to get my point across I jumped on that shit. The really bad one was a big fight. Bird hunting while in my early 20’s. A guy we all knew was an idiot we gave him a chance. Been a hunter longer than I have though. So pretty sad. We hike back out and I’m in the lead, I turn back to talk with him and notice he’s being lazy with his shotgun and it’s pointed at me. I dodge out of the way and proceed to get in his face. Years later we heard from his family he nd’d into his own roof cleaning his 300 win mag. We all stopped hanging out with him. I was pissssed that hike.

llbts1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2018
    Aledo, Texas
    I go to an outdoor range. When I get there, I sit and observe the others before I get out of my truck. I'm looking for idiots. It doesn't bother me to leave before I get my gun out. If someone pulls up while I'm shooting, I stop and observe them. I trust no one.
    It only takes one time.

gshayd

Ugliest house on the block.
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2018
    Beaumont, Texas
    The old Drill sergeants used to carry those brass rods to see if the weapon was cleared. It could ring a steel pot on the range. Sometimes you had to grab a wrist on a turner if you were close enough. When we ran a range in the Army everybody got told we will give you courtesy on the range. However, stupid will be stopped with less courtesy.

BillFairbanks

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2017
    Johnson County, TX
    I stopped going to my nearest range when nobody said anything to the two guys messing with a jammed gun in the next bay. I couldn’t see where they were pointing it while they were both in the bay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dad_Roman

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 1, 2018
    Teague
    I have found that most indoor ranges are the same. Gotta watch your "6"

There is always 3 in my family minimum when we go so one is always tasked with watching the range. We have been swept many times and I have taken shrapnel in my chest that had to be dug out (dunno what that guy was shooting) so you never know whats going to happen.

Our #1 family rule (beyond the standard safety rules) is that ANYONE can call it and we are leaving right now. When you are on the firing line you really are not aware of what transpires behind you or around you. This rule has been evoked many times. More than you would think....and its a quick bugout move with explanations to come later.

For minor infractions my oldest son takes the RO role. He seems to have developed that calm friendly voice while explaining what hideous infraction you just violated. He's good at it to.

Love PSC.

sidebite252

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2013
    Lake Texoma
    Glad it’s not just me. I’m always keeping an eye on the crowd when the range is busy. Due to my schedule I’ve been able to go to our local range during hours when it’s not too busy.

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    I used to be a member of the outdoor range in Odessa, being the closest range to where I lived I figured it would be more convenient. Unfortunately they seemed way too loose with the rules most times and the people that were using the range didn't use common courtesy, let alone follow the rules explicitly. There were times that I cut my range time short because I didn't feel that safe.

I joined the Midland Shooters Association and it's like night and day. For the most part, or at least what I have observed, the people there are more courteous and the range is in much better condition. My guess is that the more orderly condition of the range attracts a more orderly client. Although it is about a half hour further, it's worth a more enjoyable experience.

I can understand an RSO's reaction in the OP's case, it would be a very serious situation had something gone wrong, and that point needs to be driven harshly to make that point.

DaleGribble82

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2019
    NC
    Most dangerous environment when shooting is when boyfriend/husband are teaching girlfriend/wife and have no idea themselves what the **** they are doing but wanna act all macho and make the woman uncomfortable while doing so. That is the most dangerous shit. Girl gets nervous guy is saying “NO NOT LIKE THAT LIKE THIS!!” Not good hell no!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom