Join TexasGunTalk

SCCY Pistols

Discussion in 'Handguns' started by K9117, Jun 19, 2019.

1. K9117

K9117 New Member

May 5, 2008
    Wood County, TX
    Hello from Mineola, TX. I'm sorry if this has been discussed before, and if so, I can't seem to find it in a search.
    Does anyone have hands-on experience with SCCY pistols? Good or bad? My son, 40 years old, has been looking at a CPX-1 9mm but I've never fired one so I'm unable a give him advice on their quality and reliability. He needs a pistol just for home security and he's found a new CPX-1 for $179.00.
    Thank you very much for your help in this matter!
    G. Powell

2. 45tex

45tex Well-Known

Feb 1, 2009
    Had one. thought it felt cheap. But it did go bang every I time pulled the trigger. The CPX-1 has a useless safety. The raised area around the safety lever bothered my hand. This was deleted on the 2.

3. txtanut

txtanut New Member

Jun 16, 2010
    fort worth
    I have cpx-2 and put a couple of boxes through it. It went bang every time. I think Kel-tec makes a better gun but each to his own.

4. vmax

vmax TGT Addict TGT Supporter

Apr 15, 2013
    If you buy one, it'll be worth about 40% of what you paid for it five minutes after you walk out of the store.

V-Tach likes this.
  5. grumper

grumper Well-Known

Jul 5, 2012
    Austin
    Awful triggers.

Sam7sf likes this.
  6. Charlie

Charlie TGT Addict TGT Supporter

Mar 19, 2008
    Kerr County
    Don't know anything about them, but it appears that the above posts pretty much tells one you get what you pay for.

7. Darkpriest667

Darkpriest667 Actually Attends

its the worst trigger I've ever experienced on a handgun. If you have a budget and want to buy your son a gun. We could give suggestions based on budget. I'd steer clear of SCCY.

Sam7sf likes this.
  8. zackmars

zackmars Active Member

Nov 4, 2015
    galveston county
    Not good pistols. I've seen a few that would not run no matter what i tried.

Encourage him to spend more, even bumping his budget to $300 opens him up to police trade in glocks, S&W M&P's, caniks, etc.

A defensive firearm is not something you want to cheap out on, after all, you wouldn't cheap out on a fire extinguisher, would you?

Sam7sf likes this.
  9. GoPappy

GoPappy Active Member

Dec 18, 2015
    If your son can add about $100 to that $179 budget, it opens up a whole world of better guns. Heck, there was a Walther PPS listed on the buy/sell forum here the other day for $250, and that's a great gun.

But here are just a couple of examples of new ones he can buy today:

Smith & Wesson Shield - $257
    https://www.kygunco.com/Product/Vie...ing&utm_medium=Email&utm_campaign=Fathers Day

Walther Creed 9mm - $250
    https://www.cdnnsports.com/walther-...m_term=Product&utm_campaign=CDNN+Sale+6-19-19

no2gates, Dancing Heretik and Sam7sf like this.
  10. Byrd666

Byrd666 Flyin' 'round in circles........somewhere

Dec 24, 2012
    Hill County
    My opinion is as such. The trigger is horrendous. Too long and too hard with the break in a weird place, not allowing for accuracy. I have large hands, so take that part for what it's worth. They are good "truck guns" and good for the tackle box. And maybe even a back-up pillow gun. Spend a bit more and get a Ruger, Walther or S&W.

If that gun shop on 69 (?) and 80 by the auto parts store is still open, try talking to them. Used to buy from them quite often when they/he had the storefront on 80.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2019