• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    I think you may be reading more into the wording than the message I'm trying to convey.

I am responding to what you WROTE. Words have meaning. Feel free to clarify if you wish, but MANY people read these threads and have no idea when deadly force is justified. We have a responsibility to NOT mislead them. ;)

Greg_TX

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2009
    Klein, TX
    Very interesting thread. The scenarios and comments make me think about how tough the job of an LEO can be - they might have to make the same decisions as discussed, and as an LEO their actions would probably be scrutinized more than a civilian involved.

San Antone RR

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    San Antonio
    Intriguing read. I would probably have shot when he swept the store with the firearm. It is real to me and i would feel a threat to life. I consider myself a reasonable man and I would have no problem with that action.
    Civil suit? maybe. Feel bad about the outcome and lose sleep? Probably.

Adionik

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 16, 2009
    san antonio
    Interesting that I find this thread, as i'm about to send my CHL packet off.

Lately, my outlook has changed a bit on the whole robbery thing. I would gauge the BG the best I could. If he looked mentally unstable and really close to killing someone, I would probably pull the trigger. If he looked like he just wanted the cash, i'd let the PD take care of him. No point in getting my life turned upside down and risk ruining my future for a few hundred bucks.

Wolfwood

Self Appointed Board Chauvinist
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    I am responding to what you WROTE. Words have meaning. Feel free to clarify if you wish, but MANY people read these threads and have no idea when deadly force is justified. We have a responsibility to NOT mislead them. ;)

very good point.

mincing words if f'ing annoying, though i hadnt thought of it fromt hat perspective.

but TXI, riddle me this, as soon as the bg drew his water pistol and declared the robbery, what position would the shooter be in if he loosed a few rounds before the BG turned around, that is while he still had his 'weapon' trained on the clerk. deadly force is authorized in order to stop an armed robbery as i understand it so far.
    but then again (and this may very well be jsut to many westerns floating around in ym head) isnt there a law in texas against shooting a man in the back that doesnt specify any special circumstances? again, saying it outloud (well typing it quietly) make sit sound kindof silly, but what the heck never hurts to ask...

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    very good point.

mincing words if f'ing annoying, though i hadnt thought of it fromt hat perspective.

but TXI, riddle me this, as soon as the bg drew his water pistol and declared the robbery, what position would the shooter be in if he loosed a few rounds before the BG turned around, that is while he still had his 'weapon' trained on the clerk. deadly force is authorized in order to stop an armed robbery as i understand it so far.
    Deadly force is justified to prevent an AGGRAVATED robbery, whe you resonably believe it was immediately necessary to prevent its imminent commission.
    but then again (and this may very well be jsut to many westerns floating around in ym head) isnt there a law in texas against shooting a man in the back that doesnt specify any special circumstances? again, saying it outloud (well typing it quietly) make sit sound kindof silly, but what the heck never hurts to ask...

There is no law against using deadly force against someones back.

wrtanker

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2009
    Ft. Worth
    I'm not an LEO. As a couple of others have said, if all the guy is after is money/merchandise then I'm going to sit quietly and let him go. On the other hand, if he presents a real, deadly threat to others, especially me or mine, then I'm going to take action. The trick, of course, is figuring that out before he takes the first shot. If I do fire then regardless of the outcome I know I'm going to relive the event over and over second-guessing myself for a long time to come.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    By the way, the title of the thread is a little misleading. "Shooter in a Surf Shop" is not the same as "Man with a Gun in a Surf Shop." The latter is more accurate, as someone actually shooting in a surf shop is definitely a different and much more critical scenario...

But this goes along the lines of a scenario I've heard of on many occasions where you come across a shooter in gang clothing who turns out to be an undercover police officer...

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DSDExpresso
    Top Bottom